LegacyGT.com

So you buy a 3.0 Legacy if you...

Need to hook up a tow-trailer or something?

It makes a great "to the cabin" vehicle?

Obviously, you don't want to tow something with a turbocharged vehicle, so a 6-cylinder Legacy seems like a great towing car.

Considering it gets worse mileage than the 2.5 base Legacy, and doesn't perform at the level of a 2.5 Turbo GT, I can't really pinpoint any other reason for this vehicle's existence.

?

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
UUhhh, you can tow just fine with a turbo. It's for people who want more power than a base 2.5, but don't need the "aggressiveness" or performance tuning of the GT. It delivers torque much lower and much more linear as expected of a NA vehicle. It's got an extra 2 cylinders which contributes to that. It's also less maintenance hungry than a turbo'd vehicle. So even though Subaru doesnt sell many, they make sense. I think the base 2.5i should just be done with, its EXTREMELY down on power, and whats with the 1980s transmisison?

I have it because it performs about the same as a stock 2.5GT and uses 87 octane. The torque curve on my car stock for stock VS a GT is way flatter across the powerband. Also I don't need the turbo as all I drive this car for is work. I don't want to overkill a daily driven car.

Need to hook up a tow-trailer or something?

It makes a great "to the cabin" vehicle?

Obviously, you don't want to tow something with a turbocharged vehicle, so a 6-cylinder Legacy seems like a great towing car.

Considering it gets worse mileage than the 2.5 base Legacy, and doesn't perform at the level of a 2.5 Turbo GT, I can't really pinpoint any other reason for this vehicle's existence.

?

Ever driven one?

1. Better resale value.

2. Can burn regular and generally gets better mpg.

3. More torque at lower rpm and flat torque curve is much better match for 5EAT than a turbo and is easier to drive.

4. Better towing capacity.

5. Much smoother and more refined.

6. Market preference.

I've driven an 05 LGT 5EAT and our 06 3.0R back-to-back and there is precious little difference in performance. The 3.0R is very easy to drive at the limit for a long time as the torque curve is pretty flat.

Subaru Australia sells both the turbo and 3.0R models, including manual and automatic, so you can compare performance there.They even have both the 2.5T SpecB wagon and 3.0R SpecB wagon. The 3.0R is 20KG lighter than the 2.5T and gets worse mileage in their specs, and the 3.0R is $4,000 cheaper.so not sure how the specs line up for their models versus US.

They list 7.0 seconds 0-62 for the 3.0R and 6.7 for the 2.5T. At 60mph that's about two car lengths. Top speed of 233kmh for the 3.0 versus 240 kmh for the 2.5T.

In other words, it's like asking why Subaru makes a Legacy GT when you can buy a WRX.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

Ever driven one?

1. Better resale value.

2. Can burn regular and generally gets better mpg.

3. More torque at lower rpm and flat torque curve is much better match for 5EAT than a turbo and is easier to drive.

4. Better towing capacity.

5. Much smoother and more refined.

6. Market preference.

I've driven an 05 LGT 5EAT and our 06 3.0R back-to-back and there is precious little difference in performance. The 3.0R is very easy to drive at the limit for a long time as the torque curve is pretty flat.

Subaru Australia sells both the turbo and 3.0R models, including manual and automatic, so you can compare performance there.They even have both the 2.5T SpecB wagon and 3.0R SpecB wagon. The 3.0R is 20KG lighter than the 2.5T and gets worse mileage in their specs, and the 3.0R is $4,000 cheaper.so not sure how the specs line up for their models versus US.

They list 7.0 seconds 0-62 for the 3.0R and 6.7 for the 2.5T. At 60mph that's about two car lengths. Top speed of 233kmh for the 3.0 versus 240 kmh for the 2.5T.

In other words, it's like asking why Subaru makes a Legacy GT when you can buy a WRX.

Mmhmm I used to drive an Infiniti with the 3.5VQ in it, and the flat torque curve of a 6+ cylinder NA engine is phenomenal for daily cruising. After owning two 4cylinder turbo'd vehicles after that I have my reasons for liking/disliking both. For Joe Blow who wants a smooth, comfortable, reliable daily driver which he doesn't plant to mod, the 3.0R would be the way to go.

I have it because it performs about the same as a stock 2.5GT and uses 87 octane. The torque curve on my car stock for stock VS a GT is way flatter across the powerband. Also I don't need the turbo as all I drive this car for is work. I don't want to overkill a daily driven car.

Sorry, but the 3.0R feels like a dog compared to the GT/MT. I know, I bought an 08 3.0R and traded it for my SpecB. I had an 05 GT/MT before that.

I was happy with it for a while, but that flat torque curve is what makes it ho-hum to drive.

If it had a MT I bet it would be a different animal.

My buddy has an 08 Tundra ext cab with the V8. I pulled up behind him with the 3.0R and we both floored it. We were pretty even and he might even have been pulling slightly away.

That was discouraging.

They're nice, smooth, comfortable cars but totally different from a 2.5GT.

Sorry, but the 3.0R feels like a dog compared to the GT/MT. I know, I bought an 08 3.0R and traded it for my SpecB. I had an 05 GT/MT before that.

I was happy with it for a while, but that flat torque curve is what makes it ho-hum to drive.

My buddy has an 08 Tundra ext cab with the V8. I pulled up behind him with the 3.0R and we both floored it. We were pretty even and he might even have been pulling slightly away.

That was discouraging.

Haha uhhh ya! Especially if it was the 5.3 420hp V8. They freaking haul to 60 in about 6.4. Easily quicker with basic bolt ons. I almost bought one instead of the Spec.B. They're real nice trucks.

That was discouraging.

This argument will never be settled cause people like you like to bring up the 5spd. This isn't a comparison between that. Let's compare stock for stock autos because thats what the 3.0R has.

the 6 cyl NA boxer engine is pretty awesome i think, the torque curve is deliciously smooth. it makes for a very comfortable ride, but i guess it's not quite as fun as a 2.5GT in some regards and has almost no modding potential but if you're interested in buying a car and using it straight out of the box with no frills then it's the way to go i think.

This argument will never be settled cause people like you like to bring up the 5spd. This isn't a comparison between that. Let's compare stock for stock autos because thats what the 3.0R has.

Thats pretty lame. My LGT is a 5MT.

Two things I have learned from this post so far.

1)Its okay now to tow with a turbocharged vehicle. (Intercoolers are better, maybe? I remember in the 80's this was a definite no no).

2)The 3.0 has better resale. THAT I can believe. The general public are typically afraid of turbo cars.

The lack of a manual option for the 3.0 is quite disturbing. It seems like a very nice car, but not a driving enthusiast's car.

Sorry, but the GT 5EAT feels like a dog compared to the WRX. I know, I was happy with it for a while, but that extra weight and length is what makes it ho-hum to drive.

My buddy has an 08 SpecB. He pulled up behind me with the WRX and we both floored it. He was very discouraged: in fact, shocked. Both cars are stock.

They're nice, smooth, comfortable cars but totally different from a WRX.

Fixed

Who Dares Wins

スバル

What's some matter? Somebody get their feelings hurt with facts? When did we start referring to WRX's?
I was making the point that 0-60 acceleration is not the sole purchase criterion for many buyers. If it was, perhaps they'd be best served buying a pickup truck with a big V8 like the rest of the knuckle-draggers.

The Subaru Legacy chassis is a much better road car: and the 3.0 H6 fits that character very well. And that's why people buy them.

I do wish they'd sell the 3.0R SpecB wagon in the US, but fat chance.

Who Dares Wins

スバル

A more complete answer after more miles and time, but I can give a couple of reasons why I now have a Legacy 3.0R Limited instead of my LGT.

When I got the LGT I was thrilled, it was everything and more I'd imagined. But it wanted to hunt..... seemingly on its own. It hunted limits, both in power and handling. It hunted other cars to test itself against. Hunting for another piece of horsepower and hunting for another level of handling became an obsession that found outlet on autocross courses, and The Tail of the Dragon, for example. Most of all, the car hunted out the corners of wallets and checkbooks, and found them.

Eventually I had what I considered my own version of the best LGT, well over 400chp, cat-like handling reflexes, and excellent daily manners. But I had to watch out for ground clearances and could no longer go where I could once go. My wife no longer wanted to drive it, not a bad thing, but a not always unspoken critique of our differences. Most of all, despite a $15k+ list of 'improvements,' it was getting older and only a fool could not see that the future was going to require even more $$$, out of necessity, sooner than later. Worse, these so-called 'improvements' actually worked to devalue the investment equity. It was a wonderful experience, but with zero practical value.

I had become, almost sadly, bored. Enough was now too much. There was nothing more I wanted to do. It had become a maintenance exercise. Watching out for the law was a full time job. My close call list got longer. Time to move on.

From the first time I saw the Legacy 3.0R at our major Auto Show I knew I could like the car. Why not? It was a car with a more refined interior, better stock suspension, and a modern version of a motor I'd always liked. It was an extension of how the LegacyGT was viewed when it first debuted; a car for those who had grown past the immaturity of the WRX. To me it is a car for those who love a Subaru Legacy, but have grown beyond the immaturity of hunting for superfluous horsepower.

Improving the power and handleing of a car has nothing to do with the word immature. Are some racers little immature kids? Yes. Are some well off older men and women with houses and garages full of high hp modded cars? Yes. Your body will feel old enough soon enough on its own

From the first time I saw the Legacy 3.0R at our major Auto Show I knew I could like the car. Why not? It was a car with a more refined interior, better stock suspension, and a modern version of a motor I'd always liked.

What are the interior differences between the 3.0R and the GT? I've driven both and I didn't notice anything obvious.

A more complete answer after more miles and time, but I can give a couple of reasons why I now have a Legacy 3.0R Limited instead of my LGT.

When I got the LGT I was thrilled, it was everything and more I'd imagined. But it wanted to hunt..... seemingly on its own. It hunted limits, both in power and handling. It hunted other cars to test itself against. Hunting for another piece of horsepower and hunting for another level of handling became an obsession that found outlet on autocross courses, and The Tail of the Dragon, for example. Most of all, the car hunted out the corners of wallets and checkbooks, and found them.

Eventually I had what I considered my own version of the best LGT, well over 400chp, cat-like handling reflexes, and excellent daily manners. But I had to watch out for ground clearances and could no longer go where I could once go. My wife no longer wanted to drive it, not a bad thing, but a not always unspoken critique of our differences. Most of all, despite a $15k+ list of 'improvements,' it was getting older and only a fool could not see that the future was going to require even more $$$, out of necessity, sooner than later. Worse, these so-called 'improvements' actually worked to devalue the investment equity. It was a wonderful experience, but with zero practical value.

I had become, almost sadly, bored. Enough was now too much. There was nothing more I wanted to do. It had become a maintenance exercise. Watching out for the law was a full time job. My close call list got longer. Time to move on.

From the first time I saw the Legacy 3.0R at our major Auto Show I knew I could like the car. Why not? It was a car with a more refined interior, better stock suspension, and a modern version of a motor I'd always liked. It was an extension of how the LegacyGT was viewed when it first debuted; a car for those who had grown past the immaturity of the WRX. To me it is a car for those who love a Subaru Legacy, but have grown beyond the immaturity of hunting for superfluous horsepower.

I'd say immature is the wrong adjective to use there.

//From the first time I saw the Legacy 3.0R at our major Auto Show I knew I could like the car. Why not? It was a car with a more refined interior, better stock suspension, and a modern version of a motor I'd always liked. It was an extension of how the LegacyGT was viewed when it first debuted; a car for those who had grown past the immaturity of the WRX. To me it is a car for those who love a Subaru Legacy, but have grown beyond the immaturity of hunting for superfluous horsepower.
Sure would be nice if we got the 3.0R Spec.B wagon, though!

Who Dares Wins

スバル

As an owner of a 3.0R specB (no jealousy, please), I like the fact that the performance is very comparable to the GT, and is easier to maintain. Over here, the GT is the 2.0L, and has about 13 more HP (260 PS vs. 245 PS for mine), but I have better torque. Now, with a 6MT, the GT puts down about 280 PS (276HP), and the 3.0 is listed at the same 245PS, so I wonder if Subaru tunes it down? I digress.

I think Subaru would see a specB version of the 3.0R as an intrusion on the GT sales. Now, over here, you can get the 3.0 specB with a 6MT. I tried real hard, but there was a serious premium for that one (I think about $3500). It was just beyond the price I considered reasonable.

to each their own.

i've been in a 3.0. feels almost exactly like a GT when stock, except for the powerband.

so if that's what you want, then you've picked the right car.

i dont care if modding my car to where i want it is immature... the dude driving the exige at the track probably thought worse things as i passed him everytime i saw him.

car for sale. PM me!

Archived