LegacyGT.com

CD player turns on by itself

shwaldo

I've had my 2005 Legacy Sedan for about 4 months. I bought it used, 42K miles. This weird thing keeps hapening with the stereo. I've got a stock single CD player. If I'm listening to the radio, but there's a CD in the player, sometimes it will start playing the CD on its' own. This usually happens when I make a sharp turn. I then have to push the "FM" button to get back to radio.

Could there just be something wrong with the button itself, like over-use, or could this be a wiring issue? I'm not sure how to handle. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Does your car have the audio buttons on the steering wheel? Could be the button there, or the "clockspring" wiring in the steering wheel.

You could unplug that 8-pin connector from the rear of the radio and see if the problem goes away.

Does your car have the audio buttons on the steering wheel? Could be the button there, or the "clockspring" wiring in the steering wheel.

You could unplug that 8-pin connector from the rear of the radio and see if the problem goes away.

No buttons on the wheel. Thanks though.

Both of you guys' symptoms sound like problems inside the radios.

There's a small chance that there's something like a loose piece of solder bouncing around on the display board (the PC board that has the buttons and displays), or a dirty connection between that board and the main logic board.

If it were happening to me, I'd open up my radio and clean off the contacts on the interconnects and buttons. There are several threads here where people separated the A/C controls with lots of good pictures showing how to do that.

But the problem could just as easily be a flaky main logic board. You could buy the same radio from someone whose CD mechanism failed and swap boards. Your only other choice would be to get another whole radio.

I think it's time to perform an exorcism.

My car's radio turned itself up to 35 a few weeks ago and I couldn't lower the volume. I had to turn the car off and on again and then I was able to turn it down. Who knows what caused that.

Archived