LegacyGT.com

Pimp my Wagon

My son has inherited my garnet red 05 Legacy GT Wagon. He's a 16 y.o. and will be in the Maldive Islands for 2 months this summer teaching computer skills and English. I want to suprise him with some upgrades when he gets back. Wagon is stock and have 4K to spend. What should I do? :confused:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

how much you looking to spend?

short throw shifter.

you could do some suspension upgrades, bigger rear sway bar, maybe endlinks all around, although I'm still running OEM. and an upper rear stabilizer bar.

this is how mine is now and I love it. I've toyed with dropping it some, however I'm a mountain biker and I don't want to sacrifice height.

maybe some wheels?

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

Pay someone to remove the turbo! Or, buy an access port and put it in valet mode and break the access port with a hammer.

I would have loved to have an LGT type car when I was 16. Realistically though, it would have doubled the amount of tickets I got and tripled the chances of an accident!

Jump on it, Let's do it, Ride it, My Pony...

EL4NFZT7

Think mabey a mild exhaust, some nice wheels, tinting, and fixing a couple door dings and scratches. Hadn't given suspension much thought. Can only spend $4,000 so want value parts. Suggestions welcome. Get lots of snow so can't lower.

Pay someone to remove the turbo! Or, buy an access port and put it in valet mode and break the access port with a hammer.

I would have loved to have an LGT type car when I was 16. Realistically though, it would have doubled the amount of tickets I got and tripled the chances of an accident!

My son is responsible beyond his years. When he drives the subie he is shooting for optimal mpg and is always updating me on his best results.(I'm happy he's a nerd) He lectures me on my speed and impatience behind the wheel! That being said, not really interested in making it much faster.

Think mabey a mild exhaust, some nice wheels, tinting, and fixing a couple door dings and scratches. Hadn't given suspension much thought. Can only spend $4,000 so want value parts. Suggestions welcome. Get lots of snow so can't lower.

this all sounds good to me

I wouldn't worry about any performance upgrades if he's into high mpg...pass on the suspension parts

search for "Hog-zawst" for a very inexpensive exhaust mod

also look into getting a set of dedicated snow tires/winter wheels...if the car still has the original Bridgestone RE92s, get rid of them asap

you can paint the stock wheels...you'd be surprised how good they look...especially gold wheels on GRP (red)

There's all kinds of relatively inexpensive upgrades that make it a little nicer:

aluminum WRX pedals

aux-in jacks for ipods/mp3 players

shift knobs

led lighting

this all sounds good to me

I wouldn't worry about any performance upgrades if he's into high mpg...pass on the suspension parts

search for "Hog-zawst" for a very inexpensive exhaust mod

also look into getting a set of dedicated snow tires/winter wheels...if the car still has the original Bridgestone RE92s, get rid of them asap

you can paint the stock wheels...you'd be surprised how good they look...especially gold wheels on GRP (red)

There's all kinds of relatively inexpensive upgrades that make it a little nicer:

aluminum WRX pedals

aux-in jacks for ipods/mp3 players

shift knobs

led lighting

Thanks. Have some decent Blizzaks that came with the car and the ipod/mp3 hookups already. Good ideas-didn't think of dressing up the interior.

I'd focus on things to make the car safer, not faster/louder/more noticeable, i.e. brake upgrades, suspension upgrades (not necessarily lowered), tires, etc.

Will definitely look into suspension/brakes. Coilovers?

I'd say go for the bigger sway bars. How about some window tint, aftermarket grill, tail light tint, cat back exhaust, and a million mile drop in K&N air filter? Rims would be nice too.

As far as simple bolt on performance part... How about an underdrive pulley and some good parts from COBB/Perrin?

http://www.cobbtuning.com/categories/?id=2430

Brakes first (pads,lines and fluid) , Stage one or two with accessport or custom tune. Both will net better gas milage if you don't stomp . Suspension very important, consider a rear sway bar first then mild springs and dampers or high quality coilovers. I like the drivers school idea.

A good driving school? AutoXing?

He just finished a driving school 7 months ago in preparation of getting his license. Plus he's had the privilege of driving with an expert for many years!:lol: I'm leaning toward catback, coilovers, tinting, sway bar, and Rota dpt's. Will have a fresh 50,000 mile service as well. Brakes should be addressed at service. Hopefully tab will be under 4K.

Have you considered a front lip? You should be able to snag one for under $300, paint it flat black, and it fits any color of LGT very nicely adding a bit of lower-end stance to the front end that I really like.

I've an '05 LGT Wagon and my progression was window tints, front lip, short throw shifter, then '04 STi wheels and breaks with BC racing coilovers.

-Cobb AP

-Hawk pads

-Goodridge brake lines

-Bilstein HD struts or koni inserts for the suspension

-Rallitek or ion springs

-Upgraded front and rear sways,

-Endlinks

-18" wheels and tires (Prodrive, volks, ect.)

-Tint

-Short throw shifter

-hids

Done with probably money to spare.

Additional items:

-upgraded topmount intercooler perrin or avo,

-down pipe (cobb, perrin, or avo),

-mid pipe and y-pipe from AVO (keep stock mufflers).

With the DP you can go stage II on the Access Port.

You say he's a nerd?

Put in an Alpine DVD/navi/everything and some nice speakers and a sub. Rims for sure, and a nice tint. Go darker on the back windows, looks sick.

Honestly more power at that age is a bad idea. If he's not going to use it, it's a waste. If he is, he doesn't have the muscle memory and understanding of how other people drive in relation to him enough to be as safe as someone with a lot of experience. My .02

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Second on a REAL driving school, not driver's ed. It is important to get track experience and learn about vehicle dynamics so when there is an emergency situation, he will know what to do.

After that, get better tires, and a dedicated set of snows.

Fuzzy dice (a hit with the ladies), tree air freshener and a glowing skull on that trailer hitch. Last but not least, suspended nads (preferably in black or silver) But only if the Leggy is not lowered too much.

I'm 16 and id love some classy rims, maybe black out the headlights, audio??, and slightly tuned exhaust.

haha glad I'm still in touch...

+10000 for a day or weekend at race school though. Best money you'll ever spend. Seriously.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

Archived