LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

True of all coilovers, even something like a KWv3?

I have stopped paying attention to whitetiger. Soon, you will as well.

If it isn't Ohlins, it's junk...etc. Misinformation and misdirection. May not be on purpose, but it is there.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

True of all coilovers, even something like a KWv3?

yes. all coilovers with stiffer springs on lowered cars means less suspension travel. less travel means less capable of dealing with bad roads and foul conditions. if you know you will be in these conditions often, it is better to avoid coilovers unless you like frequent rebuilds.

Having said this KWv3's are ok in my book as entry level coils. ;)

I have stopped paying attention to whitetiger. Soon, you will as well.

If it isn't Ohlins, it's junk...etc. Misinformation and misdirection. May not be on purpose, but it is there.

well then you are missing out on good info. it is not misinformation and misdirection. It is based on my actual experiences installing and using multiple brands of coilovers in a real motorsports environments backed up by multiple national champion autox'ers and the guy at farnorthracing who builds shocks.

you dont have to do what i say, no one is forcing you. just take it in to consideration. Im just hear to help. there are really only a hand-full of members here who have experience with something better than the discount off-the-shelf coilovers. ;) Just trying to educate everyone as to what they are actually buying...that not all shocks are equal, or even close to equal.

Edited by whitetiger

yes. all coilovers with stiffer springs on lowered cars means less suspension travel. less travel means less capable of dealing with bad roads and foul conditions. if you know you will be in these conditions often, it is better to avoid coilovers unless you like frequent rebuilds.

Having said this KWv3's are ok in my book as entry level coils. ;)

So the same goes for Konis on lowering springs, then? If you have coilovers and don't slam the car, then not quite the same issue of longevity that you refer to?

Meanwhile ......

I need suggestions on new front endlinks???...my whitelines arw shot, ready go!

are you talking about the whiteline adjustables? the kart boy endlinks are "the definition of beef". I don't have them (i have white-line adjustables) but i did consider them and they look like they could take any abuse you could think of.

So the same goes for Konis on lowering springs, then? If you have coilovers and don't slam the car, then not quite the same issue of longevity that you refer to?

since konis are just a replacement shock, it in of itself does not reduce the stroke of the suspension. most lowering springs are soft compared to the springs that come on CO kits so a soft spring will travel more and utilize more stroke than a CO spring will, making fixed perch springs(with the assumption that they are softer) still better for rough roads than COs as far as keeping the wheel on the ground. And konis are a superior shock, designed to go farther than mos of the CO kits on the market below the $2k mark which are geared toward smooth tarmac driving, so the konis will last longer in that regard as well.

the kart boy endlinks are "the definition of beef". I don't have them (i have white-line adjustables) but i did consider them and they look like they could take any abuse you could think of.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5211221&postcount=7

The KB's didn't take his "abuse" too well. :lol:

I had a pair of KB's in the rear that had their bushings get all boogered up too. Went back to stock endlinks and was fine. I'd go with the Moogs if I needed a replacement.

I had a pair of KB's in the rear that had their bushings get all boogered up too. Went back to stock endlinks and was fine. I'd go with the Moogs if I needed a replacement.

YEESH! maybe you can just get some poly bushings for them as clearly it was the bushings that failed

Those bushings just can't flex enough for this application. Needs to be something with a ball-joint or spherical bushing of some sort.

Really? the whiteline adjustables that i have on just have a small stiff bushing and they seem to be holding up well, of course they've only been on for 3 months or so.

He didn't use spacers and wrenched them in.

My fronts were a pain and the spacers that were provided did not suffice. I had the OE front endlinks put back while I ordered more spacers and did it correctly.

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

Really? the whiteline adjustables that i have on just have a small stiff bushing and they seem to be holding up well, of course they've only been on for 3 months or so.

Hrm, have a pic? All the Whiteline adjustable links that I've seen have at least one ball end on there...

Hrm, have a pic? All the Whiteline adjustable links that I've seen have at least one ball end on there...

I'll see if i can grab one (but it's raining right now so don't be too hopeful). but after searching for it online you could be right. they are not bolt thru like the kart boys they have there own studs which could have ball joints behind the rubber piece (that i thought was the bushing but may just be a grease shield) that you can't see.

• 4 weeks later...

so in the northeast - south jersey specifically - am i understanding correctly that coilovers are going to require rebuilding maybe every 20k? i log a lot of highway miles - i'd be doing so every 1.5 years or so, and @ ~$600/rebuild - i can't wrap my head around that

i'm wanting to be enabled towards frederick's RCET0s - but...

so in the northeast - south jersey specifically - am i understanding correctly that coilovers are going to require rebuilding maybe every 20k? i log a lot of highway miles - i'd be doing so every 1.5 years or so, and @ ~$600/rebuild - i can't wrap my head around that

i'm wanting to be enabled towards frederick's RCET0s - but...

Same story. Mine have a light film on them for what Borelli Motorsports called "sweating" but they were working just fine.

They are "used" right? Maybe they will go another 20,000 miles or maybe they will go another 60,000 or maybe they will go another 5 miles. Who knows.

Road conditions, speed and driving style will play a role in how soon they wear.

I bought my fortune 500's knowing full well that they are not gonna last until my 60,000 mile major service....especially if I hit the track.

The tarmac zeros are a very good coilover for street use. If you don't get mine, get a new set from RCE. I think you will be quite happy with them.

I originally opted for the 350# springs. This is great for street but not for track use. If you keep it on the street no matter how hard you drive, the 350# springs are great.

You can always do konis, and rebuilding the fronts is a piece of cake and you can do it yourself in about two minutes while your car is in some shop (assuming they are unwilling to unbolt the old insert and bolt in the new one)