LegacyGT.com

How To: Replace/Rebuild torn CV boot and/or Axle

• Replies 850
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• I Donated
Not sure what you guys have against the reman axles, I've had an autozone one in my car for almost 3 years and 55,000 miles. Zero problems and a lot less hassle than re-booting your stock axles. For less than the cost of all the stuff in Gimpydingo's post you can have a reman axle from autozone and have money left over to buy the 32mm socket.

Not sure what you guys have against the reman axles, I've had an autozone one in my car for almost 3 years and 55,000 miles. Zero problems and a lot less hassle than re-booting your stock axles. For less than the cost of all the stuff in Gimpydingo's post you can have a reman axle from autozone and have money left over to buy the 32mm socket.

Becuz OEM....

But seriously, thanks I'll go this route. Looks like the right one. I'll get the part and bring in the core after install.

http://www.autozone.com/drivetrain/cv-axle/duralast-reman-cv-axle/subaru/legacy-awd/2007/4-cylinders-2-5l-mfi-turbo-dohc/26123_706373_0_78655/

I got mine from CT, I was careful and only about a cup of fluid came out. I bought a new seal from the dealer just in case I messed it up. It was under 10$. didn't need it but if I didn't buy it you know I would of needed it.

• I Donated
Any tips on that?

I got mine from CT, I was careful and only about a cup of fluid came out. I bought a new seal from the dealer just in case I messed it up. It was under 10$. didn't need it but if I didn't buy it you know I would of needed it.

This. Have the seal on hand, that way you cannot possibly damage it. In all seriousness though, just try to pull/push straight. pry bar can help to get it out, just work it around from a bunch of different spots.

the reboot kit direct from dealership is only ~$30 dollars (can get it for less online at rockauto or some other supplier).

I've also got one Autozone reman axle in my subie too, and the first was fine and was actually a reman Suabru axle (had the three "dents"). the second one I got for the drivers side wasn't a Subaru axle and the boot couldn't handle the high ride height of my OEM height outback and the boot was constantly "buckling" while I drove, making quite the annoying drone at speed. it also wasn't appropriately sized/turned on the bearing surface and literally wouldn't fit into my tranny (without some modification/grinding). THAT is why you gotta pay attention to the reman axles, that and some aren't reman'd well and tend to fail quickly.

As per not getting an actual reman Subaru axle, just look at the LONG list of cars that the "same" reman axle is supposed to fit and then wonder if that's really true. and BTW, it's not.

and the rebooting is surprisingly simple and easy to do. really. I think it's simpler than getting a new one, and half the cost and don't need to make another trip to return a core or worry about the "quality" of the parts or reman axle.

That and the last 4 reman axles I've tried to get at the local autozone haven't been suabaru axles. talk about a waste of trips.

I'd forgo taking it back for the core charge and reboot the OEM axle yourself for a future axle breakdown. it's definitely worth it and I wish I had not given autozone my first OEM axle as a core. that was stupid.

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

^ This is one of the reasons I do like certain OEM parts.

The OEM boot kit seems to be around $70 for part: 28397AG00B

I do see Rock Auto for around $15

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=3865884&jnid=4&jpid=0

Would it be a good idea to get another retaining clip/ring for the green cup as well?

Edited by gimpydingo

You can get a single-ended (tranny side) boot kit for ~30 from the parts counter, couldn't tell ya the part number. Comes with new axle nut, retaining clip, e-ring, both clamps, grease, etc.

If the parts kit you end up getting doesn't have the clip, and you are reasonably careful in dissassembly, you shouldn't need a new one.

Sent from my XT1028

I thought about rebuilding mine, but the parts counter wanted 27$ for grease per boot. Then almost 20$ a boot and 4-5$ for each of the band clamps. It was cheaper to just buy a brand new one with a lifetime warranty.

I thought about rebuilding mine, but the parts counter wanted 27$ for grease per boot. Then almost 20$ a boot and 4-5$ for each of the band clamps. It was cheaper to just buy a brand new one with a lifetime warranty.

What exactly did you end up buying?

SURTRACK Part# SB8047 I got it at Canadian tire for 110$ plus Tax. It comes with a lifetime warranty and I can exchange it at any Canadian Tire. The Unit was new not remanufactured and no core charge. I have put about 1000km on it so far. no noises or vibrations. Its been a hard 1000km too. I spent all weekend on the Ice track here spinning my tires and sliding around.

The OEM boot kit seems to be around $70 for part: 28397AG00B

holy cow. I went back a few pages and checked and I purchased the 28397AG000 part from my local parts counter and only paid $35. I guess I should take a 6 pack of beer the next time I go since he doesn't seem to be raping me for parts prices.

holy cow. I went back a few pages and checked and I purchased the 28397AG000 part from my local parts counter and only paid $35. I guess I should take a 6 pack of beer the next time I go since he doesn't seem to be raping me for parts prices.

Seems 28397AG000 is only $30 while 28397AG00B is $70 :spin: looks to be the same part.

What I meant was an aftermarket replacement boot kit.

They can be found for less than $15 per boot.

I think a few pages back someone used the Rock Auto with no issues.

I think I'm going with that:

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=860589&cc=1433582

EDIT:

Nah, going going for the full axle. $50 shipped can't be beat. SURTRACK SB8047 (SB-8047)

Edited by gimpydingo