LegacyGT.com

2013 Legacy doesn't auto shift to 6th gear

Hello,

Has anyone else had a problem with their Legacy 2.5 4 cylinder not shifting to 6th gear when driving in auto shift mode? It seems when I'm cruising at speeds around 60 to 80 mph on the freeway, the car is revving up pretty high like it can't get to the final 6th gear. When I put it in manual drive, I can paddle shift it to 6th gear and at freeway speeds it doesn't sound like it's revving high anymore.

Is it supposed to behave this way where auto drive top gear is 5th, but manual is 6th?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

Emil

Thanks for the response. So I've noticed that it's behaving this way even after cruising for hour or more on the freeway. This past weekend I was traveling from Visalia to Los Angeles on I5 and on long stretches where I can hit 80 mph, I'm hearing it rev up. I punch the gas more, increasing the speed, but it doesn't shift - RPMs just get higher. I switch it to manual drive and the gear on the dash says 5, then I paddle shift up to 6.

Should I take it in for service? If so, should I tell them anything aside from what I'm describing? I'm a first time Subaru owner, and generally love the car, and really appreciate this owner community. Just want to make sure I'm not making a big deal out of something that is considered normal behavior.

Archived