LegacyGT.com

lowering springs recommendations/suggestions please

teducci

Currently I have OEM struts with H-Tein spring and planning to replace them in the spring. I've recently bought Koni yellow and looking forward to swapping it out. My question is, should I replace the spring with Koni/Epic or just stay with Koni/H-tein?

I like the ride(H-tein) but I don't like the saggy butt look. And I also don't want to spend more money. OR I could see the H-tein and buy the epic? What do everyone think?

I'm on h-techs koni's and I'm fairly happy with it. Though I'd really like some RCE Tarmacs.. lol

You could always purchase some saggy butt spacers.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

KYB gr2 struts with H&R springs, and 1/2 spacers in the back of my 96 wagon...

Outback 20/18mm sway bars with Withline endlink bushings front and rear, whiteline bushings upfront, and energy suspension4-5176R 18mm bushings off a ford contour in the back.

Handling is ( . ) ( . )'s....

96 wagon

I have H&R's on KYB'S also on my 05 gt wagon. I'd recommend the koni route like pretty much everyone else, but I did not have stock struts for the inserts (only had coils), so I just purchased KYB'S for the mean time mainly due to budget in hopes to get Koni's down the road sometime.

Ride is more than fine for me on Seattle roads which are not so nice. Handling is fine also. I like H&R's. My gf has them on her WRX and we like the quality of them (Zeh Germens). I'd recommend them. I bought butt spacers also, but never got them put on and don't mind the stance without them at all so will probably leave them off.

Edited by lccl

Ok, so im kinda new to this forum but then again i know my way around here.. sorta.. but my next upgrade would be suspension and wheels after my modification to my exhaust. so here is my question, i've heard alot of great things on swifts lowering springs, and im actually leaning towards buying them soon. But my problem is, idk if i should buy new struts at the moment. I like coilovers, but at this point, i cant afford it yet, and im only lowering my car for looks, and a little performance in the streets. Im trying to make it a great daily driver. With the Swifts springs, it also gives me a 1" to a 1-1/2" drop on my car. So what are your opinions on either getting new struts or stayng stock for a little bit and then later on, get new struts

If it helps, my car has almost 120,000 miles on it and suspension ride still feels great with no issues.

So i found the kyb to be more affordable, but im not sure what model you guys are using. The best selling one i see here is the KYB GR-2/Exel-G strut. This is the most affordable ones i found

I was gonna go with the Konis but like you, cash isn't readily available. Ive been told IP&T has a yearly Spring Sale for Konis. Will look out for that sale and if I have the cash ima go for them.

Here's the link for the KYBs

Front:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-270/KYB-GR-dsh-2-Subaru-Legacy/Detail

Rear:

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-1568/KYB-GR-dsh-2-Subaru-Legacy/Detail

Here are the suspension setup I went through...

1. OEM KYB w/ Epics, rides really well, just didn't go low enough.

2. Megan Coilovers, its not as bad as people said, I just feel everything the road had to offer.

3. OEM KYB w/ Swifts, I liked them, they go pretty low and ride was pretty comfortable.

4. Koni w/ Swifts. They handle better then KYB, but it does feel more bouncier then OEM KYB.

5. KW v2. Great handling! Pretty comfortable for the amount I was dropped. Definitely feel the bumps more then spring/strut combo, but expected from coilovers.

6. KYB Excel-G w/ Swifts. Just had these installed yesterday. The ride is what I expected. Its currently low enough for me and they ride very well IMO. Hopefully this is my last set of suspension.

So what is the consensus for the best springs with oem parts. Im looking for just a slight drop to go with 18s. dont want saggy butt lol

i have searched a bunch but some of the threads turned out to be from 2009 lol.

I saw there are swift sport springs and swift coilover springs ?

So what is the consensus for the best springs with oem parts. Im looking for just a slight drop to go with 18s. dont want saggy butt lol

i have searched a bunch but some of the threads turned out to be from 2009 lol.

I saw there are swift sport springs and swift coilover springs ?

Most people prefer Epic Springs (Rebranded Eibach Pro-Kit) with stock struts. Still pretty comfortable, a bit stiffer then stock springs.

Swifts makes both regular and coilover spring. I currently have the regular spring on my car with KYB Excel-G.

Eibach is now owned by rallitek from my understanding. look @ the above photo, that is a rallitek lowering spring on an 18

I'm 99.9% sure that this is NOT true. Eibach is such a huge company, and Rallitek..... I don't think so. :iam:

Hey guys, noob questions, would outback coilovers work on my legacy? I'm assuming yes, just not go as low?

otherwise it looks from looking on this forum that swifts get pretty low and get a good strut upgrade.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Question: I have konis with swifts en route. Do I need the spec b top hats or will the lgt top hats be fine? I know the specs will raise the front of the car, I'm more concerned with fitting the appropriate top hat to the spring. That'll free up bc coilovers and Cobb wagon springs that will be for sale.

here's a question for the group;

I just installed the Bilstein HD struts. I already have shorter springs (Tein I think)- but after the Bilstein install the front end is now about 3/4" higher than before (on the stock struts).

I want to get the front back down so...

Has anybody cut down a set of springs? or done something to shorten what you already have?

btw the ride is really nice

I just installed the Bilstein HD struts. I already have shorter springs (Tein I think)- but after the Bilstein install the front end is now about 3/4" higher than before (on the stock struts).

Has anybody cut down a set of springs? or done something to shorten what you already have?

Its because the Bilstein rides higher in the front then the stock, I had that same issue when I swapped over to HDs with COBB springs, I have Swift Wagon Springs on my Sedan now and you cant notice it very much. You can get some Paranoid Fab or Suble Solution Saggy Butt Spacers to even out the stance.

The Spec B/JDM LGT/Bilstein-style top hats are what's making it run higher in front than advertised. If the Teins are designed for use with USDM LGT/KYB-style top hats, then the result when paired with Bilsteins (and Spec B top hats) is a 5/8" to 3/4" higher front end than advertised. That's why Bilsteins should be paired with JDM style springs like Swifts or Pinks.

Hey guys, noob questions, would outback coilovers work on my legacy? I'm assuming yes, just not go as low?

otherwise it looks from looking on this forum that swifts get pretty low and get a good strut upgrade.

any suggestions would be helpful.

Correct

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

-Brandon

2007 Chevrolet Suburban LT3

1981 Chevrolet C10 LWB