LegacyGT.com

How to Install Steering Wheel Radio Controls

Hi was wondering if someone could help with my SWC, or if maybe SVXdc may know,

I have installed a Kenwood DDX9016DABS their newest Carplay units into my JDM 2006 Legacy. I am trying to get the SWC working however haven't had much luck.

Apparently the new Kenwoods have a direct interface into the OEM SWC so no need to buy an adapater. Instructions are here, this shows the pinouts for most JDM vehicles according to Kenwood.

My vehicle has a 8Pin connector which I assume is the SWC, as it was plugged into the factory Kenwood GX-204JE, and after I used it on the Caska CA3606, where the SWC worked fine.

I tried wiring up the Kenwood supplied steering remote cable, to the 2 Pins on my SWC 8pin plug, as shown on the above site/page. The Green, Purple, Gray are the wires on the supplied steering remote cable.

Then powered on the Kenwood, and go into settings the "Steering Remote Controller" option is greyed out, I am assuming it hasn't detected my SWC and the wiring is incorrect.

Here is the 8PIN plug and 14PIN radio harness in my Legacy.

8pin.thumb.jpg.42ffa142709803b8d04715d5af16c061.jpg

14pin.thumb.jpg.8919b8b7c91cc3186dcdb03326000532.jpg

Edited by jabz

I have installed a Kenwood DDX9016DABS their newest Carplay units into my JDM 2006 Legacy. I am trying to get the SWC working however haven't had much luck.

Apparently the new Kenwoods have a direct interface into the OEM SWC so no need to buy an adapater. Instructions are here, this shows the pinouts for most JDM vehicles according to Kenwood.

My vehicle has a 8Pin connector which I assume is the SWC, as it was plugged into the factory Kenwood GX-204JE, and after I used it on the Caska CA3606, where the SWC worked fine.

I tried wiring up the Kenwood supplied steering remote cable, to the 2 Pins on my SWC 8pin plug, as shown on the above site/page. The Green, Purple, Gray are the wires on the supplied steering remote cable.

Then powered on the Kenwood, and go into settings the "Steering Remote Controller" option is greyed out, I am assuming it hasn't detected my SWC and the wiring is incorrect.

Just an update here.. Turns out the Parking sensor wire wasn't properly grounded, connected properly its working fine. Setup my SWC using the Kenwood pinout on their page, so it's accurate for JDM Subaru's

• 3 weeks later...
I dunno if anyone has asked but I saw this says a/t does this work on a manual?

I've got everything installed except for an aftermarket SWC adapter unit, so I'll let you know if/when it does!

I just bought a Kenwood DDX9903S, and it doesn't seem to have the jack shown in that diagram. Is it only on non-North American Kenwood units?

Also, I'm wondering if anyone knows whether the Maestro RR units will still have any functionality with pre-2007 Legacies. I know that 2007 was the year when Legacies switched to CANBUS, but if the Maestro is pulling data from the OBD2 connector, would that still work in pre-CANBUS cars? Their website only lists compatibility with 2007+, but I'm still curious.

Finally, it's my understanding that if you use one of SVXdc's harnesses, you do NOT need to tap the harness (i.e., add wires) in the connectors by the steering column under the dash - you can just use the wires in SVX's harness at the radio side. Is this correct?

Edited by Arcteryx

I dunno if anyone has asked but I saw this says a/t does this work on a manual?

Yes. On a manual, the B68 harness simply won't have any wires for the shift up/down buttons. It will always have the wires for horn and cruise controls, and also SWCs (if the car had those from the factory).

See my post #383 earlier in this thread.

For a car without factory SWCs, you would need to add new pins/wires for the appropriate slots into B68 (ideally with the proper pins salvaged from a wrecked car's B68).

Some day, maybe we'll identify the proper terminal to fit that plug.

I just bought a Kenwood DDX9903S, and it doesn't seem to have the jack shown in that diagram. Is it only on non-North American Kenwood units?

Correct. A small number of models outside North America have built in steering wheel capability like jabz's DDX9016DABS. Those can be connected directly to resistive-style SWCs, and have menus to "learn" the buttons.

Your DDX9903S will need a steering wheel interface module (ASWC-1, Maestro, etc.).

Finally, it's my understanding that if you use one of SVXdc's harnesses, you do NOT need to tap the harness (i.e., add wires) in the connectors by the steering column under the dash - you can just use the wires in SVX's harness at the radio side. Is this correct?

Not correct. Since your 2006 LGT did not have audio SWCs from the factory, there is a segment of the SWC wires missing between your car's B68 harness plug (at the steering column) and harness B36 (on the bulkhead). You would need to add that missing segment.

On the i85 aux harness that you ordered from me, I inadvertently included the 2 SWC wires. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up.

Correct. A small number of models outside North America have built in steering wheel capability like jabz's DDX9016DABS. Those can be connected directly to resistive-style SWCs, and have menus to "learn" the buttons.

Your DDX9903S will need a steering wheel interface module (ASWC-1, Maestro, etc.).

Thanks - I figured this out belatedly, and have since bought a Maestro SWC to fix it. :)

Not correct. Since your 2006 LGT did not have audio SWCs from the factory, there is a segment of the SWC wires missing between your car's B68 harness plug (at the steering column) and harness B36 (on the bulkhead). You would need to add that missing segment.

On the i85 aux harness that you ordered from me, I inadvertently included the 2 SWC wires. Sorry to have gotten your hopes up.

Ah, ok. It's not that much more work to do it the ghetto way.

What's your personal recommendation for the hookup? Would you still go with the wire-jamming method, or would you use vampire taps?

Anyway, sidebar:

Are these 8-pin connectors behind the steering wheel exactly the same as on the Subaru under-seat subwoofer and its harness (below)?

[attach]28364[/attach]

If so, I can provide a male/female pair that will permit installation without cutting the factory wires. E-mail me if interested.

Also, if this is the same plug, the pin numbers actually run in the opposite direction (swap 1 and 3, and reverse the order of 4-8).

EDIT: After closer examination of trabbic's pictures, I can tell that the subwoofer's connector is different. But if the contact pins are the same, I could at least provide 6" wires with pins already crimped on. That would help for MT cars (and any others where you want to add a wire to slots that were empty)

Yes. On a manual, the B68 harness simply won't have any wires for the shift up/down buttons. It will always have the wires for horn and cruise controls, and also SWCs (if the car had those from the factory).

See my post #383 earlier in this thread.

For a car without factory SWCs, you would need to add new pins/wires for the appropriate slots into B68 (ideally with the proper pins salvaged from a wrecked car's B68).

Some day, maybe we'll identify the proper terminal to fit that plug.

I'm surprised that the pins for these connectors aren't somewhat generic/interchangeable. Surely there's another connector that uses the same pins?

• 5 months later...
Hey I just did this there other day with the help of a fellow member on here. He got the cruise control all wired, but we're trying to tackle the audio controls next. Is the process still the same with an aftermarket radio?

Yes, but you will need a translator module like the Metra or Maestro to make it work.

• 1 month later...
Ok just finished this but can't get any of the left side buttons to work (mode, mute, volume and such). On the back passenger side of my stereo harness there are two black wires. Did I tap into the wrong one? Also it shouldn't matter if I have a 2008 stereo should it?751b747c3013ade6f9c3069c9a3c4c51.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Noob question. I have a 2014 STI A-Line originally doesnt have SWC. So i bought a 2nd hand steering wheel that has SWC. I also bought the ASWC-1. However, my player harness only has 14 pins and im not sure how to tap the required wires to make the SWC on my steering work. Any help is appreciated.

THanks

• 2 months later...
Noob question. I have a 2014 STI A-Line originally doesnt have SWC. So i bought a 2nd hand steering wheel that has SWC. I also bought the ASWC-1. However, my player harness only has 14 pins and im not sure how to tap the required wires to make the SWC on my steering work.

So i took the bottom part of my steering wheel and the one next to the yellow wire shows like this:

https://imgur.com/a/fXv19

It has more pins so i do need help.

Need more information to even begin to help:

* What is your car's model year and model?

* What is the model number on the head unit that Subaru originally fitted in your car? (even if you're replacing it, that will tell me useful info about your car's factory wiring).

* What buttons (if any) are on the steering wheel that Subaru originally fitted in your car? What kind of cruise control buttons (if any)?

* What buttons are on the steering wheel that you're wanting to retrofit into your car?

This thread (trabbic's) is for 2005-2007 Legacy/Outback models. For later years and/or different models, see links in my post here (on the Forester forums).

Need more information to even begin to help:

* What is your car's model year and model?

* What is the model number on the head unit that Subaru originally fitted in your car? (even if you're replacing it, that will tell me useful info about your car's factory wiring).

* What buttons (if any) are on the steering wheel that Subaru originally fitted in your car? What kind of cruise control buttons (if any)?

* What buttons are on the steering wheel that you're wanting to retrofit into your car?

This thread (trabbic's) is for 2005-2007 Legacy/Outback models. For later years and/or different models, see links in my post here (on the Forester forums).

- Model is Subaru STI 2014 A-Line GVF

- Original Head unit was an Eclipse player but i have changed it to a Nakamichi NA6800 android player

- Original steering had only cruise control and i wanted to change it to the following: http://www.cars101.com/subaru/wrxsti/wrxsti14-steeringwheel2.jpg

- So i wanted to make the SWC work with my player as i thought it was just a plug and play for the steering wheel.

- My harness is like the following: https://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showpost.php?p=45429646&postcount=5

Thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I have a 2007 2.5i 4eat

Swapped a 2006 gt spec b momo wheel

2007 Radio model 86201AG69A

Ref no CQ-JF1660X

Looking for the correct wires to tap in to. I don't see a black wire on the i85 that plugs into the back of stereo in step 9

Edited by klrtovfr

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to bump an old thread, but in the older models of Subaru - just way too much work lol.

My former 09 base 2.5i Impreza never came with steering wheel audio controls. I was able to buy the steering wheel audio controls + cruise control (to replace the blank spot + existing cruise control), and it was a simple plug n play. No extra splicing, etc. The wiring was already present.

• 2 months later...

I was wondering why automatic models require the leads change from the steering wheel to the back of the radio?

Looking at cars101.com, it seems there were plenty of automatic models that had audio steering wheel controls. Only the XT's came with sportshift steering wheel controls from the factory.

So it seems there must be some computer setting or perhaps physical part capable of routing the steering wheel control signals to the stereo instead of the TCU...

Edited by jamesm113

I was wondering why automatic models require the leads change from the steering wheel to the back of the radio?

Looking at cars101.com, it seems there were plenty of automatic models that had audio steering wheel controls. Only the XT's came with sportshift steering wheel controls from the factory.

Do you mean the up/down arrow shifters on the wheel? My '05 LGT 5EAT has those and nothing else on my wheel..

Do you mean the up/down arrow shifters on the wheel? My '05 LGT 5EAT has those and nothing else on my wheel..

Correct. It seems all the automatic models are prewired for those types of controls instead of the audio controls.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys,

may be some one could help with this.

I've been through this entire thread and still can't finish the job.

My HU is a single CD one (GX-201LHF2) and I did the connection for an illumination

following this instruction. And this is ok and is working as it should but

the problem is (at least to me) with two wires for signal.

I just don't know where to plug'em in.

The HU has got 3 plugs on the rear panel. The big white one, standard for all types I guess (speakers and so on), the 20 pin black one for an external CD changer, and the 8 pin black one for something, I'm not quite sure for what.

Could anybody support me with this, please?

Thanks in advance.