LegacyGT.com

Coolant leaking under air intake

Hello folks -

Got a 1997 Legacy Wagon with an EJ22. I've been losing coolant over the past year, maybe a quart every couple months, but recently a bit faster. Got a new head gasket, water pump within the past 5k miles.

I was trying to diagnose today, so I had revved my engine (retrospectively, probably a little much) to try to get the radiator fans to kick on, and I discovered that coolant had sprayed/splashed onto the hoses/block under the air intake and dripped down onto the pavement (see pictures). It's almost dead center but a bit driver's side where it collected most, but looks like it sprayed with quite some pressure.

Any ideas what might be leaking? I assume it's a hose, but none are obviously saturated with coolant at the crimps. I was going to get an autozone pressure tester and hope it fits.

If it's a hose, I assume I have to drain my coolant to not introduce air?

Thanks for any suggestions!

517734065_photo1.JPG.3ef9bcaa6b6510c742ed21f23fd67bf5.JPG

1883234856_photo2.JPG.33a6e794e0b1982797067998b072bf36.JPG

231145841_photo3.JPG.1a1f0a6d2bc3854eb1a53c902c74a7d6.JPG

Thanks! There was some residue there.

I found the primary leak is actually a hose leading to the heater core, but the coolant had dripped down under so it wasn't easy to see. Once the engine started heating up, if I squeezed the hose it would shoot a jet of coolant all over the bottom of the air intake and throttle body, hence the assumption it was coming from that area. It's the hose with the upside-down A on it in the picture. Anyone know the size (it has 69 written on it)?

http://s30.postimg.org/vk232zokt/photo_2_1.jpg

http://s16.postimg.org/wd6vwb1hd/photo_1_1.jpg

There is also quite a bit of residue on the metal connector for the driver side throttle coolant hose. If it's easy enough to get too, I'll replace that one too while the plastic air intake is off, maybe the one with the crimp too since it doesn't look too good.

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similer problem on my 98 gt. more on the passenger side though. It was a small pinhole in a metal supply line for the air idle control valve. I had to take the intake off to get to it. But I got one from a junkyard and it fixed it. There were 2 small hoses going to it. Coolant could shoot anywhere under there.

• 2 months later...
Same issue here, i recently replaced the radiator on a 05 lgt. Couple drives later found coolant leaking from where the water pump area is. Problem is that i'd have to take off the timing belt cover. Never done it before and kinda apprehensive about it. Kinda inclined to tow it to the stealership to have them take of it :/

Archived