LegacyGT.com

What bushings to replace...

mschmidt

Going to have my car on a lift to go from MR coilovers and back to my stock struts with epic springs... pushing 90K. Stock sways. What else should I replace while I have access.

Ball joint?

Control arm bushings?

Sway bar bushing?

Tie rod ends?

Trailing arm bushings?

Stock struts are practically new so the rear bushings should be good.

I'm not a suspension guru so be nice...

Mike

I just had Whiteline LCA bushings (anti-dive kit and front bushings) installed, along with Whiteline steering rack bushings, and a Group N trans mount/bushings.

Since I had them done all at once, I can't say which would give you the most bang for the buck, but these mods definitely tightened things up. Steering response is much improved, and the car feels a lot more stable overall.

The trans mount upgrade is absolutely recommended. Since I went stage 2, I felt like the motor/trans were just flopping around in the engine bay on starts, shifts, and throttle lifts, but now it's all good!

I have a question somewhat related to the topic, since it seems like I have to replace my LCA bushings too.

On the lower control arm, there are two bushings and a ball joint, which one of the two bushings is called the front or the rear, or is there a different name for both?

Thanks!

They're named according to whether they're more toward the front or rear of the car.

The rear bushing is sometimes referred to as the tennis ball and mounts to the frame with a vertical bolt.

The front bushing mounts with a horizontal bolt and nut.

Both bushings need to be pressed out, but only the rear needs a press to insert (unless OEM, then both do). Replacement fronts can be squeezed in by hand with the sleeve tapped in by hammer or squeezed in a bench vise.

There is no reason to replace the ball joint unless it's toast or you're installing a roll center kit (special ball joints and tie rod ends). Look for Sniper's Ball Tugger if you are replacing it. Seriously. Turnin Concepts sells them and there's a thread on nasioc about it.

Consider trans mount bushing and rear diff inserts. I can't comment on the rest.

• 3 weeks later...
I just had Whiteline LCA bushings (anti-dive kit and front bushings) installed, along with Whiteline steering rack bushings... Steering response is much improved, and the car feels a lot more stable overall.

+1 - If you're going to do the front LCA bushings, if you wanted to replace the other bushings this is the best time to do so. The front bushings didn't add much to the cost since the arms are already out, and the steering rack took less than an additional hour. That way one alignment covers it all.

As for bang-for-the-buck out of this list, the front LCA are by far #1 in my book. The steering rack is noticeable but not a huge change, and I didn't notice much difference with the front bushings.

If I did it again and had limited $$$ (who doesn't), I'd save the money from the front bushings & rack and spend it on adjustable rear camber (significant improvement in handling).

Just my $0.02...

Kyle "BlackHole"

Archived