LegacyGT.com

Question about downpipes

I am looking to go to "Stage 2" on my car. I already have the catless uppipe purchased from a member on these boards and I have been looking at a downpipe.

My question is: Will there be a smell if I go with a catless downpipe into stock mufflers? If so, how strong/noticeable will it be?

I don't understand what your asking about a smell. I have been catless for 2 years and don't notice any smell other then normal exhaust.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I don't understand what your asking about a smell. I have been catless for 2 years and don't notice any smell other then normal exhaust.

Just some of the information that I have been reading says that sometimes you will get a smell in the cabin that is a lot more noticeable when you have a catless vs catted.

If you smell exhaust in the cabin, you have a leak, it's nothing to do with the catless.

FWIW I used the old exhaust gaskets when I did my engine R&R.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

• Mega Users
I am looking to go to "Stage 2" on my car. I already have the catless uppipe purchased from a member on these boards and I have been looking at a downpipe.

My question is: Will there be a smell if I go with a catless downpipe into stock mufflers? If so, how strong/noticeable will it be?

Mufflers reduce sound, not smell.

Just some of the information that I have been reading says that sometimes you will get a smell in the cabin that is a lot more noticeable when you have a catless vs catted.

i am completely catless and i hardly ever smell anything, every once in a while ill get a sniff. however the people behind me get a good breath of fresh air ;)

Oh, you smell alright. I have a friend who has a catless LGT. When I'm in a car behind him, and he gooses it, it smells, quite strong actually. It is very difficult to notice any smell inside the car.

"Remember Danny - Two wrongs don't make a right but three rights make a left."

Oh well, only slow cars are in the, behind...

LOL

What was the line for the first Gumball Rally movie, "What's behind me, is not important".

I always thought exhaust fumes could come back in from the rear of a car when stopped. I've heard many stories like that from friends which is why I went catted.

Oh dear, I wonder what we all did back before cars had cat's... I don't believe my 1961 Chevy had a cat, nor my 1970 GTO or my 1970 Duster 340.

Go catless your turbo will be happy.

Keeping stock cat-back?

Should go get aftermarket or custom cbe. It'll sound like a subaru at least but that's IMO.

No cats here and nothing I can smell unless I run the car in the garage without opening the door then Yeah I can smell something:lol:

My cat caught a bolt I dropped into the exhaust last week so its serving a purpose! :lol:

I'm glad that worked out for you ;)

I wasn't so lucky when I dropped a bolt down the up pipe while the engine was on the engine stand. I had to take the up pipe back off to get the stupid thing out. Even spinning it on the stand wouldn't get it to fall out.

Keeping stock cat-back?

Should go get aftermarket or custom cbe. It'll sound like a subaru at least but that's IMO.

No cats here and nothing I can smell unless I run the car in the garage without opening the door then Yeah I can smell something:lol:

As for right now I am keeping the stock cat-back. Maybe down the road I will swap it out but right now I just wanted to get the up and down pipe replaced.

Thanks everyone for the answers. I was just worried that I would get the exhaust smell in the cabin but it sounds like it really wont be an issue. Less restriction and lower price... sounds like catless it is.

One more quick question while I have your attention: On a scale from 1 - 5 what are my chances of getting a CEL after the installation of the downpipe? I will be using the Cobb AP stage 2 map initially and from what I read, this disables the rear sensor?

install an up pipe while you have the downpipe off

I think I figured out the answer, I'm betting the smell will pretty bad until you take a shower and wash before you get in the car.

Oh yea, make sure you use anti-seize compound on all the nuts and bolts. If I hadn't said that already.

Archived