LegacyGT.com

Winter tire stability

king_j

I just installed a new set of Nitto nts snow tires on stock wheels with stock suspension. tire size is 225/45/17.

Prior to this, i was using the potenza re92's. they had 40k miles on them.

The nitto's are great in the snow, have very good traction. when driving on dry roads, going 60+ mph, the cars feels less stable. the steering wheel has "play" in it. it feels like the car struggles to stay straight. Im assuming this is because of the softer rubber compound, but should it be this noticeable?

prior to the nitto's, i did not feel this with the potenzas.

is this with all snow tires?

To some extent, yes. What pressure are you running them at?

+1 on the assessment, and also +1 on the pressures.

king_j, also remember that your tires need a bit of time (miles) to scrub off the mold-release. The tire's subjective "feel" should also be better, after they're no longer quite so slick.

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just installed a new set of Nitto nts snow tires on stock wheels with stock suspension. tire size is 225/45/17.

The nitto's are great in the snow, have very good traction. when driving on dry roads, going 60+ mph, the cars feels less stable. the steering wheel has "play" in it. it feels like the car struggles to stay straight. Im assuming this is because of the softer rubber compound, but should it be this noticeable?

When it isn't snowing snow tires are not as good as all season tires - every tire is some sort of compromise.

^ +1.

Has there been any other reports or reviews of this Nitto winter tire?

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

so this is normal. i dont like driving the car on the highway. :spin:

Yes very normal, especially if you don't have the performance snows. I was running some old blizzaks, very soft and you could feel the car swaying at higher speeds. I used to have an 80 mi round trip on the highway and traffic would move at 70-80 on average. It feels a little unstable, but nothing is gonna happen. If it really bothers you, get a set of performance snows, that should help a bit.

^ The WR and WR G2s are "superior-winter-capable all-seasons," and serve as a crossover between "winter capable all-seasons" and "Performance Winters," and I would thus expect nothing short of that kind of performance, at highway speeds. :)

They may now come in at the bottom half of various winter-tire tests, but it's important to remember what, exactly, these tires are. Framed in the proper context, they could be a very, very good choice for specific end-user needs/preferences.

----

king_j - Do you have the SN-1 or the SN-2 variant?

The only information I've been able to find about the SN-1 (in H-rated variant) was that it was rated #2 (second to best) in the 2007(6?) Consumer Reports test which ranked the Goodyear GW3 as the #1 selection. I've tried to find out exactly how they weighed their testing that year/those years, but have been unsuccessful.

I'm not that familiar with Nitto/Toyo tires, in-general, and although I know that some of the Toyo winter tires have been highly rated in the past two years by various highly-regarded reviewers, I don't completely recall what the tests were based on, in terms of weighing.

Without direct knowledge of your tires - or, substituting for that, a good set of reviews, it's hard, if not impossible, to tell you if what you're experiencing is to be expected, or if it is beyond norms (i.e. if your tires are defective).

As you can see from how the posts on this page played out, different "genres" of winter tires will produce noticeably different "feel" - "Performance Winters" typically offer the better compromise when in clear conditions, at highway speeds, whereas "Studless Ice & Snows" will feel somewhat "floaty/disconnected" under such conditions.

Without a good reference point, we're all kinda lost..... :redface:

Yep--softer rubber compound (so they don't turn into rocks when the temp drops) and a softer sidewall are two critical things to any winter tire, so unfortunately I wouldn't plan on getting the same dry handling as you have with non-winter tires.

As others have said, I would log some more miles on them to wear off the slippery layer from the tire molds and would also advise playing around with the tire pressures more. Keep in mind they'll never handle like a summer tire, but hopefully you can find a pressure where they handle well enough for you on dry roads between storms.

If you find this still doesn't cut-it for you, I would check out the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S Plus tire as a 4-season solution; they're not cheap, but they're a helluva lot cheaper than doing dedicated snows + a set of 3 season tires. I put these on my OB XT last year and have been very impressed with them in the snow.

Hope this helps,

Tim

Have you replaced your Lower Control Arm Bushings? After you've done everything you can to make sure your tires are properly inflated and biased (higher front than rear per factory spec) and the alignment is correct, then I'll bet you a dime to a doughnut your LCA bushings are torn, given the mileage you listed.

Just a thought to check these out.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

[quote=TSi+WRX;2763299

king_j - Do you have the SN-1 or the SN-2 variant?

i have the sn2.

after using these for 300+/- miles, they feel much better. currently at 35psi. highway driving has improved alot. snowy and slushy roads are no problem.

Archived