LegacyGT.com

Tablet PC as Carputer?

MatsuDano

Dissected the N7 and extracted the I/O board. So far looks doable, waiting on my shipment of receptacles from digikey to arrive (today hopefully) and start planning out how to rework it. Fun fact, the N7 actually functions/boots without the I/O board even being connected, but the digitizer control is on it so you can't use any touch functions and no USB, obviously.

10526190_10152279538578861_959231152154163171_n.jpg

I'm also waiting on my bezel from AVOjdm, and have been looking at the pictures online which left me with a question: What are you guys doing for the fitment between the bezel and the tablet? The bezel sits on the face of the tablet, so I would think it would rattle or otherwise press the edge into the screen. I was thinking something like a rubber trim or weatherstrip would be good, but the bezel seems to be a narrow edge.

Are you guys leaving a small gap between it, or just fitting it tight against it? Any flex/movement/rattle issues?

• Replies 885
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dissected the N7 and extracted the I/O board. So far looks doable, waiting on my shipment of receptacles from digikey to arrive (today hopefully) and start planning out how to rework it. Fun fact, the N7 actually functions/boots without the I/O board even being connected, but the digitizer control is on it so you can't use any touch functions and no USB, obviously.

10526190_10152279538578861_959231152154163171_n.jpg

I'm also waiting on my bezel from AVOjdm, and have been looking at the pictures online which left me with a question: What are you guys doing for the fitment between the bezel and the tablet? The bezel sits on the face of the tablet, so I would think it would rattle or otherwise press the edge into the screen. I was thinking something like a rubber trim or weatherstrip would be good, but the bezel seems to be a narrow edge.

Are you guys leaving a small gap between it, or just fitting it tight against it? Any flex/movement/rattle issues?

Nice! I took my apart to see if I could reattach the board in such a way that I could get the USB cable out of the way, but that ribbon cable on the opposite side of the board made that impossible. Your idea should work perfectly.

I have my N7 mounted on the mounting plate with velcro. I used some washers to give it the right amount of tilt, but I have nothing between the bezel and the tablet. The bezel fits very snug on the dash, so it won't move, and the tablet seems to be still enough mounted with the velcro.

I have not noticed any rattling. I don't think there could be any, but it's possible I'm not noticing. Some trim between the bezel and the tablet would definitely help make sure no rattle could ever happen, but I don't feel it's necessary.

Good deal, my thought was that either you leave the bezel "loose" with a minor gap, at which point you'd likely get a rattle, otherwise the sharp edge fit "tight" would likely eventually break the screen from movement+heat+cold. I'll look into some hard rubber trim as well, but I suspect it's not going to work out unless I filled the bezel edge into a larger flat edge.

Only thing that stops me from say this http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/08/05/azehu8e8.jpg

Is not having access to the power, volume or home button. I can get around every one except the home button. Giving a constant power source is easy but what happens if the screen falls asleep? I'm using a galaxy tab3 not a nexus 7.

Is the JDM piece larger than what I already have from my stock 08 LGT nav?

Yup, covered before, but the JDM piece is considerably larger. 205mm wide vs 195mm or so, and taller as the area where the buttons are on the US nav is just open space. If you read back, several people have wired a remote button into the power button, which is probably a good idea. The larger bezel should give access to swiping from the edge as well as the navigation on screen buttons.

Don't have the soldering skills to crack open my tab. As long as I can get at the home button to wake the screen up I'm good. Power I can control to sleep and turn on with rooted apps

The screen should never turn off if you disable the screen timeout in the settings. You can use Tasker and secure settings (or other apps) to wake up on power and sleep on loss of power. I don't have access to my buttons and have not needed them. I do have easy access to the tablet by removing the bezel. I didn't attach the vents to the ducts, so the whole thing just pops off when needed and stays in place the rest of the time.

Thanks to this thread and EquinnoxX for the JDM bezel idea, I've got my install complete. One thing I did find was that if you take the vent extensions with the JDM bezel, flip them around and attach them to the ducts in the dash you can then fit the bezel ducts into them without cutting anything down.

IMG_0628.thumb.jpg.d7d58d9768230f6820de169ccdff6f39.jpg

The screen should never turn off if you disable the screen timeout in the settings. You can use Tasker and secure settings (or other apps) to wake up on power and sleep on loss of power. I don't have access to my buttons and have not needed them. I do have easy access to the tablet by removing the bezel. I didn't attach the vents to the ducts, so the whole thing just pops off when needed and stays in place the rest of the time.

So your ac doesn't work?

• 1 month later...

There is a ground pin (pin5) on the connector, as well as the shield is grounded via the mounting posts. You should connect the shield to the board ground for noise reasons, but it would work either way.

I'm hung up at present because the vendor I ordered receptacles from keeps sending me the wrong ones, despite the diagram being the correct one that I ordered. Every screwed up delivery is like a 2 week round trip, so it's getting quite annoying.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had my Nexus 7 in the car for about 2 years now. Here are some things to note:

Backup Camera

Finally got a working solution. Got a Wifi backup camera off of Amazon (available on eBay too). It creates it's own Wifi hotspot, which you connect to on the Nexus 7 and then using an app from the Google Play store you can view the video feed over the wifi connection.

AutomateIt Integration

Both my phone (Note 3) and Nexus 7 have AutomateIt installed. It works the same as Tasker, I just find the interface easier to use. With AutomateIt, I have the rules set around the power status of the Nexus 7.

When the Nexus 7 receives power (ie: car turns on):

- Turn on the tablet screen

- Turn on wifi and bluetooth

- Start Car Home Ultra (my car dock app)

When my car starts up, I also have a bluetooth device in the car that will power up only when the car is on. Doing this, allows my phone to pair with the bluetooth for handsfree calling, but also, using AutomateIt, when it pairs with the bluetooth my WifiHotspot from my phone turns on, connecting my Nexus 7 to an internet connection.

When the car turns off, AutomateIt:

- Automatically closes Car Home Ultra, and Waze (if it was open)

- Automatically turns off my phone's WifiHotspot

- Automatically turns off wifi, bluetooth, and my Nexus 7's screen

- If music was playing, it stops that as well.

With everything working like this, I don't ever have to touch any buttons, turn anything on, or fiddle with any settings when turning on and off the car. When the car is off, the Nexus 7 is on battery power, and lasts well over 2 weeks because it is not running any apps, the screen is off, and all connections are turned off. Even when it does dip a little low on battery power, it typically charges at about 1% a minute so just a short drive can often get it topped up.

I've had my Nexus 7 in the car for about 2 years now. Here are some things to note:

Backup Camera

Finally got a working solution. Got a Wifi backup camera off of Amazon (available on eBay too). It creates it's own Wifi hotspot, which you connect to on the Nexus 7 and then using an app from the Google Play store you can view the video feed over the wifi connection.

AutomateIt Integration

Both my phone (Note 3) and Nexus 7 have AutomateIt installed. It works the same as Tasker, I just find the interface easier to use. With AutomateIt, I have the rules set around the power status of the Nexus 7.

When my car starts up, I also have a bluetooth device in the car that will power up only when the car is on. Doing this, allows my phone to pair with the bluetooth for handsfree calling, but also, using AutomateIt, when it pairs with the bluetooth my WifiHotspot from my phone turns on, connecting my Nexus 7 to an internet connection.

With everything working like this, I don't ever have to touch any buttons, turn anything on, or fiddle with any settings when turning on and off the car. When the car is off, the Nexus 7 is on battery power, and lasts well over 2 weeks because it is not running any apps, the screen is off, and all connections are turned off. Even when it does dip a little low on battery power, it typically charges at about 1% a minute so just a short drive can often get it topped up.

Cool.

I recommend the dashcam "Blackvue DR550" or "Blackvue DR650" instead. It's dashcam that reecords everything (It has a front and rear camera), and also has a wifi hot spot so you can see the recorded clip and live feed.

It's good for security :)

Have you tried to hook up the steering wheel to the tablet? I have and its recommended! Also connected a USB hub and a FM Radio to it, which works really good. I don't have a Subaru though, but a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Nice work anyway.

It may have been said already but I just wondered how people have managed to charge while using OTG cables? I'm hoping to finish my install next weekend and the only thing stopping me is this 1 problem.

I had a lot of problems with this.. months of research..tried lots of cables etc.

Send an email to: andyzhengster {AT} g{}m[]ail{dot}com

and say you want to buy an OTG Y Cable.

Cost about $15-20 (Deppending on shippment option), but well worth the money.

After that, you need a new kernerl for your Nexus. You can Try T1mur (cost €30 or so?), or Elemental X (Search for it on xda-developers (free), forum).

Backup Camera

AutomateIt Integration

Thanks for the info. So when you back up, does your nexus screen automatically show the rear view?

It may have been said already but I just wondered how people have managed to charge while using OTG cables? I'm hoping to finish my install next weekend and the only thing stopping me is this 1 problem.

I've been using T1mur's kernel and an OTG cable I got from eBay for $10 I believe. The kernel is the trick. I'm also using a 2 amp charger from Amazon that is able to charge the battery even when Waze is running and I am streaming music.

The kernel also has a very low power deep sleep mode that drains the battery VERY slowly when the car is off, so even if you don't use your car for a couple of weeks, you'll still have a usable charge.

Cool.

I recommend the dashcam "Blackvue DR550" or "Blackvue DR650" instead. It's dashcam that reecords everything (It has a front and rear camera), and also has a wifi hot spot so you can see the recorded clip and live feed.

It's good for security :)

Have you tried to hook up the steering wheel to the tablet? I have and its recommended! Also connected a USB hub and a FM Radio to it, which works really good. I don't have a Subaru though, but a Suzuki Grand Vitara.

Nice work anyway.

I looked at those dashcams, and those are definitely the best of the best. However, I didn't like the pricetag so I went with a cheaper option that still has amazing 1080p video, but less features.

Unfortunately, my LGT does not have steering wheel controls, only buttons on my steering wheel are for the 5EAT shifting.

Thanks for the info. So when you back up, does your nexus screen automatically show the rear view?

It does not. At this point, that is the one thing that AutomateIT is failing on. Tasker appears to have a rule that allows you to automatically switch wifi networks (I have two wifi networks in my car, one for the backup camera, the other for the internet from my phone). I looked into options that would allow me to connect an IP camera to my internet hotpsot, but couldn't find a camera that would actually fit as a backup camera.

There is a method of using an OTG cable, and some sort of AV module to plug in the camera, but with my Nexus 7, I would have to root it for that to work. I would say that is the best solution, but I am not too keep on rooting my tablet.

It does not. At this point, that is the one thing that AutomateIT is failing on. Tasker appears to have a rule that allows you to automatically switch wifi networks (I have two wifi networks in my car, one for the backup camera, the other for the internet from my phone). I looked into options that would allow me to connect an IP camera to my internet hotpsot, but couldn't find a camera that would actually fit as a backup camera.

There is a method of using an OTG cable, and some sort of AV module to plug in the camera, but with my Nexus 7, I would have to root it for that to work. I would say that is the best solution, but I am not too keep on rooting my tablet.

Rooting a Nexus device is the easiest thing ever. Are you concerned about security?