LegacyGT.com

Defi DIN 3 Gauge Cluster

I have searched through the threads to no avail. Does anyone know if the Defi DIN 3 Gauge Cluster http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Defi_DIN_Gauge_Cluster-684-1.html would fit in the cubby hole? From my research a single din will fit wide with some minor adjustments correct? How about the depth? Anyone have any insight on how deep the cubby hole will fit? This unit looks to be about 4.5 inches deep.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

32348e86b883d78e.jpg.92251190ba500ee1a673d466f5ab6bb6.jpg

I have searched through the threads to no avail. Does anyone know if the Defi DIN 3 Gauge Cluster http://www.jscspeed.com/catalog/Defi_DIN_Gauge_Cluster-684-1.html would fit in the cubby hole? From my research a single din will fit wide with some minor adjustments correct? How about the depth? Anyone have any insight on how deep the cubby hole will fit? This unit looks to be about 4.5 inches deep.

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks guys!

At those prices, and given that it's all metric versus standard (or Imperial), I'd opt for the OEM STI gauge pack which provides everything you need for a very clean OEM install. Same DEFI gauges, same readings, same orientation, just a complete setup. P/N is H5010AG000 and is ~$700.00 for everything you need.

http://subaruonlineparts.com/subaru-legacy-performance-gauge-pack-p-1907.html

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Thanks guys for the good info. I have not come across the subaru H5010AG000 unit with boost, oil temp and oil pressure. I have only came across the unit with volts which doesnt seem to be as beneficial to know.The reason for the defi cluster was that it seemed to have the most useful gauges (debatable I know) to not blow up my engine (oil & water temp, oil pressure). If install is easier with the Subaru unit which makes sense, that one might be the winner.

Thanks again guys, been reading on this forum through my journey of my now stage 3 06 lgt. Always great information and knowledgeable Lgt owners.

Subaru unit is Defi Boost, Oil pressure and Oil temperature, and are critical measures on a turbo engine. It includes the Defi sandwich adapter where your senders for oil pressure and temp connect. Defi boost sender connects directly to your BPV hose and attaches to the strut tower. Everything else to mount it and wire it is included in the kit. Looks perfect once it's installed.

Perhaps now you can, but when I did this in 2007, I couldn't find anything that fit together well enough and gave me the look (and the exact functionality) I wanted. OEM fit and finish were really big on my list.

Not sure where you're at but be mindful these gauges don't auto correct for altitude last I checked. At 4500-7000 feet I'm at a loss for where I get gauges that read correctly. Almost bought the defi but I recall reading somewhere they didn't adjust for altitude. Best double check before you buy.

If I was to have three gauges they'd be:

1. Boost

2. EGT

3. Oil pressure

EGT is far more valuable a reference then oil temp.

You can build this yourself a lot cheaper, won't look exact same but you will be able to pick the gauges you want and do this for under 200. I will be purchasing gauges to this pretty soon it's my next project.

Please reference the three gauges you'd buy and link me to a kit I could buy for under $200. I am seriously interested :)

I am going with these gauges below and will be using a thin piece of wood to cut out gauge pod cluster. I will cover the wood with 3m carbon fiber film/sticker which I'm going to use film on radio harness n shifter plastic for uniform look.

http://bit.ly/18JoMXc

EGT gauge

http://bit.ly/1cZGHJU

Boost n oil pressure

http://bit.ly/1cZHOcr

3m Carbon film

The wood you can pick up from Home Depot or other shop for wood and cut it to size needed.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=607122

This is a forum I found on making 2 pod but I want to cut out cubby similar to sti one

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/01/13/py4eve9a.jpg

I hoping for similar to this when I'm done.

3 gauges under 200$ are gonna be prosport. i had prosport and they are junk imho. started clitching alot and got sick of them. they are in a box somewhere and arent even worth my time selling for cheap.

i went with the oem jdm defi pack and love them. worth every penny.

I have installed these units in friends cars and they haven't had any issues with them, I know it's all in the luck of the draw with them though.

What is the price of the jdm ones u went with? And did you go with 2 or 3?

Not sure where you're at but be mindful these gauges don't auto correct for altitude last I checked. At 4500-7000 feet I'm at a loss for where I get gauges that read correctly. Almost bought the defi but I recall reading somewhere they didn't adjust for altitude. Best double check before you buy.

If I was to have three gauges they'd be:

1. Boost

2. EGT

3. Oil pressure

EGT is far more valuable a reference then oil temp.

Frankly, I've used these gauges to > 8500 Ft with no discernible change in performance. IOW - pressures and temp accurately reflected so not sure that these "don't auto-correct for altitude" is an accurate description of this particular set of Defi gauges, senders and integration system.

And for a properly tuned, yet simple stage II setup, EGT would be number 5 after Boost, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and AFR. For stage III+ I'd definitely want all five gauges. Like everything else, YMMV.

I have installed these units in friends cars and they haven't had any issues with them, I know it's all in the luck of the draw with them though.

What is the price of the jdm ones u went with? And did you go with 2 or 3?

I went with the Jdm 3 gauge pack like posted above. I paid 525 shipped brad new from a website online that has a 20 percent off coupon last year.

If I may make an alternate solution, you could always buy an accessport V3 which will allow up to six gauges at one time, plus all of the other benefits of the AP. Assuming it gives you the gauges you want, it will be a bit cheaper and much easier install.

That said the SPT gauge pack does look beautiful.

I have been stalking the sti unit since I got my car. someday.

Best price I have found is at subaru parts warehouse. during their discount promotions, I have seen it under $600 with shipping ($525 with 20% discount +$70 shipping).

EGT & Boost are not useful gauges for DD or even track days. Use your tactrix/accessport logging to record them. If you are watching your gauges, you're not watching the road.

Rode in a car this weekend that had every one of those "nuisance" gauges. So much crap in the driver's vision, he couldn't even see the damn cones. Drove over an entire set watching the boost gauge.

6 gauges in order: speed, fuel, tach, oil pressure, water temp, oil temp. Everything else is useless.

If you want other stuff, mount it so it's not in your direct line of vision. If you fixate on any of them, you'll find yourself driving like a drunk. the information overload is too much, as you can't actively scan and comprehend all the information being presented. if you really "have" to have them, get white faces with black arms & letters, have lighting, an indicator led to show you've exceeded a settable limit and rotate the gauges so the arm is vertical in safe operating mode. The brain load to figure out what the gauges are telling you is the very least with that setup. Then train yourself to see those gauges as a set ( all lines verticals and no flashing lights = ignore). You'll get the most benefit out of that setup.

If you really want a show, mount a boost gauge in front of your passenger. the sound will be a better indicator of boost than watching a gauge. :-)

EGT & Boost are not useful gauges for DD or even track days. Use your tactrix/accessport logging to record them. If you are watching your gauges, you're not watching the road.

Rode in a car this weekend that had every one of those "nuisance" gauges. So much crap in the driver's vision, he couldn't even see the damn cones. Drove over an entire set watching the boost gauge.

6 gauges in order: speed, fuel, tach, oil pressure, water temp, oil temp. Everything else is useless.

If you want other stuff, mount it so it's not in your direct line of vision. If you fixate on any of them, you'll find yourself driving like a drunk. the information overload is too much, as you can't actively scan and comprehend all the information being presented. if you really "have" to have them, get white faces with black arms & letters, have lighting, an indicator led to show you've exceeded a settable limit and rotate the gauges so the arm is vertical in safe operating mode. The brain load to figure out what the gauges are telling you is the very least with that setup. Then train yourself to see those gauges as a set ( all lines verticals and no flashing lights = ignore). You'll get the most benefit out of that setup.

If you really want a show, mount a boost gauge in front of your passenger. the sound will be a better indicator of boost than watching a gauge. :-)

Placement might be key here as would configuration.

Data logging shows after affects. If you wanted real time reporting setting a gauge to report an overage via beep and light might be very helpful.

For example on low boost hill climbs I notice my EGT started to rise to dangerous zones. Down shifting helped lower the temps until I could get that tuned out. Similarly knowing oil pressure has saved a few friends of mine from blowing motors at the track.

Was I fixating on the gauge? No. It beeped at me. I looked at it and corrected. That's probably the most useful feature of any gauge. Over boosting is similarly dangerous DD or track.

It's pretty silly to suggest these are a waste. Big gauges all over pillars might be overkill. 2-4 properly placed with warnings setup. Low cost insurance to a modified car.

Placement might be key here as would configuration.

Data logging shows after affects. If you wanted real time reporting setting a gauge to report an overage via beep and light might be very helpful.

For example on low boost hill climbs I notice my EGT started to rise to dangerous zones. Down shifting helped lower the temps until I could get that tuned out. Similarly knowing oil pressure has saved a few friends of mine from blowing motors at the track.

Was I fixating on the gauge? No. It beeped at me. I looked at it and corrected. That's probably the most useful feature of any gauge. Over boosting is similarly dangerous DD or track.

It's pretty silly to suggest these are a waste. Big gauges all over pillars might be overkill. 2-4 properly placed with warnings setup. Low cost insurance to a modified car.

Are you feeling ok? I believe this is the first post you have ever made not only agreeing with me, but even providing examples to prove my points. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I have the STI gauge pack in my '05 LGT wagon. Boost is working but don't have the senders for temp and pressure. I would really love to get them going. All three power up so should be working.

Can anyone direct me to where I can get the senders and oil filter sandwich? PLEASE!!

Defi makes the gauge pod for Subaru, so as long as the mounting points are the same it will fit just fine.

Subaru STI gauge pack for reference...

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t36/danteomni/Car%20Pics/OBK/IMAG0230.jpg

Archived