Metal2You

Best Tuned Stage II+ Intake  

64 members have voted

1. 1. Best Tuned Stage II+ Intake

When I get a dyno tune via Cobb AP I will have installed :

Perrin TMIC

Forge Recirc BOV

Titek UP

Perrin HFC DP (one piece believe it or not)

Perrin Mid & Y

What should I do with the intake before the tune? Drop in filter? CAI? I don't imagine I would need to upgrade the turbo inlet on the stock VF40, correct?

This is my daily driver that will see some auto-x and track. I don't want to worry about water on the sensors when sloshing through puddles on flooded roads and the easier to tune the better I suppose.

If I were to ever go further, water/meth injection may be what I would do next.

Yeah it's been debated up and down. Even Subaru's own SPT intake did nothing but make it difficult to tune and make the intake temps warmer. The stock design truley is very good. Not until you start swapping turbo's does it come into restriction and even then some don't do it.

I had considered the same thing and just went with the Perrin drop in while I was stage II. Saw a ton of posts where it was shown that the stock intake is quite effective up to about the 300 whp mark. Also a bunch of posts showing that no matter what mods you do 300 whp is about the max you can ever get on the stock turbo.

But hey .... the car is yours. Do what YOU want.

I will tell you that I went with the AVO CAI when I did my turbo swap. Ran it for about a week or so prior to swapping the turbo. I found the sound of the intake extremely annoying on the stock turbo. The sound with a ball bearing turbo is quite different but I can at least justify that there is some benefit with the intake .... Guess the sound thing is personal to everybody ....

Good luck.

Love it .... once I got adjusted to the increase in lag over the stock turbo. Love the performance. Once the turbo spools it pulls hard right through the entire gear.

If I had to do it again I would probably go with the 380.

Good luck.

Guest LGT-NY
I'm rocking the 380, certainly a gentlemans turbo. There's no better feeling than out accelerating a $45,000 Mustang GT that wants to cut you off. 10 times better than that "mystery meat" that SirSimon is sporting.

That's sick man. What kind of supporting are you running? Fuel pump, Intercoller, Injectors etc. If really want to dial-in what I am going to be buying.

I think I want stay top-mount. Probably get the AVO TMIC with a water/meth kit. That should be able to cool the 380, right?

Avo380

Avo Tmic

Avo Fp Upgrade

Stock Intake

Perrin Panel

Stock Inlet

Dw 650's

Ngk's

IPT VB

TRANNY BUSHING

Oh And The Famed Unanticipated Ej257 Shortblock.

METH WITH A 380? I WOULD SUSPECT METH WITH A SMALLER FASTER SPOOL TURBO. THERE IS ALOT OF ROOM ON THAT 380

I'm rocking the 380, certainly a gentlemans turbo. There's no better feeling than out accelerating a $45,000 Mustang GT that wants to cut you off. 10 times better than that "mystery meat" that SirSimon is sporting.

Yawn.

I ran the AEM on th stock turbo and my current AVO380.

I should have taken audio clips of it, but it sounds a lot better on the AVO turbo.

I think it is the Garret wheel (vs the bb) that makes the difference.

I think the AEM is the only true "cold air" intake. I like mine, nice sound, nothing too abnoxious.

I like it ALOT better after getting a sheild for the filter to stop CEL every time it rained or whenever I went through the touchless car wash.

Are you speaking of sound only?

Yes, it sounds way better on some turbos then others.

It also allows the turbo to flow more air, not much difference on a smaller turbo, but a bigger one practically needs it.

Yeah, I've read other good things about the AEM here, though I also read the K&N is easier to tune.

I didn't realize the water problem with the AEM was only without the shield. Is the shield from AEM too, or did you find another or fabricate one yourself?

Archived