LegacyGT.com

few questions - 05 gt ltd. automatic

I had my 05GT ltd. in for the brake pipe corrosion recall today. While I was there I was told that my car does NOT have a spin on type automatic transmission filter. Is that true?

I was also told the fluid is dirty and needs a change. I'm skeptical since I had a mechanic friend do that job for me about 10,000 miles ago.

I want to check the fluid myself. Is it true that you need to have the vehicle running when you check the level?

Thanks

Look behind the battery in a cubbyhole in the fender for a spin on AT filter. Follow your AT cooler lines down the frame rail and then they should turn up and go under the battery to a spin on filter housing behind the battery and then back down to the cooler.

You need to have the car warm and idling in park in order to correctly check the AT fluid.

Much appreciated. Confirmed there is a filter in there - found it at the location you described. I took a photo of the fluid on the dipstick. It doesn't smell real bad to me but I've been told it looks like it could use a change. I'm surprised in only 10,000 miles give or take it would need a change again.

http://i.imgur.com/sWtNa72.jpg

Sure looks red to me. Does it smell burnt? Have someone else you trust smell it too. Compare the smell to some new fluid in a bottle.

Look for any metal flecks in the oil in the light by putting a couple of drops on a piece of clear glass and holding up to the light.

Yeah you can still see the reddish tinge to it with perhaps a bit of brown just starting to creep in there. So starting to show a bit of wear.

As far as smell goes it has an odor but it doesn't smell burnt to me.

I've got some eyeglasses so I will put a couple drops on there and see if I can find any particles. Will also put a little in between my fingers and do a feel test for it. If it passes all of that then I'm going to just forget about it for now and have it flushed in a year or two.

If your mechanic friend replaced about 3 quarts, then he drained the pan and topped it up. If your fluid was brownish before, it will be a bit less so now.

If he replaced about 10 quarts, then he did a complete flush and your fluid should still be almost cherry red unless there is some other problem.

In either case if it doesn't smell burnt, and there aren't any particles, then there likely isn't a problem.

The service writer didn't know about the spin-on. I think he was going off a book and had the wrong vehicle, perhaps the 2.5i. I tried to tell him but he wouldn't have it. Same thing with the fluid being dirty. I think he was going off the service manual and the fact their records didn't have anything in there for the car.

Regardless I think it's OK for now and will just check it again in a year or two and maybe have a full flush done next time.

• Moderators

They might not know about the spin-on 5eat filter because it's a non-serviceable filter. You *CAN* change it but according to maintenance needs it's not necessary unless it's physically damaged.

Depending on mileage, the best thing for you to do is pick up about 12 qts of Subaru ATF and do an engine-powered flush. Drain the pan, refill it, unplug a transmission line, and start the car. Let the car pump out about a quart at a time, turn the car off, add a quart, and repeat. Shift through the gears at some point to help the torque converter flush itself. When you see bright red fluid pouring out of the line you unplugged your done and you'll have replaced nearly 100% of the fluid without adding any unnecessary pressure to the system.

If you have high mileage and are unsure of the maintenance history of the ATF, replacing all the fluid all at once may not be advisable--just continue with regular drains/fills every 10-15k miles or so.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• Moderators
Yeah, look at the connections on the driver's side of the radiator. There's a couple of hard lines that are vertical and have rubber hoses attached. Unplug one of those. Depending on which one you choose, fluid will either flow out of the hard line or out of the hose.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Archived