LegacyGT.com

Good deal?

Saw this whilst cruising flea-bay. Whatta yuns think?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280726381064?item=280726381064&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

To me it looks like a factory IC just without factory endtanks. and the ad says that its about 2" deeper so about double the size of the factory unit. Thoughts?

what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

The auction has the option to make an offer to the seller so I offered $300 expecting an alert back saying that the seller declined. The seller quickly (about 5 minutes later) accepted my offer and e-bay sent me an e-mail saying that I had won the auction and have 7 days to pay up. All I'm really looking for is a replacement for the factory unit in an effort to do away with the plastic end tanks and up the boost a touch but don't wanna get ripped.
what did u mean when you said. it felt like i was driving a civic? did u mean the car felt like it was more dependable and it was getting better mpg's?

yes and no ..

problem being with the location when sitting in traffic it gets hot from engine heat exhaust heat and its own heat and there is no air moving to cool it. this is a larger intercooler with more mass and little bit more cooling ability at speed. but when your driving 50 mph the stock unit has enough ability to cool.

where this would be benificial would be a longer amount of time before it becomes hot when sitting in traffic, ie come off the highway sit at two lights and the car will still have good power.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Would something like this have any improvements on a stock setup?

Like Frank_ster said, its bigger than the factory unit so more mass in and out, but the major selling point for me is that it doesnt have plastic endtanks that burst at much more than 15-17 PSI. With all aluminum construction, you can get away with running higher boost levels.

Looks like a Torque Solution TMIC, which Import Image carries.

Found it on the IIR website. The ad on their site reads almost identical to the flea-bay ad and Im pretty sure its the same picture. Original price is $600 and the discounted price was $450. Bought mine for $300... Makes me think maybe I sell it for $400 and buy a FMIC... ;)

• 2 weeks later...
Tried to install aforementioned intercooler yesterday and upon removing the factory unit I found that my mechanic has cross-threaded the rear bolt that connects the intercooler inlet side to the turbo. Not very happy. I called and he said it couldn't have been him. He installed the new turbo so it had to be him. Started losing light and having a lot of trouble jamming the outlet pipe into the TB hose, I gave up and reinstalled the factory unit after drilling out the bolt holes on the turbo. Ended up using standard hardware and through bolting it back together. Will try again in a few days. On a side-note, I'm kinda shocked how much bigger this intercooler is over factory spec. Makes installation without removing intake manifold very tough!

Tried to install aforementioned intercooler yesterday and upon removing the factory unit I found that my mechanic has cross-threaded the rear bolt that connects the intercooler inlet side to the turbo. Not very happy. I called and he said it couldn't have been him. He installed the new turbo so it had to be him. Started losing light and having a lot of trouble jamming the outlet pipe into the TB hose, I gave up and reinstalled the factory unit after drilling out the bolt holes on the turbo. Ended up using standard hardware and through bolting it back together. Will try again in a few days. On a side-note, I'm kinda shocked how much bigger this intercooler is over factory spec. Makes installation without removing intake manifold very tough!

IIR, IPR, and other perrin clones are known to fit like shit. be awareeeeee

IIR, IPR, and other perrin clones are known to fit like shit. be awareeeeee

Shite! Well from how far we got along on Sunday, I think if I can get a good seal on the TB hose the rest will fall into place. But thanks for the heads up! Anyone use this intercooler? It shipped without the intercooler inlet side o-ring. Tried the seller and getting no where... :rolleyes: Im sure its a pretty standard sized o-ring but have no part number to give the local auto parts store as its different from the stock config.

Archived