LegacyGT.com

How to gut a pipe?

bman

I see in here and the marketplace people selling OEM & gutted uppipes and downpipes. How does one gut one of these pipes? Is one pipe easier to gut than the other? What do you do with the cat innards when you're done?

Thanks,

Brian

I gutted my stock uppipe. It really wasn't that hard and didn't take to long either. At first it seemed like it would take forever but it quickly fell apart and was out. Make sure you polish the inside clean as can be with a wire brush.

Tools needed once upipe is out of the car.

Drill

bit extension

bits

wire brush

hammer

long flat head screw driver

Just make sure its completely out.

Also search the site for walkthroughs they are on here.

Don't gut an uppipe. It's not worth it. Trust me. Try spending 10 hours gutting a pipe, only, while "polishing" it, you accidently drill a hole in the side, voiding all your work. There was some dumb guy on here that did that. Poor sucker! haha!

Just buy a STI uppipe new for $200.

Downpipes, on the other hand, are cake. Just start hammering.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

• 2 years later...

Folks wouldn't do it if there weren't!

Then again. No real gains unless you're getting some sort of engine management (open source, COBB AccessPort, or ...). Many folks have gutted the first cat in the DP to go stage 2. It's generally considered a good idea get a catless UP or gut it too.

The UP is harder because it's a different material in the cat (much harder since it sees higher EGT's), hence the drilling that is needed. You need to clean it out real good so there aren't any leftovers to mangle your turbo.

I believe there are walkthroughs for both in the "Walkthrough" threads.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 weeks later...
gutting the stock dp is dumb, IMO. The diameter of the pipe and the flat plate flange- essentially blocking the wastegate from EASILY venting- just does not justify the time and aggravation, it's still a massive bottleneck.

• 1 month later...
Don't gut an uppipe. It's not worth it. Trust me. Try spending 10 hours gutting a pipe, only, while "polishing" it, you accidently drill a hole in the side, voiding all your work. There was some dumb guy on here that did that. Poor sucker! haha!

Just buy a STI uppipe new for $200.

Downpipes, on the other hand, are cake. Just start hammering.

which STi model? do you guys have a part number for this? thanks.

doing this on saturday........making two straightedge scratches in the middle of the pipe, cutting it in half, then dumping and cleaning before welding it back together..........i'll post up how it goes..........

• 4 months later...
  • Moderators
What year sti Up pipe would fit an 06 legacy?

02+.

Seriously people, you are going through extra effort for nothing. Put a WTB thread on nasioc for a used STI UP and people will flock. I had one in great shape for $45 shipped within a day.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

• 1 month later...
  • I Donated Too
02+.

Seriously people, you are going through extra effort for nothing. Put a WTB thread on nasioc for a used STI UP and people will flock. I had one in great shape for $45 shipped within a day.

this.^