LegacyGT.com

Hey Florida folks, I need some tire help: Summers or All-Seasons?

Bud Manstrong

Uncle Sam's decided that he's going to give me a check with which to put some new shoes on my car. Fantastic. I'm trying to decide between going with summers and all-seasons, though, and I'm at an impasse. If I go all-season, I'll more than likely be picking up the RE960AS, since they're one of the best around. I've been thinking about just getting summer tires, though, seeing as how here in Gainesville, we have two seasons: Swamp and Pleasant. Even in the midst of Pleasant, it only gets down to the 30s a few times a year. My brother's been running summers on his car for a while, and he doesn't seem to have any problem with them. So what about you guys? What kind of tires are you running? Any reccomendations?

RE960's here. Very very good all season. 40 and below summer tire rubber gets hard and not so sticky. You make the call. However I have a friend with an M3 and he rides on Summers all year round and we see teens and single digits in the winter!

Currently TireRack's #1 based on their testing.

Take that with a grain of salt. Joe Schmo coming from a Kia with some crappy tires slaps these on an he'll think the tires were sent from the gods. Although I have heard they are pretty good.

Take that with a grain of salt. Joe Schmo coming from a Kia with some crappy tires slaps these on an he'll think the tires were sent from the gods. Although I have heard they are pretty good.

I'm talking about TireRack's actual testing. In the first test the GY came in second to the PZero Nero M+S. In the second test the GY was first. The second test factored in snow testing. The Pirellis dropped like a rock to fourth. I can wholehartedly agree with those results having owned both tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Eagle+F1+All+Season&tirePageLocQty=

I'm running Michelin PS2 max performance summers, before that Bridgestone RE050A's before that were Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, again max performance summers.

Never had a problem with weather - and I'm about 100 miles north in Athens... Go Dawgs... I like the Eagles, just because they handle the wet much better... otherwise, they're pretty similar.

I had the same question. Summers only in Tallahassee? I think I'll give it a shot shortly. Thanks!

BTW, Tire Rack is running a special on the Pole Positions. Buy 4 get a $100 American Express card.

I'm running Michelin PS2 max performance summers, before that Bridgestone RE050A's before that were Goodyear Eagle F1 GS-D3's, again max performance summers.

Never had a problem with weather - and I'm about 100 miles north in Athens... Go Dawgs... I like the Eagles, just because they handle the wet much better... otherwise, they're pretty similar.

You prefer the Eagles to the Michelins? Trying to figure out what I want to get since it seems like I'm leaning towards summers.

Go Gators. :cool:

Yeah, they're all pretty similar in the dry - I do like the firmer sidewalls of the michelins... but the Eagles are head and shoulders better in the wet... Although... the micelins are a lot quieter... I'd look at the new Eagle F1 asymmetrics, they sound nifty...and, as much of a tire snob as I am, check out the Sumitomo HTR ZIII.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/TireTestServlet?perfType=MP

Read through the 3 most recent reviews, lots of good info.

Go Dawgs, sic 'em! woof woof woof woof.

^^^what have you had before? Just wondering what you're comparing them too - the price makes them soooo tempting...

I had the crapstones so i guess anything is better lol...but i like to drive like a madman which explains my 19.5mpg but the tires keep holding on....

I don't really do any driving that would require performance tires, so when my crappy stock rubber started to bubble on the sidewall on two tires, and the other two blew out when I hit a pothole, I switched with what I thought would be inferior tires, since they were relatively cheap at around $100/tire. I got Fuzion tires, and much to my surprise, they perform much better, as far as I can tell. Not the caliber of rubber you guys in here are looking for, but they are a cheap replacement to the crappy RE92's, in my opinion.

Archived