LegacyGT.com

carbon mods skinning ? what u think?

solidkevlar

I used one of those kits on my Supras mirrors. Haven't finished yet, but it's a pain in the ass wrapping compound shapes. I'll probably end up painting a portion of the mirror with black paint to hide the mistakes.

trying to wrap compound shapes with carbon weave is completely different than vinyl; it does not handle the same.

I have wrapped many-a-thing, from center consoles to mirrors and it is not easy. It is not horribly difficult, but you need to pay attention to details. Completely saturating something in resin is not very cool though (which is what you need to do in order to get the desired result)...at least I dont think it is cool. I dont mean to sound all hipster, but this is not new, and there is a reason it hasn't caught on much. Labor intensive for a cool "looking" product that is soaked in 1/4" of resin. Once vinyl became even remotely real looking, people stopped doing this. I appreciate that it isn't fake, but it also defeats the purpose of carbon panels.

When you say you bought "the bags to make real carbon fiber parts", you do understand that you need a lot more than vacuum bags...right?

yes there is alot of things to get from mold supplies all the way down to the carbon fiber its self. its a thing i want to do,a hobbie it use to be my gsxr, but now i have a kid and want to have fun building other things. and di noc is easy and un fun i want something with a challenge

• 2 weeks later...

Archived