LegacyGT.com

mounting custom sub boxes

isaacpeel

I built two custom sub boxes, one on either side of my trunk. Right now they are attached directly to the frame of the car by a single screw. I tried velcro but they just kept falling out. I need to remove the boxes once in a while and am considering mounting them to the frame of the car with strong (really strong) neodymium magnets instead. Would this cause any harm to the speakers or change their sound?

Trust me if you used really strong magnets, enough to hold a powerful sub back, you're going to have a hell of a time releasing it with your bare hands. Plus neodymium magnets are really frail and have a tendency to break unless they're put it some kind of die or have a really decent protective shell. Regarding the flux and how it might affect the speaker, not sure. It might pull the speaker to the side and have it rub the basket and prematurely wear it. Flux dissipates exponentially if memory serves me right, so if you put it far enough away it shouldn't be much of an issue. Or you could try centering it directly behind the speaker.

Your best bet would be some big wing nuts or hand screws.

• 3 weeks later...

i've had good luck with velcro. got the 10' strips that you can get a lowes or home depot and glued/stapled them to the bottom of my box in a square patter with an x in the middle. it sticks like hell and I have to take the carpet out of the trunk to pull the box off it.

on a side note . . haha . . i drilled 2 holes in the trunk floor of my brothers impreza and managed to hit the spot where the vent is for the gas tank. i didn't realize it at the time, but for weeks after the inside of his car would smell like gas. they had a mechanic look at it and it was my dumbass that drilled through the vent . . . so in conclusion, i would advise against mounting L brackets to the floor :)

Archived