LegacyGT.com

95 2.2 Overheating after 20 mins

Hello I just purchased my second Subaru Legacy. It has 230K and seems to be running great except that it overheats after running for about 20 mins. I checked the oil and there is no foamy mess, nor does there seem to be any oil in the coolant. Also no heat coming from the heater. Could it still be the head gasket? Or is it possible that the water pump has partially failed? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

if it was the headgasket you would have white smoking coming from the tail pipe. also theres two things it could be one radiator two waterpump. do this while shes overheating bring the rpms up to about 2000 if it starts to go down then its the pump. question check the top and lower radiator hose the should both be hot the lower is gonna be just a bit cooler then the top but still hot. it the top is hot and the lower is cold then you have a clog some where in the radiator. hope this helps and good luck.

Flush the coolant....it's easy to do yourself. I just had an overheating session after some hard driving during a local storm chase. I caught it before the gauge maxed out. I've flushed it, refilled and it works great. Be sure to use a flushing agent too when doing so. Run a good amount of water through the system, try and get any blockages out of the way.

When you have your car on and running warm, check the top hose...if it's hot things likely are flowing well..and you can rule out the thermostat, as well as the previous poster mention it as a check for radiator flow.

coolant leak, head gasket, thermostat. Likely one of these for sure.

Just don't drive it before eyou fix it. I did when I was a teenager and caused 4K damage to my Jeep.

Temps so hot, they warped pistons and cylinders.

My old man was NOT happy with me.

Archived