LegacyGT.com

5EAT early automatic upshifts in manual mode

gimpydingo

I mentioned this in someone elses thread, but don't want to jack that.

07 LGT, 75k miles

Couple of things.

In automatic mode, if I WOT without easing into - say a steady depress of the gas to about 3/4+ then full to the floor - it feels like the turbo doesn't really kick in. I don't get that boost and can hear the engine racing, similar to WOT in a 2.5i.

The main issue being if I'm in manual mode. In S or S#, from 2nd to 3rd gear. Lets say in 2nd heading up a freeway ramp. If I WOT in 2nd to get on the freeway, the car will upshift automatically around 3500-4k RPM's then they drop to around 2500ish. Huge power loss and takes quite a bit to get back to boost and keep going.

Sometimes I'll be a little quicker on the shift, but it still upshifts from 2nd to 3rd, but now I'm in 4th since I manual shifted as it decided to shift on its own. Obv not good for trying to merge on a fast moving freeway.

Thoughts?

I can clarify more if needed.

almost sounds like your waste gate is stuck on your turbo .. thus the turbo is not building boost at as low rps as it should.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Manual mode it will shift early ? Yours shifts when it's in manual mode ?

I guess you mean when you put the shifter to the left position ?

When you simply put it there it's kind of a sport mode.

You need to move the shifter up or down a gear before hand and then it will hold it there.

Shifter to left (manual mode), put in either S or S#

Let's say I'm on a ramp to get on the freeway, cruising in 2nd. If I WOT, waiting to hit 5000+ RPM to shift, usually the car will shift automaitcally around 4k - 4500 RPM's, leaving me in a higher gear than I need at the moment and no RPM's to get up to speed.

So are you saying, I should already be in manual mode from a stop, then shifting through the gears? I'll give that a try.

It's probably when I'm already going I'll switch to manual, and down shift (since it's probably in a higher gear than I need) to get to cruising speed before I need to WOT to merge/get on freeway/etc...

Simply putting the shifter to left is not manual mode you have to move it either up or down at some point.

If you are in manual in 3,4or 5th on 05-07 model there will be a "shift " at about 5000 rpm this is the torque converter lock up this will only happen once per gear when that is engaged the car is effectively like a manual car.

On 08+ cars this can also happen in 2nd as well as the other gears.

I realize I have to actually move the shifter up or down to shift up or down a gear. I am shifting. What I am saying is the car will upshift on it's own (when I don't want it to and am expecting to shift myself), and below the 5000 RPM where the torque conv locks up. :/

uh i dunno then .. mine will just bounce off the rev limiter.

so if you go on to a strait stretch of road put in manual mode and the push again to - to get in first gear then you floor it it will shift for you?

1st gear doesn't seem to shift on it's own. From 2nd to 3rd is where I see it. Cruising a straight away in 2nd, WOT, RPMs hit 4000k+ it auto shifts. Best way I can describe it. It seems to do it over half time. So I usually leave it automatic when merging onto freeways and such.

thats odd...

wonder if the tcu is getting input to shift from either a bad wire or there is a bug in the programming.

^ THANKS .

my boss has 07 lgt stock and i was playing with it .. part throttle it will shift at 5700 rpm full throttle 6500 in manual mode.

Interesting, if I 3/4 the throttle I have no problems, full throttle it wants to shift on it's own. But that really isn't the case either, my wife just had it shift after a stop sign, she started up the hill, got into 2nd, then it shifted itself into 3rd a few seconds later. Getting it checked.

Get it done! LOL Too funny, dumping the AWD for a RWD beast. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...
Took to the dealer, all they did was reset the TCU and change out the tranny fluid, which I planned on doing. Obv didn't help, still shifts on it's own from 2nd to 3rd. I was even doing it around town, at maybe 3000 rpms. Going back this weekend. UGH

In my experience, every single transmission issue involving weird TCU behavior, has been solved by fixing an engine issue, such as bad sensor, boost/vac leak, or something of that nature.
[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

That's what I'm thinking. The shifting is smooth, no noise, no other issues. Auto mode no real issues, and manual when it works it's great. Not thinking it's the tranny itself, but some other component. I'll give an update by Monday...hopefully with a fix. And obv need to resolve this before undertaking my planned upgrades. Valve body I'm looking at you!!

Ahhh sweet lord! Dropped off the car at the dealer. Spoke to the tech and right away we can reset the TCU and change the fluids. I just explained to the service dude that I had this done last weekend. So I have the tech trying to tell me it's normal for the tranny to auto shift, even at that low speed/rpm range so it won't damage the tranny under load. I had to tell him that was not true, I know it will when it gets close to redline, but not at 3500 RPMs not even WOT, maybe 3/4+ peddle. Happens more in S# mode. I've even had it happen (far less) driving around town, obv not WOT on a main street with traffic. Not confident any resolution will come of this. I'll have to look around for a shop that can better diagnose this or has a better idea. Guess we shall see in a few hours what Sub has to say.

Archived