LegacyGT.com

SPT Power Pack & Accessport maps

Aex1

Hi, folks! Here is my situation: I have OBXT with SPT Power Pack installed, including SPT Cat-Back exhaust, naturally.

Here it is:http://www.photoshare.ru/original/photoshare.ru-2062564.jpg

And here it is SPT Intake:

http://www.photoshare.ru/original/photoshare.ru-2062565.jpg

Well, right now I don't know how to combine the text and the pictures, so I proceed with the new post.

The problem is that I don't know really what Accessport map should I flash: Stage 1 or Stage 2 (for 91 fuel, of course). Well, I tryed both and I liked more Stage 2, for sure. But I was afraid if it's dangerous for the catalysator, because I have only SPT CAT-Back Exhaust, not complete TURBO-Back Exhaust. So I reverted to Stage 1. But on stage 2 it was marvelous!

Well, what it's possible to do in this special situation:

1). Complete the Exhaust with Downpipe and then tranquilly flash Stage 2?

2). Order from TDXtuning, for instance, some original map for my specific configuration?

3). Drive on Stage 1 and don't worry?

Any suggestions will be welcomed. Thank you.

Meanwhile, at the Stage 2 map description they say that

"MUST use with high flow exhaust system with catalytic converter". But I still have catalysator on my OBXT with SPT Cat-back exhaust!

Well, any suggestions, please!

You are stage 1, with an intake. Your exhaust flow is restricted by the stock downpipe and cats, so you won't be able to hit the boost targets for stage 2. Probably just end up making you run even more rich to run that map.

The catback won't be doing anything useful except for sound with the stock downpipe (and in your case, uppipe) being changed. The intake, well, there's a lot of discussion on that, so I won't go into it, but you can search and find more information.

You are stage 1, with an intake. Your exhaust flow is restricted by the stock downpipe and cats, so you won't be able to hit the boost targets for stage 2. Probably just end up making you run even more rich to run that map.

The catback won't be doing anything useful except for sound with the stock downpipe (and in your case, uppipe) being changed. The intake, well, there's a lot of discussion on that, so I won't go into it, but you can search and find more information.

Thank you, ShadowImg. You mean, the stock downpipe on Legacy GT (and also on OBXT) is definitely more narrow than on any tuning aftermarket downpipe, such as Cobb Turbo-Back? But how much and is this decisive?

"...run even more rich" you mean rich in fuel consumption?

So, Cat-Back Exhaust seems to be a useless thing or what?

Yes, I've read a lot of information regarding intakes and SPT Intake in special, but right now I want to try it more. I always can revert to the stock intake, right?

Get an aftermarket dp cattless or catted your choice or you can just gut your stock dp and be ok for stage 2. You will want your car to be set up for your intake so eaither go pdx or ta and you should be happy.

And thank you, kevkel33leg05. Well, absolutely cutting away the cat I think is not a good idea. Here, in Russia, the guru propose such thing, I don't know how to translate but something like "flame arrester" in place of the original catalysator. Do you know about such conversion and is it good at this case?

Thank you, ShadowImg. You mean, the stock downpipe on Legacy GT (and also on OBXT) is definitely more narrow than on any tuning aftermarket downpipe, such as Cobb Turbo-Back? But how much and is this decisive?

"...run even more rich" you mean rich in fuel consumption?

So, Cat-Back Exhaust seems to be a useless thing or what?

Yes, I've read a lot of information regarding intakes and SPT Intake in special, but right now I want to try it more. I always can revert to the stock intake, right?

It's not that the stock downpipe is more narrow, it's that the catalytic converters are not "high-flow" and are too restrictive to run Stage 2 boost levels. A cat-back exhaust isn't necessarily useless, but any gains from one are fairly small, especially at stock or Stage 1 levels. Like ShadowImg said, they're more for sound than anything. If you plan on running that intake at Stage 2 levels, make sure you get custom maps that are made for it. You should probably also learn how to log your car so you can make sure it's not causing any problems right now at Stage 1.

It's not that the stock downpipe is more narrow, it's that the catalytic converters are not "high-flow" and are too restrictive to run Stage 2 boost levels. A cat-back exhaust isn't necessarily useless, but any gains from one are fairly small, especially at stock or Stage 1 levels. Like ShadowImg said, they're more for sound than anything. If you plan on running that intake at Stage 2 levels, make sure you get custom maps that are made for it. You should probably also learn how to log your car so you can make sure it's not causing any problems right now at Stage 1.

Thanks, LGT Dave. But how about this thing:

Cobb Tuning (533301) Turbo Back Exhaust Systems - XT w/ catalytic converter (sorry, I can't put the link, but at http://onlineopportunities.biz , for example, there are a lot of Cobb Turbo Back Exhausts WITH catalytic converters. This one is for Forester 04-... ) You mean that stock cat is much more restrictive then this one?

And one more thing, please. You mean that SPT Intake is definitely different that SF Cobb Intake? Are you sure? Simetimes it seems to me that is pure case of competition, all those Cobb's reports, especially made without heat shield.

So, the best thing in this situation is cut off the stock dp, put tuning dp and then be happy with Stage 2, right?

Get an aftermarket dp cattless or catted your choice or you can just gut your stock dp and be ok for stage 2. You will want your car to be set up for your intake so eaither go pdx or ta and you should be happy.

Sorry, kevkel33leg05, but what the tuning firm is "ta"? I didn't found anything similar.

so it is safe to use a Cobb Accessport with the SPT intake (whether or not its good/bad) if you get another tune on top of it? for example, I have the SPT intake, would I use the cobb base stage 1 map and then a real time map from PDX or TA on top of it? trying to figure out the whole tuning thing...

No. Cobb base maps are based off of the factory airbox. If you got a map from PDX or TA. Then you would just reflash you ecu with the new map which would be for your spt intake. You dont wanna mix and match a TA basemap with a cobb realtime map or otherway around.

Well, I'm thinking of this. I've already replaced the original cats (2, in downpipe) with the high flow "flame arrester", without absolutely cutting them. Well, Stage 2 recognized this and didn't give any CEL.

Sorry, I'm writing from the train. So, right now I preffered this modification. I always can cut off the cats later.

But I want to order from Pdx the map especially for SPT intake and for high flow downpipe. And for our 91 octane, naturally. They've said they have all the maps for all kind of modifications and fuels.

So, should I flash this new map from the clear list, from the very beginning, removing previously the Cobb Stage 2 map?

My downpipe it IS high flow now! Besides, those men converted also the uppipe (located AFTER the turbo, correct me if I'm wrong) at this kind of flame arrester.

Also I don't like the idea to flash Pdx map OVER Cobb map, I'll prefer to flash it from the clear list, let's say, removing first the Cobb map and unmarring so the AP with my car. Correct me also, if I'm wrong here.

Also I don't like the idea to flash Pdx map OVER Cobb map, I'll prefer to flash it from the clear list, let's say, removing first the Cobb map and unmarring so the AP with my car. Correct me also, if I'm wrong here.

If that makes you feel better go for it but when you reflash the ecu with a base map it rewrites whatever was on the ecu. also reset your ecu right before you reflash it.

No. Cobb base maps are based off of the factory airbox. If you got a map from PDX or TA. Then you would just reflash you ecu with the new map which would be for your spt intake. You dont wanna mix and match a TA basemap with a cobb realtime map or otherway around.

So if you have the spt air intake and use the cobb stage 1 map which is set up for the stock intake, what damage if any can happen to the car? Or is it just that the car will run leaner and you don't get the best results from the maps?

It was just my short experience (AP Stage 2), maybe risky. I've already ordered the tuned map from PDX, taking into account the SPT intake. I'll try this one made especially for my modification and let you know the results.

So if you have the spt air intake and use the cobb stage 1 map which is set up for the stock intake, what damage if any can happen to the car? Or is it just that the car will run leaner and you don't get the best results from the maps?

All your sensors work off of 5.0volts max. Each 0.1 volt equals an amount of airflow. so say your stock airbox is at 4.4 volts. Np at all. Now when you put on a bigger intake with cobb ots maps and start taken in more air you face the chance of maxing out that 5.0 volt range. Example you could be bringin in 5.3 volts but the maf cant read that. So it will only give you the fuel for 4.9 volts. Causeing a lean condition. Which in the worst case scenario could casue engine damage. When you get a map for your intake they change the values of each 0.1V so you wont max it out. Hope that helps/makes sence....

Ok, thank you very much, kevkel! Now i can feel the risk more obviuosly, with your technical explanation. Well, these days easy, easy with the engine, waiting for the pdx map. And i don't want to revert to stock map, causing this the cel (maybe).

But can you confirm the Cobb sf intake is really much more secure than SPT intake at this situation?

Another thing that i was quite satisfied with Cobb map Stage 2...

NP at all aex1. As long as your taken it easy with you will be fine. Its more of a concern in the higher rpms. I believe when cobb made there "sft intake" they based it off of the factory airbox. Thats why you can run it with the cobb ots maps. You never see the cobb sft intake claim hp gains or atleast i have not.

Archived