LegacyGT.com

Problems with Belkin iPod lighter adapter

kristian

I have been using Jazzy's setup with the cheaper Belkin power adapter for a few weeks with great success, but I wanted a one cable solution (instead of using the 3.5mm headphone jack on the iPod AND plugging in the power cord). I ordered the more expensive Belkin adapter that uses the line out from the bottom of the iPod and then plugged the 3.5mm cable to Jazzy's board into the adapter.

http://www.circuitcity.com/IMAGE/product/detail/blk/EC.BLK.F8V7058APL.CN.JPG

Everything worked great in the garage, but once I got it out on the road the music would cut out every 5 seconds or so. However, if I plug in the 3.5mm back into the headphone jack on the iPod, everything worked fine again. I am running a GLI so there shouldn't be any ground loop problems.

After being on the road for 5 minutes or so without the 3.5mm hooked to the Belkin, I plugged it in again and everything worked fine for about 30 seconds and then it started cutting out again. My theory is that I am not getting enough power to charge the iPod and power the output amplification. I am trying to figure out if it is a problem with the Belkin adapter or if I'm not getting enough juice from the car. Unfortunately, I don't have another car stereo with a direct connection to test the adapter. Has anyone else had a problem like this with the Belkin? Any suggestions?

Update: I went out and played around with it a little at lunch today. I am not having any problems when the engine is not running with the radio on. The problem starts as soon after I start the engine. I am also not having cut out problems if plug headphones into the Belkin Adapter instead of using Jazzy's direct connection. Could this be caused by the ground loop isolator somehow since it only happens when the engine is on?

I know zip about these adapters, but if it was me, I'd say it's probably defective too & return it for a replacement.
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

I think I know what the problem is, the same thing happened to me at first. The belkin adaptor has a volume control on it, my guess is that you have the volume turned up all the way on the adaptor and for some reason when the car is running it will cut out. All you need to do is turn the volume down next to the 3.5mm in on the adaptor.

I think I know what the problem is, the same thing happened to me at first. The belkin adaptor has a volume control on it, my guess is that you have the volume turned up all the way on the adaptor and for some reason when the car is running it will cut out. All you need to do is turn the volume down next to the 3.5mm in on the adaptor.

If I turn the volume down almost all the way, the cut out stops. From there, the more I turn it up, the more frequently it cuts out. Unfortunately, at the volume I want to listen to, it cuts out a lot. I would say that point is roughly half way through the volume wheel's travel with an HU volume of 15. When I tried a low volume at the adapter and a high volume (20) on the HU, the sound quality isn't great. I will return it and hope that I got a defective one.

Thanks!

Update:

I got a replacement adapter from Amazon yesterday and am still having the same cut out problems. At first it was working great and I thought that the first adapter must have been the problem. However, after a couple of miles of driving the same cut out started happening. This morning, the cut out started happening as soon as I pulled out of the garage.

I am going to remove the GLI from the equation tonight and see if I still am having problems. Does anyone have any other ideas? I have searched around on several iPod and electronic review sites and haven't found anyone describing similar problems with that Belkin adapter so I am thinking that the problem has something to do with either my car or the GLI. If the problem might be with my electrical system, I don't want to hardwire in something like what Centerpunch suggested until I have the dealer look into things. How would I test the current coming to the lighter plug to see if that is the problem? I don't have a multimeter--does anyone (autozone) rent them?

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the connector on your iPod is beat up? Do you have any friends with another iPod to try a different one?
[CENTER][URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18504"]Subaru Plug & Play Aux-in Mod[/URL][/CENTER] [CENTER][URL="http://www.jazzyengineering.com"]www.jazzyengineering.com[/URL][/CENTER]

The only other thing I can think of is maybe the connector on your iPod is beat up? Do you have any friends with another iPod to try a different one?

I do and I'll try that. I doubt that is the problem though as my iPod is almost brand new. It seems to synch up with my comptuer fine through the same input.

I had an interesting issue with my IPOD not working with the line out through my Belkin adaptor. Head phone jack worked fine, but anything that used the connector on the bottom would not work. I was really close to returning it for a new one, when I decided to reset the settings on it. Guess what, it started working again... No clue, but rebooting it worked.. Go figure...

I took everything apart again and then put it all back together using a standard 3.5mm cable instead of the ground loop isolator. I am getting a little ground loop noise now but the adapter is no longer cutting out at any volume. I don't think the GLI is capable of dealing with an amplified signal and ground loop noise. The ground loop noise I'm experiencing is only noticable when the silent CD is playing so far, and seems to go away once the music is playing. If you are planning on using a Belkin Auto Kit, I would suggest NOT using a GLI.

Ever have one of those nights? I took everything apart, removed the GLI and put it back together with the 3.5mm I bought at Radio Shack that afternoon. I put the HU back in and found that I was only getting sound on the right side of the car. After taking it all apart again, I realized that the cable I bought had the word "mono" written on the package in a tiny font that I had missed--D'oh! Luckily, I had a cheap 3.5mm cable laying around that was long enough to get everything fixed...

Archived