LegacyGT.com

Check your Thermostats

So, had some issues with the 05 LGT with the 5EAT running hot (temp gauge ran a few increments of hot).

During that time, it would blow coolant out of the reservoir tank.

Flushed the system with new coolant, changed out the upper and lower radiator hose with Mishimoto's, and still nothing.

Changed out the radiator for a brand new OEM Koyo unit.

Nothing.

Changed out the thermostat (and got a nice coolant bath), and now the temperature's under control. But it's still blowing coolant out of the tank (traces on the timing belt cover and green pools on the bottom engine cover/tray).

Found this black stuff stuck on the thermostat. Looks like it's coming off in sheets somewhere. Anyone see this before?

IMG_0623.JPG

Is this a result of the cooling system trying to burp all the air out? How do I know that it's done burping?

I filled the coolant up full at both the radiator and upper tank. And when it's cold again, I've opened up the top tank, topped that off, and filled up the reservoir to the "F" mark.

BANNED FROM THE TIKI FORUM. :lol:

Have you jacked up the right corner high as you can and run the engine with the cap off the top tank and squeeze the hoses till all the air is out.

It will run hot until you get all the air out.

What F mark on the what tank ? didn't know there was F mark.

Hate to say it but the black stuff looks the coating on a Cometic head gasket from a high HP Honda Civic. Don't ask me how I know...

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

F Mark = Full Mark.

Yep, drove the RF tire on a ramp, made friendly with the hoses.

The temps are good now, but it's still blowing coolant out the reservoir tank.

F Mark = Full Mark.

Yep, drove the RF tire on a ramp, made friendly with the hoses.

The temps are good now, but it's still blowing coolant out the reservoir tank.

Time for a hydrocarbon tester, make sure the HG is not blown...sorry to say that.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

well shit....the bright side is that it's not leaking the other way around...

Don't see any oil in the system yet.

Pressure tested everything - held pressure fine....

Following a routine TB job (ALL GATES PARTS) this happened to me. I used Max Capcity advice about the right corner burp process. It worked but I still would blow coolant and run warmer than pre-thermo change.

Come to find out that Gate Thermo was CRAP and is becoming more commonly the CRAP part of the TB kits they sell :( Went to AZ got a DuraLast thermo problems solves that way a year ago never ran warmer all summer and heated just fine all winter.

To test that gates i boiled a pot of water and put the thermo in and it would barely open @ 200F

Archived