LegacyGT.com

Emergency Tow Strap

Going to the beach for two weeks on Hatteras Island. Lots o beach driving on Hatteras and Ocracoke to get to good fishing / beaching spots......Looking at lightweight emergency tow straps...ie 20ft with loop ends and various break strengths...So what will work 6000 pounds...7000 lbs ???any rule of thumb by vehicle weight?

Not expecting to use it, BUT, with a few hot dry days the sand gets treacherous outside the 'tracks'...

Cheers, Rick

I'll use the hitch in the back the front is s ?? right now...Still liooking for the right capacity in Lbs strength? any one venture a guess. Will likely go with 11,000... That should be enough????

Thanks, Rick

Will take photos...

• 1 month later...
I'll use the hitch in the back the front is s ?? right now...Still liooking for the right capacity in Lbs strength? any one venture a guess. Will likely go with 11,000... That should be enough????

Thanks, Rick

Will take photos...

Are there any good photos to share? :icon_conf

+1

I'm interested in seeing pics as well.

I've got an LGT, but we take the wife's Pathfinder on the sand. I'd love to dump the Pathfinder and get her an XT, but one of the beaches we hit on Martha's Vineyard has very deep sand, and wonder how well the Outback would do (no low range, etc..) The ground clearance seems more than adequate - I'm more concerned with having enough low end power. Also, they make everyone deflate their tires to 15psi, and wonder how that might impact the Subie's ability in the deep sand...

I have a few static pics I cant seem to post them, but I will send them to someones Email addy to post.

I experimented with pressures starting at 20 and finally settled at 22 lbs. They seemed to work fine, even in the softest stuff.

There is much less sidewall with a 55 aspect tire, so even 22 was not great on the pavement....

I was very conservative with where I went on the beach, but really had no troubles, I could feel the plastic undertray hitting once in a while..

Cheers, Rick

Thanks, Rick

Will take photos...

In the Army our rule of thumb was 2X vehicle weight for towing, 3x vehicle weight for lifting. So 6,000-6,600 should be adequate.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

+1

I'm interested in seeing pics as well.

I've got an LGT, but we take the wife's Pathfinder on the sand. I'd love to dump the Pathfinder and get her an XT, but one of the beaches we hit on Martha's Vineyard has very deep sand, and wonder how well the Outback would do (no low range, etc..) The ground clearance seems more than adequate - I'm more concerned with having enough low end power. Also, they make everyone deflate their tires to 15psi, and wonder how that might impact the Subie's ability in the deep sand...

My gf has taken her uncle's '98 or so Forester onto the soft sand at Pismo, CA and it did well with about 10psi in the tires. I'd imagine the XT would be fine in the sand.

Snatching/towing minimum 2x towed vehicle weight. Make it long enough so you can double it for the front end (left and right side attachment) or, singled-up, the snatch vehicle can be far enough away not to kill your car with spun debris. I would think that TP @ 18-23 psi would be optimal.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 2 weeks later...
I keep a nylon tow strap in my Outback as part of my "emergency" kit. It's rated at 17,000 lbs and wasn't much more expensive than the lesser ones. I'm pretty sure I got it at either Home Depot or Lowes.

Archived