LegacyGT.com

2008 Legacy Head gasket leaking....???

Well title says it, had Subaru look at what was leaking and as we thought it was the head gasket. I was wondering if anyone has done it them selfs, or has a DYI, or has some insight on it. This would help a bunch.

NOTE.... The car runs great, do everything in my little shop with two other guys just wanted some input on it. For now I will be driving my RSX-S :spin:.

Bummer man! I always hate SOA for not acknowledging that the HG's suck as a result of their engineering or Q/A oversight and offer to help a owner out when this problem arises even after SOA announced they resolved "all HG issues from previous generations"

Two ways about it, pull the engine do the HGs on the bench or leave it in the car and remove the heads.

People argue for both methods and i get why you would pull the engine but I wouldn't pull the engine unless you can verify the matting surface on the block is warped. If both surfaces are true, removed the heads, clean things up and use a quality replacement HG.

Very nice one part video:

thanks for the reply GEE. I am using Felpro MLS gaskets they look very nice and cost a bit more but thats ok. I had a question, I keep hearing I need to take the heads to a machine shop to have them done or what ever. The car runs fine and I Have drove it on many 300 mile trips hell even hit 100 plus a few time and did not know the car had a leaking head gasket. The car runs fine and pulls strong. It is now parked and is driving about 15 miles a day to work, which is very close and at low speeds. it has a very small leak from what I can tell from checking the oil like twice a week and keeping close eye on my gauges and all other things. Also the subie guy who worked on my STI and other thing would have told me it it was about to die. can you give me some insight on the heads. I do not think for a second they are warped. the car is not overheating as I can tell.

The best way to tell is when the heads come off to use a straight edge and check it to be true. Like you said it has never overheated so that is a good sign for ruling out warped surfaces as the culprit but you cant tell for sure until they are on the bench. They should check out to be straight its a matter of surface clean and prep and reassembly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi guys,

Well I have a 2008 Legacy 2.5i LTD with only 67K on it. Completely shocked to find out that BOTH head gaskets are dripping oil.

Though at one time I was a "car guy" who did all my own work, on this car I have had the dealer do all the oil changes, brakes, and coolant change. I did the differential and transmission fluids, spark plugs, other things that aren't too big a PITA to do !

I moved a year ago so I have been using a new dealer. They are the ones who pointed out the leaks and suggested a $2,300 repair. I couldn't believe they were leaking so I called an independent shop who said, yeah, he has seen that and his price is about the same. I called my original selling dealer and they said they had never noted oil leaks on my service records, and since I was not too far out of warranty, I should try contacting Subaru USA for relief.

I did email Subaru, mentioning how disappointed I was that a well-maintained low mileage car requires a repair that will often total-out a less expensive car.

Long story short, Subaru has offered to pay 50% of the repair and I have the car in the shop right now. I'm pretty happy about that I feel like Subaru stepped up and took some responsibility.

I hope others who are in a similar situation try their luck with Subaru USA - you might get some help too.

Archived