LegacyGT.com

Aftermarket AMPS and Speakers...

Alex1

Aright so i've looked around here and haven't found too much info on anyone trying to add amps or subs to their Legacys. I read that the head unit is hard to replace? So i guess a new after market head unit is out of the question which kind of sucks so i have a few questions... If i wanted to put a dvd navi pop out/up screen could i put it in the area that has the navi in the japan versions... like that covered area with nothing in it... also are there navi pop out screens that play dvd's to? i dont know what "dvd navigation" is.. is it just a dvd with navi on it and u can pop it out and play a normal dvd movie? Also, would it be possible to add amps or subs... I dont know anything about car electronics so i might say some things that seem dumb but just help me out... thanks in advance... For amps and subs and speakers, dont u just somehow "wire" them into the current stereo system? You dont need to make a new one right? So i could get an audiobahn or 1000 watt amp and hook it up to the stereo and an aftermarket sub cab in the trunk or somthing.... Also if i was to upgrade the speakers... would you just open up the stock ones and install new ones and then reaply the stock covers? or what? Please help me out, im so confused!! Thanks again everyone -alex PS: if any has done any thing like this post pics :-d Im taking another test drive tmrw or sunday so ill post pics :-d

gleened from all the other posts about this subject: 1) no head unit replacement until a new replacement bezel is availalbe from SOA. 2) You can place an aftermarket head unit somewhere else though and bypass the OEM one 3) There is no preamp connection to the head unit... all amp connections must be made to the speakers directly.

[url]http://www.kenwoodusa.com/product/product.jsp?productTypeId=60&sortBy=price&productLineId=1&productId=2629[/url] im satisfied... now will the head unit part fit in the empty space???

First yes there is a Navi/ pop out system that you can play dvd and cd in int the new pioneer all in one cant remember the model number but you can check pioneer usa website and find it easy yes you can put in aftermarket amp and subs/aftermarket-stock-replacements you have to tap into the speaker output lines and either use the "high inputs" on the amp, or you can use a "line drop" which converts the output on the speaker wire to an RCA style setup then you can just go for it. not that hard really i have done it quite a bit on other cars. if you need any help just post, i will try to keep you updated

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

oh and about the stock replacements normally with subaru you have to pull the entire door panel off and then you can get to the speakers i might be pulling mine apart this weekend cause i want my JL x6 series in there so i will try to keep you posted on how bad that is, make sure you have all the right tools though if you want to do it yourself or you risk breaking panels and clips.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

I am not sure its possible to bypass the stock radio like that. If it is, it certainly means a whole lot of wiring to seperate the HVAC controls from the radio controls. Are we sure they aren't wired together on the same board. I think they are.

For your first question, an aftermarket navigation system can be fitted in the little sunglass cubbyhole thing on the dash, but it's very shallow and you may have to do a little Dremel-ing to get it to fit right. Hooking up the sound outputs may prove difficult to say the least, I think the best you could hope for is to use a line-level output converter, splice/switch the two (stock stereo and navi) inputs, then run an aftermarket amp and re-run the speaker wiring. This would degrade sound quality somewhat, and would be pricy. For your overall modification questions, take a look at what I wrote up for another poster [URL=http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=55002&postcount=12]here[/URL]. Since the amplifier stage is integrated in to the head unit along with the transport and DAC, you have to use what's called a line-output converter to get the integrated amp's high-wattage signal back down to preamplified levels in order to add any other audio sources or more watts. Theoretically, yes, someone could simply pull the amp chip off the board and attempt to solder in some kind of bridge out to an aftermarket amp, but I'm personally not willing to end up with a $500 mess of melted solder if it can't be done. And as for simply replacing the speakers, yes it can be done, but wattage is limited. Another forum user PMed me about replacing the speakers, and I pointed him towards the [url=http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF6000CS'&Ser=REF&Cat=COS]Infinity 6000CS[/url] and the [url=http://www.bostonacoustics.com/ca_product.asp?ProductID=67&CategoryID=14]Boston FS[/url], both should be capable of handling the stock amp nicely. The Bostons aren't certified to fit, but I don't see why not as the set I owned was relatively shallow. Lastly, for adding a sub amp and subwoofer, I don't see why it would be difficult outside of the two wire splices you'd need to make in to the stock sub outputs. A kilowatt amp and some long-throw 15" 18Hz woofer is going to _kill_ the sound above 125Hz, but to each his own.

Yes just saying it not that hard i pulled my radio apart and put it back in after moving that damn blue wire in about 30-45 min. BTW go arcsine seems like you may be a fellow install tech great choice on the speakers

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

[quote name='PimpFro']BTW go arcsine seems like you may be a fellow install tech great choice on the speakers[/QUOTE] Aww, shucks. As for the speakers, I might just go with the Bostons again myself unless SOA comes out with an ISO/DIN panel, in which case it's the Denonford deck, Nakamichi amp (stock rear speakers disconnected, amp outs bridged for the sub), Nordost wiring, and the Dynaudio System 240GT/MW190. Nope, not an installer, but I'm a dyed-in-the-wool audiophile and the former owner of several aftermarket car stereo setups, so I've just basically been in the same situations before. Actually, I wish I was an installer, I could get a lot more practice actually running wires and pulling paneling. Last time I tried it myself I couldn't get the stereo bezel back on just right and it was buzzing in harmony with the bass for a while.

wow well thats actuall how i started so good uck to you it should not be hard to get into the Mobile electronic install business once you know what you are doing just gotta talk to the right people.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

oh BTW hey D-2.5-GT you actually can bypass the main deck and still leave it with full power it is kinda hard but you only need to add about 1 foot of extra wire to each stock wire, to extend to the "Nav" pocket and install away. Definetly have to dremel it out though. i popped mine out today....shallow but absolutly feasable. oh hey how the crap do you do the quote thing i dunno how and i would like to be able to

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

[quote name='PimpFro'] oh hey how the crap do you do the quote thing i dunno how and i would like to be able to[/QUOTE] There is a "Quote" button above each person's post, click it. Anyway, I have no doubt when you say it can be done, but when it gets that technical / complicated, its really not worth it. If you had intentions of adding lots of aftermarket features, this car was not set up correctly from the start. I suspect it will be a while before we see a din replacement and at that point, the cost simply because there will have to be new climate controls built in; will be outrageous. If anything, i think i might just put some new speakers in, BA's are awesome! i have had them in several cars, as well as my home stereo and i swear by them, great quality and the customer service and warranties there are amazing. The highest i would go would be to power those with an amp, but nothing crazy thats for sure.

d, i take it the infinitiys are replacements to all the stock speakers in the car? Do they fit with little or no trouble (besides the redrilling i guess)? how will these hold up if i decide to place a new head unit / amp in the car down the line ?

I don't have anything but the stock ones in there right now. I haven't gotten the time / paitence to go cracking the door pannels off just yet. The drilling part, although you have to be very careful, i don't htink would be that hard, just mark your spots and go. Correct that, mark the spots, check them once, twice, three times, then drill. Never too careful. Any aftermarket speakers are going to hold up better than the crappy paper ones. If you have intentions of building things, make sure you go for somehting which has enough capacity for what you want. I am anxious to get in there and take some measurements specifically of depth. Anyone have depth info for speakers???

[quote name='RoundBoy']i take it the infinitiys are replacements to all the stock speakers in the car?[/quote] They're listed as 2-90W RMS by Crutchfield, but 90W RMS by Infinity. My brother-in-law used them to replace the speakers in his Mustang, and they sound great. It may have been the previous gen, but I know they were the Infinity base component set. From what I can hear of the stock speakers, there's power left in that iddle widdle MOSFET yet. Anybody have the power ratings of the stock amp? I'm a bit too far to go retrieve my manual right now. [quote name='RoundBoy'] how will these hold up if i decide to place a new head unit / amp in the car down the line ?[/QUOTE] They'll be fine with 100W I'd say, as long as you don't crank it up to 20. RMS is a flexible thing, most of the time it's not even close to what the actual "perfect signal" is for the driver. Dynaudio's home speakers are at like 300W RMS, but I've heard them sound better on a 40W amplifier than a 200W.

[quote name='RoundBoy']well... in previous posts you mentioned the infinitys to be a good match to stock stereo... are you basing this off what the stock HU can output ? just trying to wrap my head around car audio..[/QUOTE] I think if i were to replace the speakers that the two i would most likely choose from would be Boston Acoustics and Infinity. I have had both of them before in various forms. It really depends on the specific application and what you want to get out of the sound for $. Either will sound better and both will certainly be enough to upgrade things on.

well guys i used to swear my infinity also, but when i got ahold of a pair of JL audio XR650 CSi 's i could not beleive them this was the old setup in my old 90 legacy Head unit= pioneer Deh-8400Mp Front spkers= Infinity kappa refrence component Rear spkers= JL XR650 component set 4 ch amp for mids and highs= Fosgate Power 551x 2ch amp for sub= Fosgate punch 700s Sub= Infinity Kappa DVC 12" in custom built box power cap= 2 Monster 1 farad Caps and those JL's just blew the infinitys outta the water...but they were not kappa perfect so i dunno the infinitys could be better but from my choice i will take those JL's hey arcsine i suggest you check those things out they are pretty bad, they gave a major amount of mid-bass with minimal or no distortion plus you can put the Bi-wire setup on it if you want. i was certainly impressed [quote name='D-2.5-GT']I am anxious to get in there and take some measurements specifically of depth. Anyone have depth info for speakers???[/QUOTE] man i hear ya i am gonna do it to, very soon, prbbly this weekend

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

I have heard the JL XR's in person. Their midbass was pretty good. I still am deciding on component speakers for my car, and the depth limit makes it difficult. Some CDT or Image Dynamics would be sweet, but I'm afraid they might be too deep. I haven't tried opening the door panels yet to measure.

If you've never heard them, check out the Diamond Audio HEX series. If there are any places close to audition them, I'd definately do it, then buy them off of ebay for half their price and get them to install 'em. ;) They LOVE it when you do that.... I have a set of the s500s and I love them. I'll eventually get around to installing them in my LGT.

[quote name='!S4']If you've never heard them, check out the Diamond Audio HEX series. If there are any places close to audition them, I'd definately do it, then buy them off of ebay for half their price and get them to install 'em. ;) They LOVE it when you do that.... I have a set of the s500s and I love them. I'll eventually get around to installing them in my LGT.[/QUOTE] I have heard those Hex's... awesome and arent they a little more shallow than the JL XR6 too hmmmm.... in our doors are 5 1/4 up front have not checked the back yet. anybody who has had an older legacy (still have my old 90) knows where the screws are at and the rest are just panel pop off plugs. with the way its set up in the door i am sure i can fit a 6 1/2 in with some custom work. i wonder if they make an adapter for it yet, anybody know?

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

Archived