LegacyGT.com

'06 LGT possible blown turbo

Been doing a lot of soul searching, trying to decide where to go next.

My '06 LGT is on it's second turbo. The first one went at 119,000 miles, 3 years ago. I went back through that paperwork, and saw that the mech checked for signs of metal in the oil, the pan, intake, etc. Found none.

Now, at 177,000 miles, it looks like it's out again - I've got the P00011 and P00021 codes. I was driving down the highway and there was a sound like a light "poooosh", followed by a drop in power. Engine sounded good, but I could also hear gurgling, like coolant in lines. I shut it down, and had it towed to the shop.

Shop says the codes are showing up, and there is a bunch of oil in the intake (or maybe intercooler?). Recommends full turbo replacement, oil lines, banjo bolt and a few odds and ends for about $5600.

I'd like to see whether there is any metal damage, so rather than have the shop tear into it, I'm going to do things myself. Get it home, drain the oil, pull the pan and the turbo off, and see what's what.

Then, based on what I find, decide whether I can get by with a turbo rebuild, or if I need a new short block.

It's been a while since I've done this much work on a car, but it's like riding a bike, right?

Holly mother of God...$5600...that is insane for what they are replacing unless a new short block is part of it.

Oil in the intake happens as a regular occurrence, it's nothing unusual unless there is a quart of oil in there, but a blown turbo could have done that.

Replace the turbo, the banjo filters (or take them out) oil cooler, oil pan (or clean it really, really, really, well), try and clean your AVCS solenoids, and you'd maybe be a grand into it if you can get your turbo rebuilt. While you are in there replace your turbo intake as they are known to fail, and your intake to TGV valve gaskets, as they leak too.

Good luck and let us know what you come up with.

• 2 years later...

I'm back on this project now, got distracted for a couple years. Time to get it done. I've spent much of the past two years overseas, and the car has been sitting. I think I'll put a little money in it since I can't find a replacement I like as much for under $55000.

I need a car to keep at my office, over in Atlanta.

Will start with turbo rebuild or replacement. I plan to stay stock unless someone convinces me of a reason to do otherwise.

Will check engine condition, replace oil pan, remove the banjo filter.

I plan to install a Cobb Stage 2 kit and downpipe.

I'll do new carpet, seat reupholstery, and sound system.

New paint.

I think I can get all this done for under $10k.

Am I nuts?

$5600?? That's gotta be a mistake unless the few odds and ends is a short block...

^yeah that. $7k should pretty much get you a full rebuild just about anywhere.

At this point, IMO your much better off to do it right the first time.

New ej257 short block

have your heads rebuilt

remove both banjo filters

send turbo to JmP6889928, PM him, for a rebuild or www.tuningalliance.com for a rebuild, he's a tuner also so you may want him to send you a tune...

do not use the Gates timing belt kit.

read my click here link for other ideas and pictures.

I really don't care about the seats and stuff, some one can answer that...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The gates timing belt kit is fine.

That depends on which components are in the kit. Gates used to include their own timing belt plus OEM components. More recently, the Gates kits may contain non-OEM idlers from China. These idlers have a reputation for not holding up. People here have experienced premature failure of the tensioners and water pumps in those kits. If any of those components fails, it means expensive engine work.

I agree with Max on this one, it's better to steer clear until Gates gets back to better quality.

Archived