LegacyGT.com

Spark Plug Change Idle Off

Hey guys,

Changed the plugs on the car with NKG's from amazon link here - [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000A8JLIY]Amazon.com: NGK (5464) BKR5EIX-11 Iridium IX Spark Plug, Pack of 1: Automotive[/ame]

After change I noticed the idle was a little off. It's low and this leads to feeling many of the piston fires. When I say low it's looking like 500rpms when warm. Of course you don't feel it on start up when the car is running richer and higher RPMs.

No check engine light, or power loss. Still the same MPG. 23-25mpg freeway @ 80mph.

What do you think is going on?

Is there a process to re-learn the ECU on new plugs?

Thanks,

Rob

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
did you reset the ecu? if you did, the relearn idle may be weird for a few run cycles

I relearned idle with no accessories and we've drive about 600 miles since the plug change.

RPMS dip at a stall to the stall level and sit there. See picture taken at lunch.

photo.thumb.JPG.b600759ded4fe486b86aa3062174c344.JPG

did you perhaps disconnect a vaccum hose in the process of changing the plugs out, I'd check over every hose and make sure they are plugged into something. a vac leak can cause this anomaly too.

I thought so but everything appears to be connected properly.

I am wondering if maybe we have a bad coil pack?

There's many a threads about the proper part #'s. I figured you already knew that, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I figured since the database said it works we should be good to go.

However, if the plugs are off we should see a cell right?

What did you gap the plugs to? If you have driven 600 miles since the change your car would have smoothed out a long time ago. When did it start with the bad idle? Right after the change or recently.

I didn't re-gap the plugs. I should note the car was at the dealers and they gave it the A-OK. I got the plugs changed but was so pissed with how subis are built I had them do the rest of the 60K and check my plug work.

I'm honestly not sure about that point. I changed the plugs, re-learned ECU and then drove the car the following day 200 ish miles. Drove around a few towns and that's when I noticed the low idle.

At first it was just a little rough and now it's low and a little rough. The low is what's really getting me.

Found your problem utilizing the search feature.

BKR IRIDIUM IX - NO NO NO the BKR series are the spark plugs for the SHORT Impreza 2.0 engine block . Do not use them, they will spark inside their pit, not in your cylinder. Down on power, grit and grime etc. Wrong part number because that is what Murrays / O'Reillyes and Pep Boys had.

Stop driving on those plugs and goet the correct ones.

Read this

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/spark-plug-ngk-p-ni-multiple-listed-150914.html?highlight=BKR5EIX-11

This will help......

STANDARD HEAT RANGE (UP TO ~350WHP) GAP

NGK V-Power Copper LFR6A 0.035"

NGK OE Laser Iridium SILFR6A 0.031" (Subaru-specific 5 ohm)

NGK OE Laser Iridium ILFR6A or ILFR6B 0.031"

ONE STEP COLDER (MORE THAN ~350WHP) GAP

NGK Iridium IX LFR7AIX 0.031"

Denso Iridium Power IKH22 0.032"

WRONG GAP:

Denso Platinum TT PKH20TT 0.040"

Denso Iridum Power IKH20 0.043"

Denso OE Iridium SK20HR11 0.043"

Denso OE Copper K20HR-U11 0.043"

NGK Iridium IX LFR6AIX-11 0.044"

A few more things, always gap your plugs or at least check them.......also never trust the dealer.....first and last wrong decision before boom.

[

LOL probably not. Where are you located? It is easy if you have a good set of tools.....hell I would buy 300 in tools before I bring it back to them. It just takes patience. Let me know if you need some pointers.
[

It's at the dealers, $285 to get the plugs done.

Spoke to Amazon who will refund the plugs and will cover any damages. I am going to claim having the dealer do the work as a damage and hopefully get them to pay the service I already did myself.

:eek: ! Wow

Sent from tapatalk, yo

Yeah I'm not pleased at all by the outcome but this has become the car I wish we had not bought. Get it up and running so the wife can just drive it and stop dicking around trying to do the servicing myself. We'll never by another subi again since it's clear their not built well. Stick to honda, who has better engineering behind their cars and are less wasteful designs.

Archived