VIR Full Course 3.27 miles, Subaru Outback XT, 2:17 lap time, 146MPH top speed

Event: NASA May VIR Full Couse

Date: 5/4/2014

Temp: 55F

Weather: Sunny

Car: 2008 Subaru Outback XT

Tuner: Chris @ Moore Automotive in Fairfax VA

Fuel: 93

Mods: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JxnmjggqB40--i4kAZi4VOQyceTxzPM5F8cOr_88ZX8/edit?usp=sharing

Out with the Advanced group this past weekend at VIR.

outback.thumb.jpg.af6e801b6a41d958ef6f40bcfbb9cf5f.jpg

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are you using a external Bluetooth GPS Sensor? Also what phone are you using?

No just ran the app on my phone. You can select the track in the app and it knows where the start/finish line is. I have a Motorola Droid Razr Maxx.

It will also save a file which you can use to create an overlay for your video, but that overlay program is crashing on my computer for some reason.

http://trackmaster.trackaroo.com

Nice, sweet video and looks like you had a blast - I was down there on the 9th (One Lap of America), love that track.

Looks like you've been there enough to get a really good line. Thursday was the first time running full course and my line through the uphill esses was terrible. Wish I had more time to get the esses and oak-tree right; with more than 1 3-lap session I might have dropped my 2:11 down to 2:10, maybe even high 2:09s... ('08 M3 with ~580 crank HP.... power is good for that track!).

I think you could get up the esses with less throttle lift (or none?) through the bottom portion and less slowing for 10 and drop quite a bit of time. I was entering the esses at ~135 and slowing to ~100, and not getting everything I could out of our car due to my total crap line. I reviewed my video with some guys who have 1000+ laps at that track, and I think your line matches what they told me I should have been doing. They mentioned if I had hit the first turn correct (followed the track further to the left and not early apexed the first right), I should have been able to hold another 10+ mph through 9 and not slow as much for 10.

Yeah definitely I think I can shave a few seconds off that time if I had a clean lap. I noticed in my video I started the fastest lap about 10-12 mph below my normal speed because I was pointing that M3 by. I could probably do the uphill esses a little quicker as well, I was trying not to brake check before 7. Yeah if you hold the turn at 7 just a bit longer it makes the rest of the uphill esses a much straighter shot. I felt like I was coming quick out 10 and into Oak Tree. I need to brake later into oak tree.

I'll probably head down there a couple of more times this year and I hope I can get below 2:20 with the tires I have now. When these tires I have now wear out, I'm going to get something stickier.

• 1 month later...

I know this is a stupid question but I figured I would ask anyway.

What made you decide to build up your outback for track time? How come you didn't go with a cheap RWD car (Miata, Mustang) and go from there?

Also this is awesome and I really like what you have done. Makes me jealous.

I know this is a stupid question but I figured I would ask anyway.

What made you decide to build up your outback for track time? How come you didn't go with a cheap RWD car (Miata, Mustang) and go from there?

Also this is awesome and I really like what you have done. Makes me jealous.

Wife only let me have one car, so had to make a do it all car.

• 9 months later...
Resurrecting because that time of year is here again and as a fellow wagon lover, this is plain awesome. Keep it up man. Maybe I'll see you out there soon in my soon to be new to me 05 GT wagon. Well done indeed!

I was out at VIR earlier this year and shaved a couple of seconds off what I did last year. Here is a video of that. It would be nice not to be the only Subaru Wagon out there every time.

Archived