LegacyGT.com

How fast will our cars go?

Went for a surf today (chasing hurricane waves) . Met a guy at the Beach with an older modded M-5 . We were appreciating each others rides. He asked me what my ride topped out at . He claimed he could hit 180 on a long staight. I said I'd done a buck 30 at the track but had no real intension of finding out. So theoretically what will a good stage II-III leggy do (more out of curiosity) 160-170 MPH?

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think you might run out of gearing to hit 170+ unless you have an 8000 rpm motor.

^^^ this

if gearing isn't your limitation drag will be. The Leggy isn't exactly a model of aerodynamic efficiency. That said I have eeked just past 150 on a mile long straightaway... right before the engine began to overheat:lol:

155 mph is where the car (5MT) would gear out.

Have had it at an indicated 135 (which is probably 120 something) on the track and felt like it had more.

I suspect it will pull to redline or near it. Might take a while though.

if gearing isn't your limitation drag will be. The Leggy isn't exactly a model of aerodynamic efficiency.

It's not? Cars.com says an 09 LGT has a drag coefficient of .31 I found these numbers for other cars:

Mustang GT500: .38

Corvette Z06: .34

"Regular" C6: .28

4th gen Camaro: .33

Dodge Challenger: .35

Current Eclipse: .34

2g Eclipse: .30

Depends on tire size and if your a 5EAT, 5MT, or 6MT ...

I've had my 5EAT at 155mph and lots left.. Gearing wise there is a calculator somewhere. I do not feel like finding it.. I plotted it out with my old tires and came up with something around 186 @ 6500 rpm and 20X @ 7500rpm. I'm not sure if it was plotted correct or not but the 5EATs having longer legs.

512whp/465ftlb 2005 5EAT Legacy (Build Log)

Videos -

-

You hit fuel cutoff at just over 165 in 5th gear (just burying the speedo if you dare look down). With the Spec-B 6MT or a modified vehicle, that number could inch north of 170 mph, in my test there was still some room in the motor.

You would need to have at least a stage 1 tune as the stock chip is limited at 138 mph. "Maddie" my '08 QSM found this out just after the Tampa/St Pete skyway bridge where there is about 4 miles of 4 lanes perfectly straight (Northbound). Hope that answers the question.

You would need a really big turbo or a lot of water injection or another form of cooling because at high rpms on a small-to-medium turbo the heat for such a long period of time will be quite bad.

The real question that should be on your mind at those speeds is, "How fast can you slow down?"

Drag will slow you down quick enough until you can safely start to push the brakes without overheating them. Wouldn't go too fast without a long run out. Or get squeaky pads.

[CENTER][B][I] Front Limited Slip Racing Differentials for the 5EAT now available for $1895 shipped, please inquire for details! [/I][/B][/CENTER]

You would need a really big turbo or a lot of water injection or another form of cooling because at high rpms on a small-to-medium turbo the heat for such a long period of time will be quite bad.

Drag will slow you down quick enough until you can safely start to push the brakes without overheating them. Wouldn't go too fast without a long run out. Or get squeaky pads.

So if, for example, if a bone stock LGT were to be driven as fast as possible on a track (a long straight-away) or the Autobahn, you're saying that it wouldn't be able to maintain that speed for a while without overheating? Is that a problem inherent to all turbo cars with small/medium turbos or is it just Legacy/Subaru specific?

And about the brakes (again, assuming a bone stock LGT)... shouldn't they be able to stop the car from its top speed without fading to an unacceptable level? These hypothetical scenarios are pretty interesting since the fastest I've gone in my car was 85MPH or so :lol:

Well guys, we really shouldn't be posting what top speed we have reached on here. I know what mine will do but I'd never post it.

Probably the best post in this thread;

The real question that should be on your mind at those speeds is, "How fast can you slow down?"

Archived