LegacyGT.com

Headlight Washer Mod?

mbcracken

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some help in putting together a mod to mount some headlight washers to my 05 LegGTLmt Wagon. What I've found so far is pretty much everywhere else in the world, Subby offers these washers. I also know that they have to be a separate pump that runs at much higher volume.

Anyone know where I can at least start to research this? I've googled the world and this site without any success.

Cheers,

Mike

Here is a link on how to retrofit one onto a VW.

http://www.bambergvr6.50megs.com/hella_washer.htm

Seems pretty simple, you just need to find a place to mount them on the bumper beam... or may have to modify the beam to accomodate the washer nozzel. Also, you'll have to figure out how to wire it up.

Here is another one I found... this is the one I was intending to post in the first place. Retro for one onto a Jetta.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62150

I know these aren't of retros onto a Legacy, but it gives you a good idea of the type of work involved in getting one fitted onto the car.

Both of those modifications use the self extending washer nozzles and are sort of specific to the VW bumpers.

Has anyone considered the nozzles on the BMWs or Range Rovers which are always exposed? They sort of look like these:

http://www.siemensvdo.com/products_solutions/replacement-parts/screen-and-headlight-washer-systems/washer-nozzles/washer-nozzles.htm

http://www.siemensvdo.com/products_solutions/chassis-carbody/body_chassis_electronics/clear-vision/nozzles/static-headlight-cleaning/static-headlight-cleaning.htm

These appear to only require a hole to be drilled on the bumper cover instead of a larger rectangular hole which then needs a cover for when the nozzles are not deployed.

Those two links show nozzles which sit higher, but I've seen the BMW versions (http://www.kenrockwell.com/bmw/540headlights.htm)which are fairly low profile. Just curious as to whether anyone has looked into those.

Here is a link on how to retrofit one onto a VW.

http://www.bambergvr6.50megs.com/hella_washer.htm

Seems pretty simple, you just need to find a place to mount them on the bumper beam... or may have to modify the beam to accomodate the washer nozzel. Also, you'll have to figure out how to wire it up.

Here is another one I found... this is the one I was intending to post in the first place. Retro for one onto a Jetta.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=62150

I know these aren't of retros onto a Legacy, but it gives you a good idea of the type of work involved in getting one fitted onto the car.

I was previously trying to find the retractable (R2-D2) ones just for cool factor, but in reviewing the Subby bumpers it may be tough to make those fit. I had not thought about BMW & Range Rover nozzles, but I like how flush they are to the bumper. I'm also working with a local MOD shop for other ideas. I'll definitely update this thread once I have more info.

What I have learned so far is that I will need to add a second pump to produce the jet pressure needed to clear a headlamp without a wiper unit. The concern that I now am pondering is heated nozzles so they don't freeze in the winter.

Cheers,

Mike

I was previously trying to find the retractable (R2-D2) ones just for cool factor, but in reviewing the Subby bumpers it may be tough to make those fit. I had not thought about BMW & Range Rover nozzles, but I like how flush they are to the bumper. I'm also working with a local MOD shop for other ideas. I'll definitely update this thread once I have more info.

What I have learned so far is that I will need to add a second pump to produce the jet pressure needed to clear a headlamp without a wiper unit. The concern that I now am pondering is heated nozzles so they don't freeze in the winter.

Cheers,

Mike

FYI - the washer bottle has a slot for a second nozzel. This second nozzel slot is for wagons (rear window). Since you have a wagon, you'll have to make a hole for a third, or find a location for a second reservoir.

Yes, keep us up-to-date on this... This would be cool to have.

FWIW-

I had these in my Audi. It was a nice feature to have, but I would blow through wiper fluid. They went off whenever the head lighs were on.

You may want to make sure that these are on a separate switch.

I too had them on my Audi and is now providing the motivation for this project. I seem to remember on my Audi the headlight washer would only kick on if I had the washer lever for more then X (3-5?) seconds. This would offer a small way to run out of fluid really fast.

It also looks like BMW has a feature that only washes the headlights on every 5th windshield washing & the headlights would also have to be on.

I did find this handy BMW schematic and parts needed for the very basic (non-telescopic) headlamp washers.

Click

Looks pretty simple which I need to do to make this work with the Subby bumper and keep it low cost.

Cheers,

Mike

Nice, i was about to post the same link to the RealOEM site. I figure those parts can be had at a salvage yard for a fraction of the price. I don't imagine those parts seeing much wear and tear.

As for heated nozzles, I never have had that happen to me on my windshield washer nozzles, and I've been living in the northeast all my life, including a four year stint in CT. I use either the Prestone or RainX brand washer fluids and I've felt that they possess enough anti-freeze compounds in them to prevent freezing, even at highway speeds.

I think when I actually get to doing this project, i'll have a "kill switch" wired in so that I can shut down the headlamp washing pump when its not needed.

I too had them on my Audi and is now providing the motivation for this project. I seem to remember on my Audi the headlight washer would only kick on if I had the washer lever for more then X (3-5?) seconds. This would offer a small way to run out of fluid really fast.

It also looks like BMW has a feature that only washes the headlights on every 5th windshield washing & the headlights would also have to be on.

I did find this handy BMW schematic and parts needed for the very basic (non-telescopic) headlamp washers.

Click

Looks pretty simple which I need to do to make this work with the Subby bumper and keep it low cost.

Cheers,

Mike

• 1 year later...

No progress yet. I tried to get a hold of some of the Subaru telescoping washers they sell in Europe. I sent out a couple emails to a English dealership, but never saw a reply. I really want the pop-up ones and was going tosee if I could keep psuedo OEM.

To be honest, I spend more time wrenching my bicycles then my car.

Cheers,

Mike

what about the volvo set ups? i know the XC and some of the other models have the washers on them.

03 BH

Mods: Group A Alt & Crank Pullys and end links,

CIA, JDM L7 Grille, JDM HID lights, JDM rear tails

Stromung CBE, KYB GR2's W/ H&R springs.

No progress yet. I tried to get a hold of some of the Subaru telescoping washers they sell in Europe. I sent out a couple emails to a English dealership, but never saw a reply. I really want the pop-up ones and was going tosee if I could keep psuedo OEM.

To be honest, I spend more time wrenching my bicycles then my car.

Cheers,

Mike

Which English dealership did you reach out to? If you haven't already, try Cheam Subaru. They've always been fairly quick in responding. Here's a link: http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9498&highlight=armrest+group+buy

Let us know what you find out about the SOE ones.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

• 5 months later...
just drove down from breck this am and this is a mod we need... I bought good bulbs so I can see well but what good is that when after 10 minutes on the road the headlights are coated with grime :( ill start looking into this myself

Subscribed.

This one's got my interest, too! :)

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

stupid question.. but I've never really understood the purpose of headlight washers. I guess if you've got bugs all over your car or something? :confused:

if it has a hold the button for 1 second and only when headlights are on type thing as was suggested it doesn't sound like an oem retrofit will work for us. That sounds like part of the BCM which may differ from usdm and edm/jdm markets (surprise!)

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

stupid question.. but I've never really understood the purpose of headlight washers. I guess if you've got bugs all over your car or something? :confused:

In snow country a salt-encrusted car is a common occurrence. That coating on the headlights can really cut down on the amount of light output.

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_RW4-iMLYAys/RcZnwl5imbI/AAAAAAAABE0/lBWnT3GQfZk/P1000501.JPG

me too...I've done a little research and it seems that the washer nozzles off of the BMWs would be the easist since they don't have any articulation...

Yeah, out here, about 10 minutes in a good snow and your headlights are at 50% of normal or less, I would LOVE to do this...

• 3 years later...

Archived