LegacyGT.com

BBS RK Owners - Any problems w/ Center Caps?

hal9e3

Took my car in for a tire install/alignment a few days ago and just discovered that one of my center caps is missing. They're acting like they want to blame the center cap due to weakness/whatever. I've had these for 3 1/2 years w/ a couple of previous tire replacements and numerous wheel on/off cycles so I'm doubtful that's it. Anyone else have any experiences w/ this?

No problems with mine.

Always check your car when getting it back from service (easier said than done, I know). One tire place "lost" center cap on my VW but I noticed that it was missing before I even paid for service (I had to go back because one tire was leaking air, well I have never been back to this place).

Try to contact BBS directly or any BBS dealer and check how much they cost. When I was buying my RKs from Saab dealer they had 2 sets of center caps. Generic BBS and Saab. I chose generic but they must have spare BBS, I think that some Saabaru owner bought at least one set.

Krzys

I try to but you don't always see what you're not looking for. I checked the asymmetrical tires to make sure they were put on right side out and checked the rims for damage but it just didn't occur to me to look at the center caps. Besides, they're claiming the caps were on when I left so maybe there was nothing to see. If it did come off after I left it's highly unlikely that it just 'decided' after all this time to escape. In fact, I was trying to look at one this evening and it sorta looks like they press in from the inside. Can you confirm or refute this?

I found it the easiest to remove the wheel and push the center cap out, if this is what you ask for. They had to remove center cap for balancing (at least this what I noticed in the workshop when I was paying as close attention as possible to what was happening).

Krzys

• 1 month later...

http://www.purems.com/images/fullsize/0924281cfs.jpg

replacements for your missing caps...

the plastic tabs on the back can become stressed, brittle and eventually break off... it's normal wear... I've had my BBS RKs on and off of my wrx and now my legacy 100's (OK, a little bit less... but you know what I mean) of times over the last four plus years. Just this last fall I lost a cap... I was a little pissed, but whatever I figured I had all winter to find a replacement... DON'T TRY calling or emailing BBS... they are no help... use this link:

http://www.purems.com/products/product.php/II=77

I haven't ordered mine yet, but I will soon! The BBS RKs (17x7) I bought off of tirerack will require the first one listed on that webpage (56mm/53mm/style A) and I'll probably get a set of four (~$75)

If you have all four of yours now, but the plastic tabs are broken/braking try this:

1) take off all four tires/rims

2) GENTLY pop out the center caps from the inside of the rim (try not to break anymore of the tabs)

3) apply a small bead of clear silicone sealant to the outer edge of the center cap's tabs and carefully pop them back into the rims. Don't worry if you get a little on the rims when doing so, it will wipe off easily and will stretch/peel off lke a gum after it cures.

4) for added security apply excess sealant to the center caps while mounted to the rims from the back/inside. This will be especially helpful if you have missing tabs. Don't worry about making a mess the gel cures clear and it's on the inside of the rim... you'll never see it! Oh, and it won't affect your balance! ;)

5) removal of the sealed center caps... If you need to remove them they will pop right out with gentle and constant force, and the dried silicone sealant will continue to help retain the center caps when reinstalling them back in (really, it will)...

cheers!

I'll bet you any money that they lost it when they were balancing the new tires on your rims. They have to remove the center cap to place the wheel on a big threaded shaft, tighten it down, and then do the balancing. The tech probably forgot to put your center cap back on and then the next person who used the machine probably just pocketed the cap.

My wheels didn't come with caps but I bought a set of 4 on ebay for $18 each.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Bringing this one back from the dead like a zombie...

I'm looking at buying a set of RKs locally. With the thin spokes, have any RK owners experienced cracking in their wheels? If so, where should I look for stress cracking? (I'm thinking right where the spokes meet up with the outer rim)

Well that's good news. The guy who painted them did it himself. I'm assuming powdercoating which may relieve any heat treating done by BBS. The only other thing I'm concerned about (and this is purely a cosmetic concern) is that I'm not sure I'll like the extra attention draw that my car will receive with gold rims

Here is the link

I bought the rims new for under $500 when Saab dealers were selling them.

I think that asking price of $1000 is steep and I would expect to see the price reduced due to painting them - not increased.

Just an opinion.

Krzys

Archived