LegacyGT.com

My '99 Legacy GT 30th Anniv. Thread.

So, I picked this car up in a friend of mines neighborhood. Quite the find I must say. I got the car about a week before school started which was also lucky.

The car is extremely clean with (now) 86xxx miles on it.

Haven't done much with the car, I washed and waxed it over the labor day weekend while I was home, I put in my pioneer head unit so I could listen to my ipod in the car, and I painted the wood panel plastic interior with Plasti-Dip.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/97celiman/Subaru/2348707795_d47c163a1b.jpg

Some of you may have heard of it...it comes in a spray can and dries in a matte black. It's nice because you can peel it off like electrical tape.

Haven't taken any pictures yet, but here are some quick pics of the Legacy the day I left for school.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/97celiman/Subaru/003.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/97celiman/Subaru/002.jpg

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp1/97celiman/Subaru/001.jpg

At some point I will do a proper photo shoot with a friend of mine's camera.

*Disclaimer* I don't have the bike rack because it is JDM tyte and hella sick. I actually have bikes to cart around. Also since my family is from Wyoming I had to put my hippie bumpersticker supporting Wyomings wildlife and stuff.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, I was extremely lucky with this car. Got it from a NASIOC member and multiple subaru owner. This was his Gf DD. Had cash in hand and got it well below blue book.

These pictures don't do it justice. I love the wheels too, and yes they came with the car. He said they are from the Euro or Jap spec Legacy??? I am not 100% sure. He made them sound sorta rare, but that could have been the seller talking. I also have the other muffler with 2.5GT etched into it, such a nice tip without changing the factory sound.

He also said (and I can certainly feel) it has a short throw in it. The height is more or less stock but it is very precise and notchy. Not Miata quality or anything (then again, what is?) But quite solid.

I love the subtle bronze of the wheels, how they aren't as yellow-rally style bronze that you see on sti's and the like. I'd like to touch up the hubcaps as they are fading/chipping...

Anyone know the paint code (wheels)?

Only really big things I have lined up/wish list is a nice strut/spring combo ~1-1.5 inches lower and a projector retrofit. I have a buddy who does them and he has been wanting to break into other markets, so is doing it at cost for me.

Oh and I put some clear floormat plastic things in which keep the interior nice and clean after a dirty trail ride :)

Ha thanks! Manual always. I was actually looking at mazda protege5's being in college and I have the rail racks for horizontal roof racks already. But I found this on ebay and couldn't pass up the closeness, the mileage, and the price. I like the wheels more and more everytime I look at the car.

Anyone want to tell me what they are lol?

98GT where in Idaho are you from? My Dad and step mom have just bought a house and 10 acres with 30 more as an option in Caldwell. Gonna have a little winery and B&B. I think he is going to finish up his AF stuff with a CAP unit at Mountain Home AFB rather than here at Sheppard too...Point is, I'll be visiting there in the summers/all of the northwest, since I have all my fam in Wyoming and parts of oregon...god I hate texas. I can't even capitalize it.

/rant/daydreaming of Northwest in general.

Ha thanks! Manual always. I was actually looking at mazda protege5's being in college and I have the rail racks for horizontal roof racks already. But I found this on ebay and couldn't pass up the closeness, the mileage, and the price. I like the wheels more and more everytime I look at the car.

Anyone want to tell me what they are lol?

98GT where in Idaho are you from? My Dad and step mom have just bought a house and 10 acres with 30 more as an option in Caldwell. Gonna have a little winery and B&B. I think he is going to finish up his AF stuff with a CAP unit at Mountain Home AFB rather than here at Sheppard too...Point is, I'll be visiting there in the summers/all of the northwest, since I have all my fam in Wyoming and parts of oregon...god I hate texas. I can't even capitalize it.

/rant/daydreaming of Northwest in general.

I live in Oregon

Your Subaru is a lot better than a Mazda.. Not to metion you got one of the more rare ones since the Limited 5 speed 1999 Models aren't always easy to find. You had a really nice car fall into your lap basically lol

The wheels are off of the Legacy GT-B (Japan) wagons I think.. Don't hold me to it though.

I live in Sandpoint, ID. I'm always in Coeur d' Alene and Spokane though. I love it up here! I've been to Southern Idaho once. I generally stay up in this area. North Idaho is the best! I love all the seasons that we get, Lake Pend Orielle is awesome in the summer time especially having a boat. Are you ever up this far north?

Well it's very easy for me to be, I fly for free. I'm for sure going to be in Wyoming this summer, most def Idaho (although more the boise/eagle/caldwell area...) And I would love to check out spokane/seattle at some point. Wash is one state I haven't been to yet.

I have a cousin who just moved to Portland so I'm sure I'll be around that area too. I loved the Snake River Valley and Sawtooth(?) Mtns where my parents are moving too. And the fact that it doesn't get in the 90's till two and starts cooling off by five...bliss.

I'd love to end up in Portland when it's all said and done...no AFB's though :/. We'll see how it works out. Anything bike friendly, four seasons and northwest and I'll be happy.

I def got the impression from the seller this car had some stuff (wheels, muffler) that you don't see everyday. I'd love to get a midpipe just to hear that boxer growl a little (not alot) more...but I want to keep the muffler I have.

Ya their are a couple in Washington that would be nice.

If I get a flight slot for nursing (awhile from now) I'd like to be in Rammstein or Italy for a bit, then move back to the NW.

Colorado has a lot of options also.

Oh and before I get flamed (since I already did on nasioc) Sorry for destroying the uber tyte rare fake wood buick style trim pieces. Although I don't know that they are destroyed. I sanded with like 320 very lightly...Plastidip doesn't really even need prep and it peels off like tape.

It reminded me of old people and was crampin' my style.

Ha yes, I have been made well aware...the previous owner had a really nice white sti and his gf went from this to a wrx wagon.

I need to check nasioc for suspension bits but the legacy section is so small...still, some nice builds there.

Ya I was reading the suspension sticky...sounds like I can't use 04 sti springs unless I get new top hats...which is a shame bc there are some for sale.

I'm thinking 05-07 sti springs and '04 struts...

Someone correct me if I can use the 04 springs w/out doing "extra work". I'm in no rush and can wait for a sweet deal so...

ask around, I found a deal for 4 struts and top hats, because most of the time if people are tunning their WRX or STI they will by coil-overs and sell their stock suspension which is perfect for us haha. The '04 struts will go right in, just any struts from an '05+ STI wont because of the hub change.

So just to clarify-

02-07 sti springs will work.

Struts wise- (assuming I have the 04 sti springs)

I can either-

A) Use the factory legacy struts with new tophats to adapt to the springs or...

B) Get 02-04 STi struts and the hubs will be perfect.

C) Now why not just get http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KYB-GR-2-Gas-Shocks-Struts-95-1999-Subaru-Legacy-4WD-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem27b238f189QQitemZ170493800841QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

and some lowering springs (megan, eibach, etc) and call it a day? Do they not have good support for 2nd gen legacy?

And D) those above kybs, some 04 sti springs, and the 04-07 rear top hats to make the rear struts compatible.

Archived