LegacyGT.com

Am I off my rocker?

I'll try to keep this as short and sweet as possible.. Am I totally out of my mind for considering parting out my LGT (Kinugawa TD06SL2-18g, supporting fuel mods even though they'd stay, AVO TMIC, m sprank Stromung CBE, CNT catted DP, etc etc.) back to "stage 1" and buying a Miata to go fast in? My buddy just got one, and although it's stock, you can just taste the potential of it with a little Garret GT25 of sorts... Opinions?

My buddy just bought a turbo miata from California. 6 grand all in to ship it to Seattle. Was some guys old track toy and holy S does it move. Such a little sleeper. Interior is kinda tight though, I'm 6'1 180lbs and I felt very cramped.

S2000's also cost twice what a nicely built turbo Miata. They are heavier and not nearly as fast stock (I have driven both a series 1 and 2 S2000 and the Turbo Miata). Parts costs are higher and if I recall correctly a lot of people with S2000's were having difficulty tracking them without decent aerodynamic mods.

From another site

1. early AP1 has bump steer issue, and not so reliable engine (pre 01) for track 2. AP1 has snap oversteer, AP2 stillhasit, but not bad atall. this is a real issue. so AP2 is definitelymore desirable because of better engine (later AP1 engine is good) and fixed bump steer issue. 3. late AP1 engine is reliable and has 9,000rpm redlne, which is great for track work. AP2 is at 8k rpm. 4. brake - stock is fine as long as you use race pads. problem is cracked rotors. always carry a spare rotor, always change rotor when you swap out pads. rotors are cheap, about $35 each. 5. rear wing helps greatly. most track s2000 runs with a wing. there is a good reason for that.

for w2w. there isnt a lot of support for S2000, you would be better off racing a MC.

There are only about 2 billion go fast parts available for any year Miata and for the most part they are fairly inexpensive, not to mention extremely easy to work on, and the cars work absolutely great on the race track, so I would definitely go with a much higher priced, much more expensive to mod, slower when modded compared money wise to the Miata, Honda S2000. :rolleyes:

S2000's also cost twice what a nicely built turbo Miata. They are heavier and not nearly as fast stock (I have driven both a series 1 and 2 S2000 and the Turbo Miata). Parts costs are higher and if I recall correctly a lot of people with S2000's were having difficulty tracking them without decent aerodynamic mods.

From another site

1. early AP1 has bump steer issue, and not so reliable engine (pre 01) for track 2. AP1 has snap oversteer, AP2 stillhasit, but not bad atall. this is a real issue. so AP2 is definitelymore desirable because of better engine (later AP1 engine is good) and fixed bump steer issue. 3. late AP1 engine is reliable and has 9,000rpm redlne, which is great for track work. AP2 is at 8k rpm. 4. brake - stock is fine as long as you use race pads. problem is cracked rotors. always carry a spare rotor, always change rotor when you swap out pads. rotors are cheap, about $35 each. 5. rear wing helps greatly. most track s2000 runs with a wing. there is a good reason for that.

for w2w. there isnt a lot of support for S2000, you would be better off racing a MC.

Twice a moded? Where do you get this info?

You can buy an ap1 for track use, 9-11k. 240 HP. You can spend another $4k and produce a reliable 300hp.

The Honda S2000 is the closest thing you'll get to an F1 car under 30k.

Motor problems well overplayed online. Rotors aren't cracking unless you fail to cool down - any rotor suffers this unless you have floating rotors and fixed calipers.

The Miata is cheap and fun. It's neither fast nor as nicely built. But let him go research this. I actually own the car, not just ridden along. 111k later not one issue on or off the track.

FYI the weight difference is 300lbs real world. Small price for better suspension design, brakes, gear box, motor, frame stiffness - which is of the stiffnest available.

Half the time guys I think you don't live in the real world.

Bottom line OP skip to the Honda and buy a track ready sports car. Not one that needs upgrades to get fast

• I Donated

You're not crazy. I've more than occasionally considered trading the LGT in for a miata. Probably the only thing stopping me is the fact that my girlfriend DDs a miata and I get to drive it all the time. They are amazing cars, tons of fun stock. If you don't autocross yet, do it. Do it once in the legacy and then get one in a miata, you'll want to trade in the LGT.

You would want a turbo since you're used to the straight line speed of the LGT but I don't think it needs it. There's something very satisfying about being able to string out a car like the miata on public roads and be completely within the law. Feels like you're going 50 when you're going 35, and convertibles are so much fun.

TLDR - go drive a miata, then report back on how much fun they are.

• Moderators

What? :lol:

If we're making the jump from miata to S2000, then fuggit, just get a lotus elise and call it a day.

There, we just took your $5k track toy and turned it into a $35k lotus. Your welcome!

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

What? :lol:

If we're making the jump from miata to S2000, then fuggit, just get a lotus elise and call it a day.

There, we just took your $5k track toy and turned it into a $35k lotus. Your welcome!

The Lotus isn't reliable. Of the three cars.

1. S2000

2. Miati

3. Elise

The service is going to kill him if he goes Lotus.

Motor problems well overplayed online. Rotors aren't cracking unless you fail to cool down - any rotor suffers this unless you have floating rotors and fixed calipers.

Wow dude... So for double the cost of a Miata he can get an s2000 whose motor issues are overplayed on the internet.

Are you not the same person who pointed to all the online posts about failed Subaru motors? Talk about your double standard.

Yes S2k's are nice torqueless cars. They are not even close in quickness to a well built turbo Miata. I have experience in both, I have driven both for more then a five minute spin.

OP asked about Miatas. Quit spouting your useless ramblings about how Honda is the end all be all of car makes.

Should I just step up to a GTR or something? LOL..

I can't afford an S2K, that's for sure. Trying to stay below 4k on a Miata. Found a couple, one being at $1900 for a 1.8L with 110k on the clock and one for $2500 with a 1.6 and a spare fresh block included, just unknown miles on the odo (was planning on contacting the owner soon).

Those are a lot of fun! How's the motor?

Motor and trans are good. Idles good. It just has a horrendous paint job one of the previous owners painted it bass boat blue and painted all the accents white. He also stripped the interior. So far I am in the process painting everything black putting the interior back in and changing the fuel pump. It's a dream to work on.

Waiting for a new shifter,shifter cover, shifter boot and sway bar stabilizer brackets to come in.

Wow dude... So for double the cost of a Miata he can get an s2000 whose motor issues are overplayed on the internet.

Are you not the same person who pointed to all the online posts about failed Subaru motors? Talk about your double standard.

Yes S2k's are nice torqueless cars. They are not even close in quickness to a well built turbo Miata. I have experience in both, I have driven both for more then a five minute spin.

OP asked about Miatas. Quit spouting your useless ramblings about how Honda is the end all be all of car makes.

I have first hand knowledge of behind the dealerships "We rarely see that issue" on the motors.

Well you guys are talking about him sinking money into a Miata to upgrade it. The S2000 is already upgraded :) If he has $4k plus is dropping another $4k into track prep that's an S2k. And people are going on about how Miata's are faster. They aren't stock for stock, and they aren't even faster boost to stock S2k.

Should I just step up to a GTR or something? LOL..

I can't afford an S2K, that's for sure. Trying to stay below 4k on a Miata. Found a couple, one being at $1900 for a 1.8L with 110k on the clock and one for $2500 with a 1.6 and a spare fresh block included, just unknown miles on the odo (was planning on contacting the owner soon).

The miles probably matter less then the condition of the car. I'd be getting somethings checked out.

Will you be upgrading the car?

For a track car only I'd consider a salvaged titled that's been properly rebuilt too.

Motor and trans are good. Idles good. It just has a horrendous paint job one of the previous owners painted it bass boat blue and painted all the accents white. He also stripped the interior. So far I am in the process painting everything black putting the interior back in and changing the fuel pump. It's a dream to work on.

Waiting for a new shifter,shifter cover, shifter boot and sway bar stabilizer brackets to come in.

The 944 is a really nice machine for it's vintage. Makes for good track fun.

Archived