LegacyGT.com

Koni Shock/Strut & Epic Engineering Spring Install

• I Donated
Cool thanks, that's what I figured. I can use a jack, or my Rhino ramps etc to hold the knuckle. Kind of OT, but how much of a bitch is a rear wheel bearing to replace? Might do that at the same time.

rent a slide hammer and the correct attacher for 5x100, and it's cake.

http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/diy-4th-gen-legacy-rear-14125.html

http://www.scoobymods.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=9624&d=1343099512

Edited by bucko3the7man

Rear wheel bearing isn't bad at all. You might need some penetrating oil. I just used a hammer and some spare bolts to get the old one out when it was rusted up.

Have a wire brush on hand to clean the area before installing the new one.

Do pay attention to the ABS sensor. It has a habit of getting into places it shouldn't.

• 1 month later...

You can still access some of the images through a google search, I used "legacygt.com koni strut epic engineering install", and then click images for a google image search. Here's some random images I downloaded, that I remember being posted by FBP.

*In hindsight these images probably don't help wesley, but it doesn't hurt to post them anyways.

img8947s.thumb.jpg.fd4bd4d82e50f60653e701acf56c06a4.jpg

img8916s.thumb.jpg.8c455c93d3643b14bbaa0b933f2840f3.jpg

img8937s.thumb.jpg.15880aeb05f246e0744aba2f0a691804.jpg

You can still access some of the images through a google search, I used "legacygt.com koni strut epic engineering install", and then click images for a google image search. Here's some random images I downloaded, that I remember being posted by FBP.

*In hindsight these images probably don't help wesley, but it doesn't hurt to post them anyways.

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thank you

For reference, you won't need a new conical washer or dust boot. The bump stop is likely fine, but you might as well replace it. Do get a new Subaru OEM top hat and spring perch for the fronts and the new top hat/mount for the rear (KYB from TireRack is fine). Do not buy anything else from TireRack. Their KYB dust boots don't fit and they won't accept a return for full price.

So, my Koni's adjustment range only reaches 1.25 turns max from full soft, on all 4 shocks. Well, one is roughly 1.2 turns but that's close enough.

I'm going to give Koni a ring and ask about it, but has anyone experienced the same adjustment limit? I've Lord in 50+ miles already since installation.

So, my Koni's adjustment range only reaches 1.25 turns max from full soft, on all 4 shocks. Well, one is roughly 1.2 turns but that's close enough.

I'm going to give Koni a ring and ask about it, but has anyone experienced the same adjustment limit? I've Lord in 50+ miles already since installation.

Update: Called koni and they verified that the valving for my kit is indeed 1 1/4 turns. They said that there was a manufacturing change that happened on the 16th week of last year for my specific application. The tech also verified it by hand, we'll just give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually did this, as he took the same model shocks off their shelf and he can only turn it 1.25 to 1.5 max.

Anyway, i hope this clarifies things for those who are planning on buying a set.

Right now i have everything at 1 turn and i'm liking it :) The rattles in my dash however, do not. :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
I also created a PDF of Rick's walk-through if anyone wants it, it's too large to host here, just PM me and I'll send it to you.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Question, would this work on and outback xt and still retain my original height?

I found these Koni Struts and have a spare set of blown outback struts. Would love to upgrade the feel of the suspension without sacrificing the height I have over a LGT. Thanks

Nope, won't work and retain your ride height. The Outback struts are about 2" too long for the Konis.

Nope, won't work and retain your ride height. The Outback struts are about 2" too long for the Konis.

:( is there an alternative to improve suspension feel but retain ride height? Heard king springs is an option, but nothing about struts.

:( is there an alternative to improve suspension feel but retain ride height? Heard king springs is an option, but nothing about struts.

It is a wagon intended for carrying kids, groceries and/or "tree huggers" (as they are affectionately referred to locally). The car was not designed or marketed for performance. Hence, no aftermarket performance support.

There is no upgrade performance strut for the OBXT that retains factory ride height that I know of.

There are lift kits available. The KYB GR2 struts will be approx 10% stiffer than the OEM KYB.

It is a wagon intended for carrying kids, groceries and/or "tree huggers" (as they are affectionately referred to locally). The car was not designed or marketed for performance. Hence, no aftermarket performance support.

There is no upgrade performance strut for the OBXT that retains factory ride height that I know of.

There are lift kits available. The KYB GR2 struts will be approx 10% stiffer than the OEM KYB.

Hey left out the most important demographic; lesbians :lol:

I guess I'll just keep it stock height, until I get a second car and figure out if I want to go get it lifted or go LGT height with Konis or Blistiens. If I went the Koni route, could I use my OBXT struts and cut them to fit Koni's or would I need to find a set of LGT ones?