LegacyGT.com

Headlights Too Bright

gotexans

I don't know if anyone is having the same issue, I get flashed by other drivers even though I'm just using my low beam. It could be the projection beam is too high? Anyway, I'm looking to replace the bulbs with HID ones so I'll probably get more flashes. LOL Anyone have a suggestion on which ones to use, PIAA, Sylvania? Thanks and I'm glad I found this board.

I think it's because of the sharp cutoff of the beam. It looks like you are flashing them if your car is bouncing up and down, so they probably are just flashing you back! I've noticed the same thing with VW Passat's and non-HID Audi's.

tom

tom :)

Ditto the aim problem. My car was aimed right and I never get flashed, but some have reported that their headlights were aimed to high. Just adjust them down a bit. While the stock lights are certainly pretty good for halogens, they are not at all "too bright".

I saw on OB 2.5i today on the way to work... it was overcast, but not dark. In my rear-view mirror, it seemed to me that the lights were aimed too high. I wasn't just catching the direct light upon bumps, but all the time. So it's possible they're just aiming them a bit high from the factory.

I get flashed all the time, but I wonder if it has anything to do with 6 bags of 40lbs rock salt I have in the trunk for better winter driving?:lol:

Is that necessary in an AWD vehicle? Seems like it would just screw up your weight distribution for no good reason.

-Allen

Hmm - interesting. I drive around L.A. every day for past 4 months - and I've never been flashed, that I can recall.

Also, I installed HIDs about 3 weeks ago - not been flashed yet. Maybe L.A. people are just used to luxury cars and their HIDs/Projectors?

Is that necessary in an AWD vehicle? Seems like it would just screw up your weight distribution for no good reason.

-Allen

I was just kidding about the bags of rock salt in the trunk.....kind of reminds me on ski trips to Colorado with the bronco loaded to the top. Low beams turned into high beams.:lol:

Jedi, love the avatar, it's great!

Personally, I don't think the lamps are putting out enough lumens, then again, I'd love the output of a fully rally car setup. :p I'm going to put either higher-output halogen bulbs in, probably from Rallylights.com or do a full HID conversion. Don't know yet. We'll see what happens when cash becomes available.

Oh yeah, I love it when they flash me too. It's like you think that's bright, then flip on the high beams. ;) They turn theirs off real quick. :D

This thread's pretty funny. Oh my God! Another driver flashed his high beams at me!

Way back in high school I had a brand new 1972 Fiat 128 sedan. I couldn't afford Marchal or Cibie driving lights, so I went to the airport and picked up two GE Q-beam sealed beam aircraft landing lights for about $15 each and installed them in Dick Cepek off-road housings.

Aircraft landing lights are wide beam floodlights and whent I flipped the switch I would light up both sides of the road for blocks. When I flashed the car ahead on a mountain road, the other driver woulkd usually pull over expecting to chat with the police.

The lights sucked up so much juice, I swear I must have lost 5 mph top speed. Those were high beams.:lol:

P.S. If you have problems with tailgating, mount a Q-beam on your parcel shelf.

I may be just an uptight old fart, but I don't think there is anything funny or cool about blinding oncoming traffic. That's actually quite dangerous and older people are particularly vulnerable to the glare.

This can cause someone to put a wheel in the ditch or even to not see something or someone that's on the side of the road. Nothing funny about that.

If you're occasionally getting flashed, then it's probably just because you're hitting bumps and they think you are flashing them, or else they just think your headlights are on the bright side and not sure if your on high beams or not. But if you are constantly getting flashed, then there is a more serious problem and it's nothing to proud of, get it fixed!

Man, I've owned a lot of Suvs/cars, and been a part of many forums.....but there are some real crabass subaru people when it comes to lights.....you people must HATE SUV's, never mind HIDS.....(you know who you are) :rolleyes:

Anywho....In all my research on flashing.....some drivers will flash you if you are driving with your headlights and Foglights on at the same time when it's not foggy out...they are telling you (basically) the foglights are overkill.....just something I came across and have heard....turn them off, see if you still get flashed, post back. I'm curious to see if this really has anything to do with it :D

Rock on

Archived