LegacyGT.com

My flashers stay on all the time

1) The actual 'hazard/flasher' button is not on.

2) The flashers come on blink for a while and then shut off, repeats.

3) The 'parking' light button is not on.

Thought I would cover my bases...

I just recently changed the head gasket on my 1998 2.5L. In the process I pulled the engine which involved disconnecting nearly every electrical connector, hose, and anything else that needed to get removed.

The first thing I did was relieve the pressure in the fuel system by (as per the Haynes Repair Manual) disconnecting the electrical connectors underneath the rear seat cushion. This is when I first noticed the flasher lights coming on and off. I figured it was normal and just continued, assuming that when all was said and done and all connectors back

together, the blinking would cease.

But after reinstalling the engine and reconnecting every single electrical connector I disconnected including the ones that first triggered it, it still does it. I turn the key on and off start and stop the engine itself. I turn the actual hazard flashers on and off. Nothing seems to stop it. Is there a way of "reseting" the car?

The lights will come on and blink for some time and then shut off and then after a while turn back on and continue blinking and the cycle repeats. This happens whether or not the key is in the ignition. The only thing that will stop it is disconnecting the battery, which I did.

Sorry for writing a novel, but I thought I would give as much info as possible. I looked through the owners manual, and the Haynes manual but could not find anything about troubleshooting the system. I have the books so refer to pages if you have them too and it is of any help.

THANKS!

Preston

Hmm sounds like the problem my friend had in his Jeep in where when driving his interior lights would randomly come on and when signalling his highbeams would do the same, it was totally wierd. Found out for him that when he had his Jeep serviced whomever was working on it connected the grounds to something else. Maybe that might be your problem but im not too sure though. Do they come on at random times or maybe when your adjusting the radio or anything like that??

sorry i cant be of help on this

As soon as I connect the battery the lights start to blink. Nothing triggers them other than the fact that the battery is connected.

They will blink for maybe 10-15 seconds. Then stop for like 5 seconds. Then they continue blinking.

Just do a double check - it may be there and is bypassed so it only flashes the lights.

Otherwise - if it's the hazard lights they should use the same flashing unit as the normal turn indicator so that means that you should hear the same ticking as when using the normal turn indicators.

You may start with checking fuses and figure out which fuse that is for the hazard light and remove it. If they still flashes it probably isn't the hazard light switch, but if they go off the switch may be faulty.

By the way - make sure that you didn't connect the green connector with a single wire. That's the test connector that should be disconnected at all times except when doing certain tests on the car.

453747.png

Just do a double check - it may be there and is bypassed so it only flashes the lights.

Otherwise - if it's the hazard lights they should use the same flashing unit as the normal turn indicator so that means that you should hear the same ticking as when using the normal turn indicators.

By the way - make sure that you didn't connect the green connector with a single wire. That's the test connector that should be disconnected at all times except when doing certain tests on the car.

When you say double check, where and what should I be looking for?

I do here the ticking noise from inside the car, sounds like it is coming from under the steering column. Also, the lights flash much slower than if the hazards were actually on.

What is the 'green' connector? Where is it and I will double check it. I do not remember disconnecting any specific green connector.

Thanks for all the help so far.

I think I found the 'green' connector. It was under the steering column on the right hand side. It was not connected.

I did not find the 'button'. But I am not sure what I am looking for...

If anyone is feeling really nice and has the time, a picture would be really cool to figure out what I am looking for.

Thanks

ok i know what it is

my car does the same thing you set the cars internal alarm

to undo it there is a process write it down because it needs to be done exactly right

1.undo the battery

2.manually lock all the doors

3.redo the battery

at this point the doors should auto unlock and then the ticker will go away

• 1 year later...

Archived