LegacyGT.com

LGT Steering Rack in Spec B?

Has anyone tried to use a 5 speed legacy gt steering rack in the Spec B?

Why you ask?

Turning radius, one of the top things I love about this car is the 35 foot turning radius.

I would use it with 17" rims, I believe they usually make a longer turning radius because 18" rims/tires would hit the body as your turning.

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Somebody has to much time on their hands...

So your telling me my wagon has a different rack and ratio then my Spec, I never noticed a difference. Even when I put the Spec's wheels on the wagon I didn't notice any change.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's not a different ratio from what I can tell - it seems like the Spec.B rack has internal stops that limit the travel slightly. Best guess was that this was to prevent rubbing with the taller Spec.B wheel/tire combo, but that is only speculation. They are unique part numbers and have different turning radii listed in the service manual.

I'll be putting the Spec B's winter tires on my wagon soon. If I remember I'll try lock to lock and see if they rub. I don't remember it being a issue back in early 2013 when I had them on.

I'm guessing the stops are a engineering saftey thing. just in case...

I wonder if they thought people may put 19's on a Spec B...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's not a different ratio from what I can tell - it seems like the Spec.B rack has internal stops that limit the travel slightly. Best guess was that this was to prevent rubbing with the taller Spec.B wheel/tire combo, but that is only speculation. They are unique part numbers and have different turning radii listed in the service manual.

spec.B: 38' turning circle, 2.6 turns lock to lock

4th gen GT: 35.4' turning circle, 2.8 turns lock to lock

these are the numbers that I have seen. the larger circle with less turns lock to lock further backs up your theory that the ratio is the same. and I agree, the difference in p/no is likely due to internal stops at 0.1 turns less from full travel in each direction to prevent the 18"s from rubbing.

Underdog, it does seem like the spec B has internal stops, it's limited to 2.6 turns vs 2.8.

As per Cars101, and numerous other sites:

GT: Turning Circle: 35.4 ft (center of tires)

GT: Steering wheel lock-to-lock 2.8 turns

spec.B turning circle 38ft

spec.B Steering wheel Lock-to-lock 2.6 turns

3 Feet might not seem a lot but it makes a huge difference. My Infiniti has a 37 foot turning radius and it has a harder time turning around in my drive way, single shot getting into parking spots etc. Heck I even once couldn't make a sharp turn on the road and had to back up a bit (on a real road). 35 foot turning radius of the Legacy is God sent, it's the only mid-full sized sedan that offers that tight of a turning radius, even with 17" tires.

It also makes a nice difference autocrossing. I plan on mocking with the Infiniti's steering rack to reduce the turning radius.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/sil8ty/IMG_4367.jpg

White tape is the angle without adapter, blue is angle with adapter.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v229/sil8ty/IMG_5122copy.jpg

No need for adapters or anything on the Spec B, just the steering rack from LGT (if it fits).

05 LGT 16G 14psi 290whp/30mpg (SOLD)

12 OBP Stock 130whp/27mpg@87 Oct

00 G20t GT28r 10psi 250whp/36mpg

22 Ascent STOCK

Archived