LegacyGT.com

Exhausts! (boxer rumble) *HELP*

H O O N

Hey there guys!

I've recently bought a 2006 Subaru Liberty, totally stock, i put a 4' cannon with the 'drifter' type of look to it (went from twin exhaust, to single exhaust) because the car i had before was a lancer, with a cannon and i was very happy with the sound, At the time i didn't think much of it, i just thought the guy that had it before me just put a cannon onto it and made it that loud, Since then I've just loved exhaust sounds, its not about 'turning' heads its just about a bloody decent sound, especially with a 2.5L boxer engine. The cannon has made it considerably louder, but not DEEP... when i get 2-3 RPM and 5-6 RMP it... sounds very light? (not quite sure how to put it) I've seen the STI's go around town with the boxer rumble and the typical Subaru sound, i want that but its a NON TURBO'D car, I'm on my Red P's and got a tight budget but i will not do anything dodgy... so... my questions are:

- Can i remove the Resonator without ruining the STARTER MOTOR or BACK PRESSURE?...

- Should i keep my Resonator and remove my catalytic converters with... a decat? that would make my car smell like fumes?...

- Changing the headers to something after market? (not exactly sure what, any suggestions would be much appreciated)?

It is non turbo, my mechanic says take the 'feker' out (meaning the resonator) but my good friend has a Falcon, he took his resonator out and muffler and his started motor failed miserably, he replaced it and is still says it's having problems starting up sometime. SO...

- Can i get a BETTER Starter motor to compromise for the loss of back pressure since its NON TURBO?...

SORRY FOR THE LONGGG CONFUSING PARAGRAPHS!!! ^^^

Any help, suggestions, links, information of any sort would be so very appreciated! try ignore anything that makes no sense, sorry.

Thank-you!

OP put it back stock, just leave the mufflers off and start the car.

Here's my 09 with stock exhaust less mufflers.

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/th_VID00001.mp4

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x40/92Si/DSCN5305_zps91aba85d.jpg

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Im australian... not a "silly southern hemisphere person" @Gex. real helpful wankers. simple question, didn't need the stupid comments.

Y'sure? Its like Alanis Morrisette and O'Henry had a baby and named it this exact scenario. Boy, you're learning it the hard way!

Pardon my 'murican friends.. they don't know how to talk Australians.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHQRZXM-4xI]How to Talk Australians - Episode 1: ‘G’DAY KNACKERS’ - YouTube[/ame]

From what I gather, he wants the boxer rumble. There was threads for this when I joined years ago to do this. They took turbo headers and up pipe, made some kind of custom "turbo delete" pipe to bridge the turbo up and turbo down together and then from there they had Boxer rumble.

No?? Are you implying that this really isn't some naif from down under? That he didn't just accidentally hit on so many ignorant and borderline stupid questions in one post?

What is this global community coming to....<shakes head and turns away>

Welcome to the site. Glad you could join us.

Your 2.5i Liberty has equal-length headers (ELH), so you're not going to get a boxer rumble...that only comes from unequal-length headers (UELH) that are found on the WRX/STI/Forester/LGT/BAJA turbo motors. It's the unequal exhaust pulses shuffling together that cause the rumble - and made even more "pronounced" by the typically improved flow from a 3" exhaust and mufflers tuned to those pulses. Turbo engines love to breathe deep and flow freely, while normally-aspirated engines do better with more restrictive exhausts to keep the valve-train happy.

That said, and FWIW, ELH are relatively more efficient than UELH because the pulse flows don't run into each other.

There are UELH available for the 2.5i, some are decent, some are pretty dodgy. Then it becomes a matter of connecting those headers to the stock mid-pipe assembly that you have.

While I'm not a fan of the dual-to-single conversion, with a single exhaust cannon, I understand why some do it. Good luck with yours. Just don't change too much about your exhaust piping, including your resonator as each of those elements have been engineered to optimize your engine power delivery. Too much change and you disturb that greatly.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I wouldn't expect that taking out the resonator, especially since it's welded into the pipe to do very much. You should get more volume, and likely some raspiness, but I wouldn't expect it to deepen the sound very much if at all.

Good luck with it all and post-up your results. A before and after sound clip would be helpful.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

W/o getting the unequal length headers as I and SBT described, removing the resonator will not give you boxer rumble. Removing the mid resonator and leaving the rear cans is the biggest mistake you could ever do. Luckily I have already done this and can say cabin drone and raspyness to the point the stock cans can't help you. I'll try and find my videos of it. Current computer is blocking youtube, nasioc and a few other sites :(

Archived