LegacyGT.com

Best drives in Vermont?

LNeilB

Hello all, it's been a while. But I wanted to drop by and ask what routes you recommend for day drives in VT. The more slow/twisty the better, I'm not looking for interstate runs.

I bought a new car last weekend and want to put it though it's paces. After working 2 full time jobs for 3 years I am free of 1 of them and finally have time to drive for the fun of it. :)

I've always been fond of Route 100 between Warren and Granville, a/k/a Granville Gap. If you don't mind the dirt roads, Route 58/Hazen's Notch is a good drive as well. Several others up in the Kingdom around Lyndonville, Sheffield, and Burke.

What's the road that goes from bethel into rutland? That is a fun couple miles, as is the middlebury gap through breadloaf campus.

VT 107 to VT 100 to US 4. Middlebury Gap is VT 125.

Actually, all 4 "gaps" are good drives with Appalachian Gap (VT 17 from Bristol to Waitsfield) the best. Need to watch out for the 2-wheeled contingent on that one.

• 2 weeks later...
Route 108 from stowe thru the smugglers notch is an awesome drive watch out a few corners are very sharp and narrow... also a lot of bikes there to.

And usually spectators sitting on the rocks at the tightest point (about 1.25 cars wide) ready to comment on your style. IMO, it's a much more difficult drive from the Stowe side than the Jeffersonville side as that puts the really tight spot uphill with no good visibility.

And yes, the 2-wheel crowd can be obnoxious there. Always need to be on guard for some idiot on a crotch rocket dragging a footpeg and going off right across your line.

The Notch is also the scene of hilarity as some tourist fails to heed the warning signs and tries to squeeze an RV between the rocks. That never ends well.

EDIT: According to 511VT.com, the Notch is now open (closes in winter as there's no way to keep it plowed).

Yes BIG rocks for sure. Used to drive that 2-3 Times a week when I worked in the village... my gt handles it well but my 02 stage 2 wrx I had back in the day tore that ish up!

Archived