LegacyGT.com

06 Spec.B, what size tires can I run and what is a good value summer tire??

jeguzik

I have an 2006 Spec.B that needs new tires on the stocker rims. Can I move up to a 225 / 45 / 18, and can someone explain how this works??

Also, what is a good value summer tire. It does not have to be crazy, but I would like some grip, decent wear and a nice price tag. What does the cognoscenti have to say for itself...

Thanks in advance,

J

I'm running 225/40/18 Sumitomo HTR ZIII on my stock 18x7 Spec B rims for the summer and I've been very happy with them so far.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Sumitomo&tireModel=HTR+Z+III&partnum=24YR8HTRZ3XL&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=40

300 treadwear and they're asymmetrical so I can rotate them side to side and extend life. I would only get a summer (~15k miles) out of a set of the RE050A's that came from the factory. I had the Sumitomo's on all last summer (including probably 5 autox events) and they're still got some tread. I don't know if I'll make it through the summer with them but the Nissan should be pulling motorsports duty this summer so they might make it (I run tires till they're corded too).

They may not be quite as grippy as the RE050A's but I haven't really noticed and I haven't had any issues with road noise or wear. They suck in the snow but that's expected considering they're not designed for that. I'm going to be switching back to my summer setup this week and I can't wait.

From what i've heard, you have a very tiny decrease in acceleration, better handling, and the profile doesn't really change the ride, but does throw off your speedo by 1.8%. Someone with experience correct me if I'm wrong.

225/40 is slightly shorter so technically you should get slightly better acceleration but the difference is so minor that I can't tell. The speedo is also technically off a little but again, it's a very small change. My only real point of reference is those "Your speed is" signs on the highway and I usually read about 2 mph slower than what my speedo says when driving around 70 but I think it did that on the stock tires as well.

I went with the Sumitomo's in 225/40 rather than 225/45 because they were about $10 cheaper in the small size and I've been very happy. I'm switching back on to them later today when I get home.

I think you'll be happy with them. I considered the s.drive tires for my Civic when they first came out and I had a couple of Honda guys tell me to look elsewhere. No real specific feedback, just that they weren't great tires. I ended up going with a set of Avon Tech M500's and I liked them (tirerack just recently discontinued them).

I finally swapped back to my Spec B wheels last night along with an oil change and installed my new lip. You can feel the weight a little compared to 17" I have for winter but it's nice to have them back on.

I see your from Pittsburgh, I'm about an hour south. I'm heading out on Saturday to an autoX at Beaverun if your interested.

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109076

I'm bringing my Spec B and I've got a friend with an '05 STi that's going, it's usually a good time. Let me know.

I'm still at school in Virginia right now, but I'm usually up at Beaverrun on sundays and occasionally on saturdays in the summer if i'm not working. I'll let you know if i'm going. But we have legacy meets in Homestead (near Kennywood) every once in a while, we normally post it in the Pittsburgh thread on the mid-atlantic forum. We also have a Subaru meet at Quaker State and Lube in Robinson on the first wednesday of every month. You should come out sometime if you don't mind the drive.

Anybody had any experience with the Yokohama S.drives? Thinking about buying some of these... now thinking about the sumitomos too...

I have tested the S-drives personally and would recomend the over the sumitomos just a better constructed tire. Or if you want some thing a little better go with the Advan S4's

The Sumi's at Tirerack in a 215-45-17 are $83 a piece. I am in the Pittsburgh area for half the week? Do you guys know about the Suby meet the first wednesday of every month out at Quaker Steak and lube in Robinson?

Yeah, I normally go to those in the summer, I'm in school now. They're a pretty good time though. We have just legacy meets too at Bar Louies at the Waterfront in Homestead too, check the Pittsburgh forum in the mid-atlantic forum.

I have tested the S-drives personally and would recomend the over the sumitomos just a better constructed tire. Or if you want some thing a little better go with the Advan S4's

Thanks, but its too late now, I ordered the sumitomos, they should be here today actually.

Anyone have thoughts on the 225/40/18 KUMHO ECSTA SPT KU31. I can have a set of 4 sent to my house for $350 shipped. I think due to the spectacular cost I may go with these. They seem to get good reviews on the rack and from others. Anyone have anything bad to say about these, speak now or forever hold your peace! :D

Archived