LegacyGT.com

STi short throw shifter for 07 Spec.B 6MT

ERLoft

So, I picked up one of these on the 2nd and installed it on the 3rd. Just a quick write up on the installation and the shifter itself.

1) Installation notes

Well, the shifter comes with no instructions. Not a big surprise, as it's really more thought of as something put in at the dealership. If you've got manuals, you'll find all you need to guide you through.

First you've got to remove your console box. (Oh, and the parking brake cover, which just pulls up) Pretty easy, except you can't see the popit connector at the front left of the console box. Once you remove the two screws in the storage box, sit in the passenger's seat and pull up firmly on the passenger's side of the console box right at the front of it. The popit will come off and then you can slide the console box to the right to get the last connector off.

Remove the shift knob and the shifter trim. Remove the insulation, then the four bolts for the plate. Don't miss the two phillips screws at the back of the plate! Now you need to get under the car.

Remove the front midpipe. I tried to do this without removing the exhaust and realized that it just had to come out. Don't miss the fact that the front midpipe has a bracke that it hangs on, so even once the bolt is out, you'll still need to lift it and get it off the hanger to remove it. You'll also need to unplug the O2 sensor so you can get the pipe out of your way. Remove the heat shield, then remove the transmission support. I tried to get away without doing this too, but it's an easy removal, and you need to remove it to get the shifter linkage bolt out. If it's not removed, you can 't move the tranny far enough to the side to get the bolt out.

Once everything's out of the way, remove the snap pin that secures the reverse cable. Put it and the washer off to the side. Remove the bolt for the shift linkage. Now for the fun part. For whatever reason, the COMPL bolt that's part of the shift linkage has a standard nut on the bottom. On the top, where you can't see it, it's not standard at all. It's essentially a very thin, flat top, rounded bolt top that has only one way to get an open end wrench on it and hold it so you can undo the nut on the other side. Save yourself some trouble and get your vice grips at this point to hold it steady while you undo the nut. After this, simply remove the two bolts holding the rear shifter stay bushing and drop the shifter out the bottom of the car.

The installation is quite simply the reverse of the removal. Nothing tricky here. Assuming you've properly laid out the parts you removed, you shouldn't have too much trouble with the installation! :icon_cool

Overall, I'd give the installation a 6/10 (1 being easiest, 10 hardest). Having the right tools for the job really help! If you've got them, the correct manual and a bit of ability, it'd be a pretty easy job. I'd think twice if I didn't have experience with installs, the right manuals or was trying to do it without a good set of tools.

2) Shifter impressions:

Well, while I had both shifters out of the car, I put them side by side. They're exactly the same in their height and such. I didn't quite know what to expect, given how they looked next to each other. I wondered if I had gotten the wrong item, so I checked the box. Sure enough it said it was a short shifter. I wasn't quite convinced, but WTF, might as well install it and find out.

It really is a short shifter! How about that. Even though I know it's the same height, it seems a touch shorter in the car. The shifts themselvese are quite a bit shorter. 1st-3rd-5th are all just barely past vertical, and 2nd-4th-6th aren't nearly so far back. I don't know if the feel varies shifter to shifter, but where my stock shifter was almost too smooth - hard to tell what gear I was going into, especially on the 6th to 3rd downshift - the short shifter is a bit notchy. Mine is pretty smooth from1st through 3rd, but 4th, 5th & 6th are a bit more notchy. It defintely helps to tell you what gear you're grabbing before you're letting out the clutch! I personally like the feel better - more positive, more solid - as opposed to the stock setup. However, I'm sure not everyone will like it. It also makes for quicker shifts for sure.

All in all, I'm happy with it. They're not cheap, but it is a factory piece and includes the entire linkage, unlike 90% of aftermarket short shifters, that are simply a shorter shift lever. Plus, there aren't any aftermarket shifters for the Spec.B 6MT yet in any case.

Overall, I'd give the part an 8/10. It'd get a bit better from me if it was a touch more consistent between the different gears. I don't mind the notchyness, but it'd be nice if it was the same regardless of which gear.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I did this to my car about four months ago. Great mod. Love it. Now when I drive my wife's 325 Ci, the throws on that seem extremely long.

Now if we could only get an AP that works with SI drive...

ERLoft, did you purchase PN C1010AG100 (the 07 Spec.B specific one), or the regular STI one?

The Spec.B specific one. :)

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Renick Subaru... although Reza @ Santa Moncia Subaru can also get them for you! :)

And yes, either the notchyness is subsiding or I'm getting really used to it....

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Mine is on the way, can wait !! the dealer will install it. They charge 1/2 hour.

That's cheap on the labor. I'd guess that even an experienced tech will take an hour to do the job, not counting the obligatory car wash afterwards!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Went to Rallitek this morning to get my new short-throw shifter installed.

The pros at Rallitek made it look easy (as always - thanks Dave!). The result: Awesome.

As ERloft mentioned, the two shifters side-by-side look pretty much identical. Never fear, however, the STI shifter is crisp, direct and short. It offers very positive feedback and a much better shifting feel than the stock shifter. It offers more of a European feel, ala Audi or BMW. But shorter. Like other Subaru short shifters, it is not uber-short. Just 30% or so shorter than the stocker. But the feel is so much improved that it is worth it for that alone.

Rallitek had to remove the exhaust heatshield above the mid-pipe/downpipe area, and also removed the tranny cross-member for better access. The rest seemed pretty straightforward.

All in all, a nice upgrade. Highly recommended for any '07 Spec.B driver. :)

Yep, there's only one STS choice for the Spec.B AFAIK for the Spec.B. Fortunately, it's good. Unfortuantely, it ain't cheap.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I thought the spec B's came with the sti short throw. I know my 06 did. I assume it is the same sti short throw that can be added to the regular 5mt.

I guess what I am saying/asking is their is no STI short throw shifter made for the 06 spec B's right?

TIA,

Anthony

I E-Mailed Kartboy showing interest into buying a STS for the Spec B, They replied with this:

Hi

at the moment we do not have a shifter for the Spec B

the bushings will work on all the 6 speeds

we are working on a solution for the leggys

tom

Archived