LegacyGT.com

Outback conversion

Hi, I'm completely new to car mods. My dad knows quite a bit about mechanics seeing as he has had muscle cars and hot rods his whole life. My current car, a 1999 legacy outback wagon, is running like a champ, but I want to give it a little extra something. It's an automatic transmission by the way.

I want to try and locate some of the following...

-Legacy GT body kit

-Some type of exhaust to get that true boxter sound

-Suitable rims to bring out some character (17's?)

-Turbo (probably not likely)

Thanks in advance,

Tyler

In my opinion, Borla exhaust, get the headers and cat back, idk if they make a complete set, they should, sounds great with the boxer. For 17's, 2004 STI rims, the BBS Golds are 5-100mm bolt pattern (only STI year with our bolt pattern) and they run about $800. Very hard to find however. Goodluck!

Your car sounds so nice, you did a good job. I want my car to sound a little deeper in the revs though, but thats just me. I could just buy the headers and get it custom seeing as my dad does salvage car work and he has a guy for custom exhaust. How much did the headers run you? And what other mods do you have?

Just a note, anything that says legacy anywhere in between 93 and 99... will work on your outback. outback = legacy. there's no difference between models.

Anyway. Handling wise, lower the car with some new shocks and springs. And if you're good with a spanner, after lowing the car, get under there and remove the subframe spacers. That will sharpen up handling a whole heap, seriously, you'll be shocked. And 17" wheels are by far the best for gen 2's, and is actually the factory size wheel for the japanese GTB Gen 2's. GTB's run 215/45R17 tyres factory.

As for engine performance, you're pretty limited. Cold air intake and exhaust will net you a few HP, but that's about it. If you are truly dedicated, drop a turbo engine in. Hello WRX exhaust note and 280HP. Do not even consider bolting a turbo to the current engine unless you know your shit. It's best to just do a whole engine swap by FAR.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dw0qAMilbvY]YouTube- 98 GTB - Drive by (short)[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g0OUuI2JDJc]YouTube- 98 Legacy GTB Exhaust. Single turbo.[/ame]

+1 to what Reuben said. Suspension and exhaust upgrades are the best for these 2.5 outbacks. Not to mention WRX engine + MT swap and also all the wiring is gonna be alot of work....

I personally swapped out my outback suspension for STi suspension on WRX struts last yr and been running on them for awhile...and it turned the car into something pretty good. In terms of exhaust getting borla knockoffs or the real deal work, though I havent looked at it as ive focused more with suspension and reliability.

Your car sounds so nice, you did a good job. I want my car to sound a little deeper in the revs though, but thats just me. I could just buy the headers and get it custom seeing as my dad does salvage car work and he has a guy for custom exhaust. How much did the headers run you? And what other mods do you have?

headers were about $200

and

JDM motor, borla exhaust headers, complete straight pipe with a 3 inch tip, cold air intake, stage 2 racing clutch, light weight flywheel, lowered with H&R springs

Archived