LegacyGT.com

Baking open taillights?

I'm sorry if this is easily searchable, but I can't get the search to work on my iPhone:-/ So I'm asking has anyone baked open the taillights on a 4th gen wagon? I'm good at baking headlights now I want that stupid yellow piece out of my taillights. I know they can be swapped for a JDM or 07-08 pair but I'd really rather do it myself:)

Might be the same process but you can't get the yellow out. It's not a yellow piece so much as the actual plastic housing is yellow. Only way to clear it is to buy the '08/09 outback tails.

That's exactly what I was wondering. Thank you:)

I think Doc is right! They appear to be actually fused along the seams rather than sealed with adhesive. I'm sure you could use a hot-knife and cut the seam to re-seal later with glue but that is a much more involved process...

Robitrice that is horrible advice......it is actually harder to use a hair dryer and easier to damage the lights using that method. 230 for 12 minutes and your are golden on headlights.

On to the topic at hand.....you can not bake these tail lights open. They are glued shut with an epoxy. They can be cut open but it is tough. I have cut one open messed around with it and decided it was too much work for the effort.

SubiSpeed86, I have a set for sale if you would like to give it a shot without ruining your stock ones.

[

No this is an Idea I was thinking of trying. Back in my integra days. Specifically 90-93 Integra they had an orange piece in the taillight and it could not be removed. But a little castrol super clean cleared it right up. Granted stuff was simple back then but I'm wondering if you were to take them apart and soak them in Bleach for a few days?

ive done numerous headlights with a hair dryer....cars and motorcycle alike. never had an issue ive read more horror storries about an oven than hair dryer. personal preference however.

OP just trade them or purchase some tails. nothing worse than screwing something up like this and then being stuck.

Archived