LegacyGT.com

CEL on and CRUISE and [S] Flashing... Codes

Need some help... went to start the car after work today (normal 45 - 50 degree day in Colorado) and everything was flashing... CEL, ABS, CRUISE, , TRANS TEMP. Shut it off, restarted, and the CEL was steady illuminated; , and CRUISE were flashing. Car ran normal, shifted normal. Got home, read codes:

P0600 "Serial Communication Link Malfunction"

P0700 "Transmission Control System Malfunction"

P1718 - ? cant find this one, its Subaru Specific. Can anyone point me to a website or link for Subaru specific CEL codes?

Thanks in advance.

All three of those codes are telling you that there is a communication error between control modules. The P1718 is a CAN communication circuit error indicating that communications have been interrupted/are being interrupted.

You can check for damaged wiring, make sure all connectors are securely attached, and if you can establish that all the wiring is good, you may be looking for a new control module.

Disconnecting the battery isn't going to do anything except erase your adaptive learning and radio presets...

If you buy a VagCom cheapo cable off ebay and Download FreeSSM (for free) then you can reset the TCU codes. Or the dealer can do it for you. It could have been a fluke.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Thanks for the feed back!

Here's the update... BTW - car ran and shifted fine with and now without codes, ran completely normal...

I have an Innovative Motorsports OT-2 code reader/data logger (works with the iPhone). I was able to reset the two generic codes (as would any OBDII scanner/reader). The Factory Specific P1718 code reset itself the next day, I'm guessing it saw enough key cycles (on/off) without error and was gone the next day. A week later, no codes, no problems. I did not remove the negative battery cable.

All is apparently well. I did; however, read a post indicating there is a connector under the driver seat that has some transmission communication circuits. The post indicated that the connector may corrode somewhat and may need to be checked. If the codes re-appear I will check this out....

Thanks for the advice.

• 10 months later...

Thread revival :)

Got this today for the first time ever, the two codes were P0600 and P0700. At first along with the blinking cruise and CEL I also had blinking SPORT light and ABS. Turned the car off, restarted, all went away except the flashing cruise and CEL.

I'm not going to reset the ECU, I will keep driving and hope it will go away, although if I read correctly the repair manual says there are 40 normal drive cycles necessary for the code to go away.

Most any auto parts store can read and clear the codes.

If your not going to fix them, I'd pull the battery cable and clear them. If it comes back look into getting it fixed before something happens and your in the middle of nowhere.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I'm Stage 2 with an AP which I always carry in the car. The reason I don't want to reset the codes is because I want to see if it goes away by itself but I suppose I could also just reset it and see if it comes back. The car has been mechanically untouched for at least 2 years. I'm guessing it was either a fluke or hopefully an easy fix.

• 2 years later...

realized these post were here since 2011, anyway.. My Subaru Legacy BL5 year 2006 died on me suddenly.

After checking, I am getting this Error Code P0600 Subaru - Serial Communication Link.

I cannot start the car after that.

anyone face the same problem? can advice??

Archived