LegacyGT.com

Subaru Meets: Future WRX? CVT?

SubieDriver

http://wot.motortrend.com/we-hear-subaru-meets-to-talk-about-future-wrx-including-cvts-174265.html

We Hear: Subaru Meets to Talk About Future WRX, Including CVTs?

Written by: Ben Timmins [G+] on February 29 2012 8:15 AM

Subaru’s WRX is one of the only games left in town if you’re looking for a rally-inspired high-performance car. The company is reportedly meeting this week to discuss the car’s future and wondering just how sophisticated or efficient the model should be.

GoAuto reports the news came from Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior, who said he was boarding a plane for Japan this week to provide his input as Subaru imagines the next high-performance car.

We’re careful not to say “high-performance Impreza” because, as we’ve previously reported, Subaru is distancing the WRX, STI, and the XV Crossover models from the Impreza.

Instead, Subaru is reportedly toying with making the WRX and STI a bit more European–removing some of the boy-racer character from the rally-inspired cars in favor of a more refined sport-sedan mentality. Senior said Subaru is looking to BMW’s M and Mercedes-Benz’s AMG divisions for inspiration, which should excite fans of fast, livable sports cars.

As for what the next WRX would have underhood, Senior told GoAuto that the 2.0-liter boxer four-cylinder in the new Impreza is certainly able to be turbocharged, which would mean power figures greatly exceeding the adequate 148 horsepower and 145 pound-feet the base Impreza makes. In comparison, the current-model-year WRX makes 265 horsepower, and the STI makes 305.

This is where things begin to get strange: Senior also said that the base Impreza could donate something else to a WRX, its Lineartronic continuously variable transmission. While there’s certainly no confirmation that this will happen, the WRX and STI’s manic fans usually don’t love CVTs.

We have also heard the turbocharged engine could also be downsized to as small as 1.6 liters, and possibly employ an electrically-assisted turbocharger.

In any case, we should expect to see the end product of this week’s meetings and labor in roughly 18 months. Let’s hope it’s worth the wait.

Source: GoAuto

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
whats so difficult about building a decently fuel efficient 2.0 turbo direct injection engine with 260+ hp, awd and the other fun stuff. Crap a Cobalt SS get 260+ hp and can get 30+mpg. Come on Subaru catch up to the times.....

I agree LGTforME. I loved driving my LGT, but due to the mechanical issues and mpg, I had to move away from Subaru...for now. Turbo and AWD is a winning combination. Although the Kia Optima SX Turbo (2.0L) and Sonata Turbo don't offer AWD, they do offer a lot of stock hp and tq and take 87 octane AND get 30+ mpg. Offer an AWD version of either one, and Subaru would be in trouble...IMO. Hyundai is already discussing the option of an AWD 2.0T Genesis.

They need to hit a home run with the next gen wrx/sti.

Hmmm. I have a 30+ mpg Subaru with more than 350 crank horsepower. Something not right with people wishing for Subaru to catch up with times.

30+ mpg... Maybe down hill :lol:

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong on this, that Direct injection is not unlike the direct injection in the diesels. Which means to me that when it breaks it will cost 1800 plus to replace the injection pump... This scares me. I like cheap easy replacement parts.

It's my understanding, and I may be wrong on this, that Direct injection is not unlike the direct injection in the diesels. Which means to me that when it breaks it will cost 1800 plus to replace the injection pump... This scares me. I like cheap easy replacement parts.

At the moment yes, where most DI parts are few and far between. But as the popularity goes up, the price will drop significantly.

Turbo engine with a cvt....hmmmm. How cool would a turbo continuously running at the peak rpm be? I'm starting to think that would be an freaking cool combination if the cvt could handle the power. Just one steady whistle all the way to top speed. That would be fantastic!

Turbo engine with a cvt....hmmmm. How cool would a turbo continuously running at the peak rpm be? I'm starting to think that would be an freaking cool combination if the cvt could handle the power. Just one steady whistle all the way to top speed. That would be fantastic!

You out now! CVT's suck i'd rather see a 5/6 speed Manual or a DSG type of gearbox/direct engagement shift.They better offer a manual as standard for the next gen WRX. I guarantee if they put a CVT in the next gen WRX it's all over. They wont ruin their main halo car because if they do they'll lose a lot of enthusiasts and purists. What i want to see for the next gen WRX is 270HP FA20 Turbo with direct injection and a 5/6 speed rod actuated shifter a mechanical e brake like the current car has and a 4/5 door wagon/hatchback and sedan.

You out now! CVT's suck i'd rather see a 5/6 speed Manual or a DSG type of gearbox/direct engagement shift.They better offer a manual as standard for the next gen WRX. I guarantee if they put a CVT in the next gen WRX it's all over. They wont ruin their main halo car because if they do they'll lose a lot of enthusiasts and purists. What i want to see for the next gen WRX is 270HP FA20 Turbo with direct injection and a 5/6 speed rod actuated shifter a mechanical e brake like the current car has and a 4/5 door wagon/hatchback and sedan.

It would be cool if they offered both. Most drivers love manuals.

CVTs don't suck. They're better and more efficient than geared automatics. Subaru CVTs are better than the competition's CVTs. I've driven both the Legacy CVT and Impreza CVT - they are both good (better than Nissan's). Yes, they take a little mental adjustment to their behavior, but they're so much smoother than a standard auto - no shifting, no gaps in power delivery.

A DSG or manual might be better than a CVT for some purposes, but a well-managed CVT will outperform them all.

I can imagine them giving us the option of either the lightweight compact 6spd from the current LGT or a CVT behind a turbo FA20. Expect the manual to be cable shift though. Everyone will have something to gripe about.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

CVTs don't suck. They're better and more efficient than geared automatics. Subaru CVTs are better than the competition's CVTs. I've driven both the Legacy CVT and Impreza CVT - they are both good (better than Nissan's). Yes, they take a little mental adjustment to their behavior, but they're so much smoother than a standard auto - no shifting, no gaps in power delivery.

A DSG or manual might be better than a CVT for some purposes, but a well-managed CVT will outperform them all.

Are you serious? CVT's are the worst transmission ever known and to be created. The rubber band effect,and boring drone just sucks. My mom had a Murano with the CVT,it wasn't bad but,god damn that CVT just sucks theres no power delivery either and it completely saps it. CVT's aren't reliable either just look at Nissans CVTs for example. The WRX should always remain Manual and or offer a 6/7 speed DSG. If someone wants a CVT go buy a new Impreza or Legacy with the CVT. CVT's are crap and don't belong in performance cars. Just look at the Nissan maxima for a prime example it's supposedly sporty but it's fwd and is only offered in a cvt not fun at all.

Archived