LegacyGT.com

Miles at delivery!?!? Everyone chime in! :)

OK, so we waited 6 months for our Outback LL Bean Edition. After a bunch of "problems with the order", it finally arrived. BUT, it has 46 miles on it! The dealer swears (they even showed us a copy of the log when cars are dropped off, which lists miles the car has coming off the truck) that it was delivered with 43 miles and they put on 3 miles to get gas (1.5 miles each way). Also, the car was indeed intended for this dealer (the window sticker and a call to SOA proves this) so it's not like it came from another dealer. I have heard good things about this dealer and even though we've had some really, really odd problems (which should tell me where there's smoke, there's fire), is 43 miles at delivery odd? SOA tells me there have been cars delivered with up to 100 miles and they consider that "normal". That seems REALLY REALLY wrong to me, but maybe *I'M WRONG*?!? :) Reply back with your miles at delivery and make sure you clarify if the car was "right off the truck" or came from another dealer/dealer trade, etc. Thanks!!!! michael.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Mine had 7 miles on it and that was AFTER they took it to fill up the tank. They called me to let me know the car had arrived, even BEFORE they unloaded it from the truck. Personally, if I ORDERED a car and it had more than 20 miles on it, I wouldn't be happy. Would make me wonder what required the delivery folk to drive the car around that much with plastic on it and such. I took delivery of a Toyota Tacome in 2003 that had 3 miles on it. I mean really how many miles can delivery people put on a vehicle taking it from the factory lot onto a truck, then from that truck onto the dealer lot. Even if they had to switch trucks a couple times, unless they are parking the trucks miles away from each other how could you POSSIBLY put that much on them. Maybe the delivery guys used your car to run and get lunch a couple times before they decided to put it on the truck and deliver it to your dealer.

7 miles after PDI with my vehicle. If the vehicle came directly from the port to the dealer, I don't see how it could have 43 miles on it. But I don't think there is much that can be done except refuse delivery on this vehicle. Ken

PDI is just the shop doing a complete inspection of the car to make sure everything is okay, filling it with gas, detailing and cleaning it up. So other than a test drive to make sure everything is fine and filling up the car with gas, the PDI process shouldn't add more than 2-3 miles to the car.

I know that none of the miles had to do with the PDI - they explicitly told me that the car was delivered off the truck with 43 miles and that it had come directly from SOA with that many miles.... so it's not from the PDI or anything the dealer did. It came STRAIGHT OFF THE TRUCK with 43 miles.

The last couple cars I bought had <10 miles on them. That is about what you'd expect for a car that was driven on & off a train & a couple trucks, then driven by the dealer for a few miles. The 2.5i that I just bought had 35 miles on it, 10 of which were my test drive. So I'm assuming that someone else test drove it. before me. --Mike

It's not like if you don't adhere to break-in rules for 43 miles the turbo will fall off or anything like that. I'd double check the car to make sure there are no scratches, stains, cigarette ash, worn out tires, or anything like that. The subaru dealer I went to didn't have a test car- they pretty much took any car off the lot for a test drive. I took one with 43miles on it and I know I didn't adhere to those break-in rules. Does it suck that you have more than 10 miles on your car? Yeah, but as long as it drives well and has no damage to it, enjoy the car! If your really pissed you could make a big stink about it and maybe they might give you a gift or some subaru bucks or something like that.

PDI -- not a whole lot. The dealer basically drives it off the truck into their service area, goes through the checklist of items to prep the car, fills it with gas, sends it over to the detailing department and it should be done. Ken

Mine had 9, but wasn't there a news story a few years ago where some manufacturer's imported cars were arriving at dealers with a higher than normal number of dings and dents, etc. Turned out the folks at the staging lots where the cars come off the boats were doing an autocross type thing in the middle of the night just for kicks!

It's not unusual at all for a few cars to have that type of mileage straight from the factory. As part of Subaru's commitment to providing a quality product, certain cars are chosen at random for test drives and inspections to check the quality at the factory. It's not a big deal, just consider your car "double-checked" for quality.

Mine had 73 miles on my GT when i toolk delivery and i know the dealer has a storage are outside the city, so I'm not worried. Also there was a post on this last month some time and someone told us that dealers hire older people for doing dealer swaps, and transport from lots, and i have seen a number of shrink wraped cars with dealer plates on them with older people driving them. They hire older people for this because alot tend to drive by the break-in rules for the life of the car and most learned to drive when there were no automatics or when automatics were still new and had tons of bugs in them.

Archived